Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You may or may not be aware that my YouTube account was hit repeatedly & initially it seemed that I'd lost everything. The 3rd party company acting on behalf of DAYS challenged everything including AW content, Santa Barbara content, Awards shows & Entertainment Tonight & all of the clips that were clearly covered under Fair Use doctrine. When someone challenges YT apparently just assumes that they are right. During the appeals process, which took months, I was able to get access to about 85% of my files. I've started over with a new YT acct. & except for the AW Bench videos, which are compilations, everything so far is a clip. However, those AW videos are now too long. Something has changed since the time I uploaded them 25 years ago, so now the only way to be able to see them is uploaded on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/soapthegoodthebadtheugly/learning_content/?filter=3118975768237043

• Members

You probably know this, Donna, but YouTube will accept a copyright challenge from ANYBODY, without regard to whoever actually owns the copyright.  So there are copyright nazis (living in their parents' basements) who spend their time searching YouTube for anything that might possibly not be public domain. And then they send copyright challenges to YouTube which, as you said, just assumes they are right. Sadly, Wikipedia handles similar challenges the same way -- just assuming the claims are correct.

I completely support the rights of copyright owners. But if the copyright owners don't care, why should someone completely unconnected to the property be able to file a challenge??   I do not understand how that is good for anybody.     

• Members

These disgusting youtube nazis are actually deranged fans... I know about one guy a Bold fan that just DOESN'T want ANYONE to have anything... and he reports everything he sees on the internet. I know about other people like that too.

It's really disgusting, since there were THOUSANDS of soap opera episodes deleted in this way. Because of some deranged fan or a trader that doesn't want the episodes to be available.

That's why I believe youtube should not respond to these basically anonymous copyright claims.

I've had so many channels banned that I have lost hope.

• Members

Well, it doesn't make any sense to me for YT to be in the business they're in but not apply any rationale, or customs & practices, or just plain rules to the challenges. Right off the bat the challenger should have standing with regard to the copyright. And, they shouldn't wholesale close an account - which cannot be reopened - unless every item in the account is liable. That right there makes no sense. I have a YT account that is nothing but videos of Westie puppies & thank god I kept it separate. I thought about putting it all in the same account for sheer convenience but thought better of it. 

Being able to upload & organize videos on FB is actually quite nice, organized, works well, but there are always people who can't access FB. They need to create a FB Lite account!

The way it is handled is such a mess! They really need to do better. I don't understand why they don't. I am aware of a new video filing site but I am leery of it because it is Russian. 

Anyway, thanks, as always, for your thoughts. 

• Members

I have no idea how they are doing it, but they are. I actually was chatting with a guy YEEEEEEARS ago... that deranged fan I was talking you about... I knew him as A SUPER FAN of the show and we were in contact because of instagram... and because we were flirting a bit online. When I mentioned to him that I had watched some 80s Bold episodes... he asked me WHERE THE HELL DO YOU HAVE THESE EPISODES from. Me, without knowing better - gave him the private playlist that someone else had shared with me. This fan then... just stopped responding for a while and after a couple of hours they messaged me something in the style of - I have reported the videos for copyright. These people should not have them up. It's not theirs... and you should not share the ones you have! 

He was one step at asking me to DELETE my personal collection.  ALL WHILE I KNEEEEEEW he had all the years of Bold recorded from his personal VHS tapes.

That playlist got down because of him and I was really shocked... that I had unknowingly helped a troll like that.

Then through the years I've seen people comment under videos that they will take them down... again - FANS OF THE SHOWS... 

• Members

To this day I cry when I remember all of ALL MY CHILDREN from 1990 to the end was up in playlists... and got deleted before I even watch a single episode. I am still devastated.

• Members

I am quite sure that the most regular ones are the people that are SELLING these episodes... which are doing the really ILLEGAL thing. They don't want the episodes up, because it kills their scam.

• Members

Similarly I know of a collector with quite a bit of rare stuff & he makes a proviso that if he sells you a DVD you cannot post it on any kind of social media. That way it doesn't hurt future sales to his cottage industry. He found an episode of Miss Susan & just gave it to me, which was this incredibly rare thing for him to do. But, it was because he wanted me to include it in the Star Billing blog. And, in fact it is the first ever example of Star Billing on a soap. So I thanked him & acknowledged him in the blog & counted it my good fortune. But, I'm sure a lot of collectors who are in it to sell DVDs have practices that seem odd to the rest of us.