Y&R: Potpourri Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sheffer needs to go no matter what. He's a horrible writer. He somehow got through unscathed at ATWT and DAYS but his woman-hating, vet-hating, twisted storytelling, inability to pace stories, inability to write for friends or family, they have all been put in a big glaring spotlight on Y&R.

Hamner can go too.

• Members

They all need to go, I wouldn't want the aimeless/directionless Y&R that was an utter sleeping pill Maria Arena Bell wrote for most of 2008 before Sheffer joined.

This show needs a SINGLE vision, thus ONE Head Writer and a seperate Executive Producer. Having one person in both those roles doesn't offer a balance and there's no one there to second guess Maria on her decisions, especially when Maria is so very inexperienced herself (which shows on this soap).

The right people do need to be hired for both of these positions though.

The writing team, of course, also needs to be trimmed down.

If daytime and Y&R are ending in a few years, there's nothing left to lose. I'd rather a different writing and producing regime give me good stories or attempt to give me good stories than being stuck with this one. If it's all going to hell in a few years, we have nothing to lose.

I want to be able to say at least someone tried to save this show before it ended.

Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner all need to be fired. I'm sure none of them are hurting for money either.

• Members

No epiphany here, but.... God, they just need to really look for a fantastic writer, a person who really understands drama and is willing (and capable) to at least attempt to write the Y&R that Bill Bell wrote. I'm not saying that things can't evolve and change, but a good writer can balance the "modern" and "classic" aspects of the show, create original and provocative stories and restore the heart of the show. But that's not going to happen because such a writer will not be controllable or susceptible to other visions--unless the network decides to just let the person write. I know some will resent this, but, while they're looking for the new writer, Kay Alden can take over.

Seriously, the show had more heart under Latham than now.

• Members

That's scary, but true.

Look, I hate Latham and detest everything she did. However, she was at least better at balancing various things on the show. From the cast use, to the tone of the stories. We had more variety and heart under Latham, though her stories were very damaging, but the same can be said for stories under this regime.

You're gonna hear it from Sylph on that one! :lol:

• Members

Exactly the way I feel. I would never want her back, she was a disaster for the show, but less of a disaster than this regime.

:lol: I fully expect to :lol: Point is, Out of Smith, Latham and MAB, she's by FAR the most experienced person to write for the show and she *could* do wonders in restoring character integrity, tone, pacing and style.

• Members

That's what is truly missing. Even the MAB/Griffith era didn't bother me this much because I thought there was a bit more of a spirit to the show. That's why I put more blame on Sheffer, even though I know he's just one writer. He's done this to all his soaps. I know the show still has huge problems even if he goes, but it's a big start.

• Members

If someone were smart, they'd seek out an experienced storyteller, whether a playwright or novelist and give that person intensive soap opera writing training, from classes to tutoring from experienced soap writers. They could work on all aspects from the breakdown, to the script writing, and especially developing multiple long-stories. The training could last from 6 months to a year.

Who am I kidding? That's never going to happen! :lol:

Though, I'd love to see it happen with a playwright. I always believed that soaps were or could be the closest thing TV had to theatre, just a different episode everyday.

• Members

I sometimes get the feeling out of the most recent Y&R episodes that I used to get out of Sheffer's DAYS... this soulless existence, it's alive but it doesn't have a heart.

I wonder if there is some credibility to the theory that someone here (was it Mark?) posted about the possibility of the three headwriters taking turns in writing the show, which could explain the sudden changes in tone and style.

• Members

I think Y&R needs a overhaul in the creative department and a change of vision. Kind of like what Wendy Riche and Labine brought to GH in 1993 after the show tried to extend of the short-lived success of the Monty years and her idea of soaps, which was of course outdated by the early 90's.

The need some innovation, while remaining true to the classic element of soaps.

• Members

Well, Y&R is already intent on destroying whatever credibility it has with the WGA, so they might as well.

Seriously, doesn't anyone see how having two Fi-Core HW's, like Y&R, damages this show's reputation within the industry? Prior to this regime, Y&R used to always be up for WGA awards.

This is just one more reason why this writing regime needs to go!

Archived