Will SOAPnet ever go HD?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know... I think probably not for a while, because isn't Y&R the only show shot in HD? Of course, if you want the best picture quality available, the only way to get that is by and over the air antenna. HD through your antenna is clearer YET than what you'd get from the cable company, because the cable company uses digital compression.

• Members

Thanks for the info... I didn't know GH was already in HD, and the toehr two ABC soaps are planning it. It is a double edged sword, HD is. You have the added clarity, but you also see alot more imperfections. OF course, since soaps are shot on videotape, that HD quality will only go so far. HD really looks it's best when the show your'e watching is shot on film (better contrast ratios), and your'e watching on a CRT picture tube set(much better black levels and no motion blur.

• Members

I agree. I have the first season of TV sitcom Living Single (1993) and all five seasons of Martin on DVD (1992-1997). This was back when the majority of multi-camera sitcoms were still shot on videotape before they pretty much all switched over to film by the end of the decade. The picture on DVD is as clear as if it were shot last year, rather than 16, 17 years ago. This whole HD thing where you can see every wrinkle, crevice and glob of eye makeup due to the extreme closeups soaps, such as Y&R and GH, use is not only unflattering to the actor, it's disillusioning to me as a viewer. It's like, "ew! They just look old with a whole bunch of pancake makeup!" It would be a sad day if DAYS goes HD with their horrible makeup.

Nobody wants to see this... nn4bi9.jpg ... in high definition. :o

• Members

Yes, you are so right. This whole move to flat screen TV's is nothing but a huge money grab. They are not more expensive to produce , but they ARE far cheaper to ship than an old fashioned picture tube TV. I still use Picture tube (There are still a few being made in the 27 inch size) because for me, a letterbox shaped TV would be a total waste, because I don't watch movies, 98 percent of my viewing is TV shows from the 60's and 70's, local news, Y&R, and Brothers and sisters (there ARE picture tube TV's that are letterbox shaped as well). There are pros and cons to each, and most people aren't aware of it:

Plasma:

Pros- Large screen size, less motion blur than LCD

Cons- EXPENSIVE, doesn't duplicate pure whites well, has to be professionally calibrated..no such thing as your contrast and color adjustment anymore, easy for sa burglar to carry out your 2,000$ TV before the police arrive.

LCD:

Pros- less expensive, brighter picture, large screen size

Cons- vieweing deteriorates rapidly if you view from an angle, had bulbs than burn out in a couple years... and cost about 150 bucks to replace, motion blur on fast action shows

Picture tube:

Pros- cheapest option, best quality picture..no motion blur, perfect black levels and pure whites, ease of operation and picture adjustment, realiability... most will give 10 years or more of trouble free service.

Cons- heavy and hard to handle, limited to 36 inch screen size.

If any of you had seen one of the (now defunct) Sony XBR series super fine pitch picture tube models side by side with plasma or LCD, you'd be STUNNED.. the quality of the HD on the picture tube make the other two look like DOGGIE DOO.

Archived