Y&R: Nelson's New MAB Interview

• Members

Before MM even appeared on Y&R, many posters here decided that he would do an even better job with the role of Adam so what happened? Where did all that love go? LOL! I don't know how anyone can be surprised that to find out that he is the same one note actor that he was on "Veronica Mars."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And what was intense about this summer? The fans hatred for the show? Because yeah, that was pretty damn intense.

And she is SOOOOOO off the mark.

Fans don't want to dictate story! That has never been the problem. They just want the stories to make sense and not insult their intelligence.

• Members

Exactly.

I remember getting into an exchange with someone here (no, not alphanguy) a few months back where this person claimed that there was no egotism invovled with MAB and that she acknowledges that her show has mistakes. This person even brought up Frank Valentini's quote about nothing being wrong with OLTL to prove how different MAB is. Now look at this, she says basically the same thing about nothing being wrong with this summer's Y&R.

As I've been saying for a while now, this writing regime at Y&R doesn't learn from any mistakes, that's why they keep repeating them. Now to have the HW and Co-EP basically say nothing is wrong with the show, this confirms the delusional people running this show into the ground and crapping on its legacy.

• Members

There was a lot of hype for Muhney because people assumed he would be more comfortable with the role than Engen. This also went along with the idea that the story was going to be a fascinating gay romance or hot steamy relationship without Engen. Then Muhney arrived and is just sort of cold and generic, and the gay relationship was a huge joke. Engen was the only thing holding the role together.

• Members

It's really sad and unfortunate that Y&R is stuck with someone that thinks super fast pacing, not playing all the story beats, constant victimization of women, ignoring half of the canvas, never writing for minority character and giving them crap when she decides they're worthy of an episode a month, super villains with no substance or motivation, overexposed characters that do the same repetitive things no matter the story, flip-flopping quads, dog killing, killing of core characters, neglecting the corporate side of the show which made Y&R distinct for many years, and other crappy/bad storytelling traits constitutes good soap opera and nothing about the show these past few months has been uneven and that no mistake was made on her and her writing team's part. :rolleyes:

This sh!t doesn't only infuriate me, it makes me very sad. This woman's ego is killing the very show she claims to love so much.

• Members

I didn't think he would be good, I had no clue who he was or how his acting was, I did not ever seem him at all until Y&R.

I have not watched any shows MM has been on.

I only saw pictures of when it was released MM would be the NuAdam and that was all.

I did not see any clips of him or anything he was on before Y&R.

I don't even watch Veronica Mars, so I didn't even know him or who he was as an Actor.

I knew where they were taking the Character and not just that, MM hasn't been on Soaps and besides look at his Character he is very dark.

In my opinion it works out VERY well if you have been on Soaps before and have a following.

• Members

If I remember correctly, that was me. And yeah - at the time I felt like MAB was a lot more humble than she is now. I have no defense for the "We haven't made any mistakes" argument. I think any writer in this genre who says they haven't made mistakes is full of sh_t. Hell, even Marland, Nixon and Bell had their clunkers. I don't understand that mentality, and I never will. And it really bothers me that she can't see that. There were a LOT of problems this summer, that even someone who likes the show now like myself can see, plain as day.

Having said that, I'm in a much happier place now staying out of these board wars and just watching the show for the last three weeks. Frankly, I don't ever want to read another interview or hear anything these people have to say behind the scenes ever again. I don't want my last memories of daytime to be me bitching to high holy heaven every single day about how bad something is while reading stupid comments by those writing/producing it, or waste God knows how many hours complaining about it online, all while watching it wither away slowly away into oblivion. I love you all, and have had a great time on this board for the last few years. And I'm still lurking. But life is just too short. I will watch while I find enjoyment, and then I will walk away and find something much more productive to do.

I'm so ambivalent to the discussion. I just want entertainment. I'm over quotes from these people driving the industry to the ground, the "journalists" (I use that term loosely) covering it, and the onslaught of "Why are they ruining my soap opera?" posts. They're about as repetitive, predictable and boring to read as baby switch stories are to watch. ;)

SON is great - and I've got nothin' but respect for the people I've come to so fondly enjoy talking to on here. But yeah - interviews like this are inexcusable and indefensible. So why bother dissecting it? I'm happier watching a show for 45 minutes every day, and good or bad, moving on with my life once it's over. Anything else is just too exhausting to me in my old age. LOL!

• Members

And when you see Thom NOW, he would have played that reveal much better (He wasn't BAD before, just mediocre). Alot of the strange pauses and such were due to Thom's rustiness and dumbell Rauch not versing Thom on the shooting procedures, which were signifigantly different from when he was on before. TRICIA filled him in on all that... TRICIA! Now what does that say about Rauch? All they needed to do was give him more "Australia" scenes, build up to the reveal more, have him come to town SECRETLY, and have multiple scenes with Cane, and some conflict BEFORE the reveal. He now appears comfortable and back in his groove, and considering how many eppies he's been in since the reveal.... It took him about 2 weeks of shooting to blow the cobwebs out. That's not out of line at ALL, but once again, the fast pace tripped them up on an important reveal. I'm not suprised by what Maria said in the interview, though... I'm sure she DOES know she's made mistakes, but she ain't gonna acknowledge such in a press interview.... not NOW. Maybe a couple years from now. It's called saving face..... people do it ALL THE TIME. Nelson just thinks up CRAPPY questions. Instead of wanking over Muhney for half the interview, or making broad, vague statements like the show being "uneven". "Uneven" how? If you expect the woman to answer something like that, you need to be more specific in your line of questioning. The primary question I would have asked her would have been: "Your father in law was the master of the slow build. What is the rationale behind the lightning fast pace we have seen on the show in the last several months?"

• Members

If she does know she's making mistakes, why isn't she set on correcting anything? Judging by the Fall spoilers, it's just more of the same.

She admitted that her first few months were horrible, but not to admit any mistakes now? Especially in Summer 2009? Please. Something isn't right there. Her ego has gotten too huge.

I'd like to know where the land of denial is located, because I'd like to meet Maria there.

• Members

I don't know if she truly is in denial, or she's just gonna do what she wants, and screw anyone else. I mean, that's what Bill Bell did 90 percent of the time. It's just that many liked his taste better. There's a difference between pandering to the fans, and playing to your audience. And I'll admit that she's pandering in the wrong places, and not playing to the fans where she SHOULD. I'm not going to beat her up over the darkness, cause we had that in spades many times, we had Chris Brooks held hostage by Rose Deville, Jill performing the tracheotomy on Stuart, Vanessa "unveiling" herself to Lorie, showing her scarred, deformed face. Vanessa's suicide, Victor holding Michael Scott prisoner in his basement, Victor making Michael watch him and Julia have sex, Crazy Edward, and Nikki throwing his mother's ashes all over him.... Nick Reed trying to rape his own daughter. But this all took place over 3 YEARS, not 6 months. PACING PACING PACING. I'm enjoying the last two weeks as well, Mike... but I also feel like I'm riding a psychotic horse to a burning stable. And when I dissect it, I also realize it's the actors being played that are making it enjoyable. The last two weeks, the entire show has literally been CARRIED by Doug Davidson. And Him, Tricia, and Beth are probabaly gonna carry the next two. But hey, as long as there's good scenes to watch, I'm THERE. I suppose the aqge of the slow build may be GONE, and I honestly think fans and their WHINING about SL's being "dragged out" are much of the cause. I'm a dinasaur, and I suppose I gotta move with it, or get left behind.

Archived