Dickson announces re-release of "Welcome To My Home" in June

• Members

I watched some of the video. I'd never really been to her blog before. I guess I was wrong about the plastic surgery part...

I do feel sorry for her and what she's going through. She's right that women have a hard time in how society treats them. I have to admit I found the wording ("It is hard to believe something like this would happen in the United States of America, especially now with women's rights. ") amusing, but she's right.

I hope she can pull herself back together.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I suggested a reality show for Bren. I stumbled upon it on YouTube a few days after it was posted...I didn't know if it was real, if it was scripted, or if it was someone pretending to be her...or whateeeeever. I was just beside myself. I couldn't not watch. Her show wouldn't have to be edited together with interviews and such...just pick a 30 minute block of footage and air it. Each episode can begin with the WTMH clip of her saying "Well, hello. And welcome to my home."

• Members

I think most of the erratic nature of her behaviour is due to her being overmedicated. I had a good friend who went through a horrible divorce, and she was LOOPY when she was going through it, medicated by doctors for her anxiety and such. This was a woman who went from living in a 6,000 square foot home on a golf course to being on public assistance. Her husband had an affair with his secretary, she lashed out at him and threw him down a flight of stairs... he didn't file taxes for three years, unbeknownst to her... MAJOR DRAMA. But now, she's gotten a decent job, and has picked herself up and getten off those meds, and she's back to her normal self. I see alot fo similatrities between things Bren has done, to things my friend also did. But I agree, that a reality show for her would be a GOLDMINE.

• Members

I adore Brenda Dickson, I just adore her. I've always been captivated by her scenes as Jill. I do love Jess Walton, but if I was allowed to pick who would be in the role of Jill, I'd pick Brenda Dickson any day. I wish she was never fired back in 1987.

I'm glad she is becoming independent and more stable. I think a tell all book would be a fantastic idea and many, many people would buy it. I know she did a jewelry line back in November/December. It was all really campy and ugly, but I hope it was somewhat lucrative for her.

Her in a reality series would be a fabulous idea too. I believe Brenda would kick ass, she's just that great.

I honestly think a lot of things contributed to the way Brenda is today. From my understandings, Brenda grew up poor (at least that's what she claimed in one of her blogs) and Jill grew up poor. Brenda's first marriage brought her into a new world that was rather glamours but I don't think it was all that happy as that marriage ended. Jill had two marriages that brought her into a more glamorous world, Stuart Brooks and then John Abbot until Jill became a fully independently wealthy woman. Deep down, I think Brenda is someone who is often misunderstood. I think she shared some similarities with her character and that obviously affected her in a negative way. I also think that she was wronged several times in her life, including what happened with Y&R. It's all very tragic. I just wish the best for Brenda. God, how I'd love to meet her!!! She's a hoot!!!

That eviction video was sad. To me Brenda is just a nut, a big crazy nut and I love her for it!!! As long as she remains healthy and sane, I'm happy for her!

• Members

How long ago was the photo where she asked people to write to Desperate Housewives to get her a part? If anything would rev up that show, she would.

How many of you knew about Brenda Dickson before the Internet? I had a familiarity with her work, and read about her in soap magazines, but I didn't get to really experience her Y&R performances or read about her life until the past few years. I imagine the Internet and Youtube have been a boon to her. I think her story is very current. A woman fighting to keep control at a time when a lot of people are searching for their identity and trying to maintain control. If a book publisher or a reality show producer don't get involved, they're missing a big opportunity.

• Members

Well said Carl!

I was a little over a year old when Jess Walton took over the role of Jill. So I've always known Jess as Jill, but when I first discovered Brenda Dickson, I just fell in love with her. I totally agree with everything you said.

I'm not sure if many people realize this, but the two women in my avatar are Liz Foster and Jill Foster, Brenda Dickson's Jill from the 1978 Y&R opening.

I think Brenda Dickson is a gold mine. She certainly is one to never be forgotten.

• Members

The first time I saw that I wasn't looking closely and thought it was Jeanne and Brenda.

By the time I started watching, Liz was gone, but in her brief returns since she's always enhanced Jill as a character. Julianna McCarthy is such a great actress and has such a presence, even in small roles like her work on the Dark Shadows remake. I wish they used her more often.

The Jill I most remember is Jess. I think Jill is one of those characters who epitomizes what daytime is supposed to be. I wasn't sure how I would react to seeing more of Brenda in the role, but she's also great. They are very different actresses, but the true nature of the character (the pain, the sharp wit, the loneliness and the insecurity from their poor upbringing, the need for male companionship, the love/hate with Katherine, the unswerving belief that they are right) shines through with both women in the part.

• Members

I was pretty young when she left Y&R, but it still took me a long time to accept JW. Brenda Dickson was a very different actress and the character has never been the same. Of course, I've long since accepted JW and adore her in the role too.

As to her legal troubles, I feel bad for her because I think she has mental problems. But when I read her going on and on about

the millions of dollars she thinks she is owed in spousal support, a big part of me thinks "get a job'.

• Members

She said in the blog post below the video that while she was in jail she got an e-mail from Marc Cherry asking her to be on Desperate Housewives. I find that hard to believe.

Notice how she spells Marc's name? It's weird, but it's like seeing what would have happened to Jill Abbott in real life once she divorced John. They're quite similar (Jill in the 80's). They play the victim, they don't take responsibility for their actions and they love the spotlight.

• Members

Ah... you younguns have missed so much, that's why I think that some damn body needs to repeat Y&R from the beginning, so you all can experience the early years. I was 5 when Y&R premiered, and watched with my mother throughout my entire childhood, up to today. Not just Brenda, but the 70's had so much to love... Katherine in all her chiffon-clad drunken glory, Brock with his shirt open to his navel, Joe Ladue in those TIGHT white pants (I swear he must not have worn underwear!) Lorie at her selfish, bitchy best, and then the whole Traci/Lauren thing in the mid 80's when I was finishing high school... just wonderful stuff. I am still DYING for someone to put up more of Beth Maitland and her singing. There's only been one song so far, somebody has to have MORE. I distinctly remember her singing a version of "The Rose" just her and a piano, and a duet between her and Damian of Anne Murray's "You Needed Me". She blew his ass of the stage (and a cute ass it was). But your'e right... Brenda's a VERY different type of actress, a throwback to old hollywood, similar to Joan Collins in alot of ways, all breathy and theatrical.

• Members

I was 8 when it premiered.

There were two Brendas. Before her first departure, she was pretty restrained. That was my favorite Jill, and I mostly sympathized with her.

Then there was the second coming..."streetfighter in silk" is what Brenda called that version of Jill. I felt little emotional connection to that Jill, and I seldom sympathized with her.

I think I preferred Adair's Jill for that reason...she reconnected a bit to the 'sweetness' in Jill...even as she was a lying, manipulative insecure bitch.

On the other hand, I am now totally on board with Walton's Jill, because I could see how you could get hard and mean like that after a life of continuous disappointment and loneliness.

=======

ETA: The Rose!!!

Do you remember that storyline? Awesome!

Traci was taking voice lessons, and that threatened Lauren, who wanted to be Danny's singing partner.

So she paid off or blackmailed the voice teacher to tell Traci that she couldn't sing.

Traci was devastated.

That story played out for delicious weeks!

Yes, I would LOVE to hear her version of The Rose again....

Archived