Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

Easily explained??? Whatever the reason, drugs, homophobia, depression, being generally a douche - he's the biggest loser i've read about in a long time. There's no excuse for what he did. People accross this country are STRUGGLING to make ends meeet and he quits a 6-figure job cause he's unhappy. How many people hate their jobs yet do it every day, thankful that they have one. there is NO justification or VALID explanation for doing what he did.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel bad for Yanni (well i felt bad for him in the first place cause he's named Yanni, but..) - he's being exposed to all this drama that he has nothing to do with. Ruxton, you should call him up and give a hug! ;)

ETA - Yanni had no clue Rafe was gay when he signed on to play Rafe. There's an actor!

• Members

I don't know if agree Cashton. I don't know if Engen had a "valid" reason but if he's happier off the show (knowing the cost to his career), then he made the right decision for himself. Money is important and so is job security but there are other things that drive people. Some people can be happy with very little money. What is valuable to one person is not always valuable to another. Now don't get me wrong -- money matters to me! I have met quite a few people though who don't care that they don't have any.

Yanni is gorgeous. There are plenty of men and women who would be happy to kiss him.

• Members

I live in a far grayer world than you do, I guess. So be it.

Regardless, my point was and is that Nelson shouldn't be the author of this story. He is a wholly unreliable source. That's all I really want: a better source. I wouldn't trust Branco to tell me that kittens are cute.

• Members

All I know again is that we still don't know for sure that he actually walked off. There is still too much to the story and considering Y&R's recent past with tough negotiations with Jess Walton and Melody Thomas Scott and firing Adrianne Leon over weight issues - how do we not know that they planned all this from the get go. If that is all the case then Engen may not be able to speak because he is working to sue the Bells and Sony.

There is too much to the story not know to condemn someone.

I don't believe anything that comes out anymore and over the last few years I am learning more and more and more that it comes down to there are two sides to every story. And we are not hearing but what they want us to hear at this point.

And another thing I am quickly learning is that no matter what it is fans take the side of the person they like. And this time people are looking at the perception that Engen didn't want to kiss a guy and going with it whether it is true or not. When it was Jess Walton against Y&R - the Y&R backstage folks were dogs and Walton was the angel even though it was reported she refused to go to work.

It is ridiculous the two facedness that comes into it all. And sorry if that offends.

I don't know what the story is but I am not going to sit on a message board and slander a person's reputation when I don't know the whole story.

• Members

Nelson is one tool (i know you like that description!) of his downfall but the blame lies with him. And if it gives my perspective any more enlightment to you - I'm an actor so this rings many chords in me as you can imagine. The Adam Wilson part is one of the best in daytime and he throws it away. I, too, hope he's happy with his decision and that he's happier away from Hollywood. I think we can both agree he shouldn't have pursued daytime television with his issues - whatever they may be.

• Members

The difference is Jess Walton wanted to work! She wanted a contract. Engen bolted because he didn't want to be on the show. There is a major difference between the two. I highly doubt Engen is suing Bells and Sony. He messed up and knows it! Either that or doesnt give two s h i t s.

• Members

As Cara Mia said, I really think right now his hands are legally tied. He has to keep his mouth shut until he finds out if his *ss is going to be sued into poverty, and until he finds out if cannot work again till this contract expires (which is probably about 3 years hence). So, he's got to be a very good boy and hope Sony/Bell lets him off with minimal punishment.

Well, it will be a while. the legal stuff has to get worked out. Moreover, very often when people go public with their side of the story in a tale like this (Mel Gibson, Michael Richards), they end up coming off as defensive and disingenuous. It is almost better to be quiet, let this blow over, and try to succeed in some other domain (theater, films).

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 23 2009, 05:20 PM)
Honestly, I know Nelson is dramatic and all, but he IS correct more often than not. Who is he interviewing next week? MARIA ARENA BELL. It's not like he has third rate sources, he has the heavy hitters. Also, it's true that he's the only one getting major interviews with stars like Jess Walton you don't see out in the press a lot. If you're upset with his scoops, particularly this, blame MAB and her team who are clearly giving him this information. He's obviously very close to the Bell's so this is their side of the story.

Yes. Exactly. There is a lot of doubt-casting on Nelson, but for all of his unique features (someone on Usenet called him an 'entertainer' rather than a 'journalist', and I think he might actually agree with this), he usually gets the story right. Sometimes, he is basically an activist, and changes the direction of things.

Yes.

Woo. You are funny. A little vindictive, but funny :). I hope I stay on your good side.

Good point...we don't know the whole story.

Actually, his name is spelled "Yani", I think. But you're right about his signing on not knowing Rafe was gay. Direct quote:

I bolded the last part of the last quote. Wow.

• Members

See that is all speculation just like my speculations. Sorry but you don't know whether that is any truer than anything I said. I can say that I doubt Engen really walked out and can say that I bed Y&R fired him - but in the end I don't know whether that is true or not - anymore than you know what you said.

And at the time when everyone was siding with Walton we were only going on speculation that she did want to work. We didn't really know that to be true but she was given the benefit of the doubt. She could have walked out over something stupid or frivolous - we did not know. We only went on what her camp was saying.

The difference is people liked her and gave her the benefit of the doubt. If this is all a ploy from Y&R to keep from villainized by fans like they were with Scott, Leon, Sherwood, Rowell, Davidson and Walton, they are doing a good job. All they had to do was rile up us gays by saying what they did and they got their wish. This time they are the angels and the actor this time gets the bite of the fans.

Face it folks Y&R has not had the best track record with publicity and actors in the last few years. How many times have they been raked over the coals on this very board alone. With every one of the names I mentioned above they were crucified.

So excuse me if I don't buy what they are saying 100% this time.

• Members

Bro - this is not Y&R's fault. What you don't understand is that the character of Adam is not GAY, nor or they planning on making him gay, he is seducing a gay guy to keep his secret that he is gaslighting Ashley. MAB was not involved in the firing of Adrienne Leon, it was the previous regime. If kissing another man is such an issue for him, then he should never have signed up to be on a serial. He should just do written bodies of work that he can approve or not approve of. And for me, as an actor, if I sign a contract for 4 years I would be certain there would be times I would not like my s/l, but I signed the contract on my own free will.

• Members

What if it's revealed that Engen did in fact walk out for the reasons already reported? Would we still be in the wrong for saying the things we've said in regards to his decision?

• Members

Thanks for posting this Mark, I had not seen this.

I find that bolded part interesting because some RUMORS in this are saying that the kiss was thrown on CE and was not discussed with him. I wonder why they would discuss something in one case and not another.

That's werid.

• Members

I mean, we don't know that for sure (whether Adam is gay), but I think you are right.

Engen could have played these scenes AND signalled disgust when "Rafe's" back was turned. He could totally have registered his disgust. He passed on a great opportunity...but some dudes just can't do it.

In that sense, I feel CE made a choice (quit, take career consequences), and I basically respect it. He'll pay for this stance, but that's his right.

We get, in return, an excited and energetic actor who is looking forward to the perverse and twisted aspects of the role, AND is taking it with full foreknowledge.

Everyone's gonna win, in the end.

Archived