Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Between Iris's marriages and Mac's breakups, there were many times when Mac would join her for breakfast prior to going to the office.  A scene like that was described in the novelization Haunted by the Past, when Mac is chastising Iris about Clarice (see below). So, I would assume that the scene in question could have occurred after one of her many fights with either husband.

My main image of Iris during the 1970s was that she was frequently costumed in a marabou-trimmed peignoir or a house coat, because Iris rarely got dressed before noon. However, upon review of the images, Iris's robes were usually buttoned up to the throat, so Mac couldn't have remarked on her need to cover up.  Not that I am questioning the validity of anyone's memory, I just do not recall the dialogue that was mentioned.

Please register in order to view this content

The red one may be an evening gown, not a peignoir, but to be fair, they all looked alike

But, @Mona Kane Croft I can't watch this scene and not think of your insinuation  I mean, it's a little cringe to see iris kiss Mac on the lips.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Both the impulse to rapidly age characters who are too young and the pull to keep characters who would otherwise be too old within a generational age bracket have the same root cause -- perception of romantic viability. I tend to think of the phenomenon as a whole as time elasticity, because it expands and contracts unpredictably but it tends to keep the generations in place more or less.

Cass did seem to stay in the same generation for his entire time on the show -- fully adult but never the parent of an adult, which I think tends to be represented as roughly anywhere from 25 to 45. Cecile was considered age-appropriate for Jamie, Sandy, Cass, and Peter. 

For Matthew, who was born on the show, we saw him pass through infancy to a toddler stage and then he was SORASed to about 14 before he jumped to college age and then eased into general maturity. Did he become generally mature at the point when he went into business with D&M and started an affair with Lorna?   

Just thinking about when the show did and did not acknowledge an age disparity in relationships ... by the time I was watching I didn't realize that Rachel was Mac's much younger wife. I was a child and they both just read as adults to me. I know that Matt was scandalously younger than Donna (who had also had flings with Catlin and Jake). But I don't recall it coming up that Cass was older than Lila, or John was older than Kelsey -- maybe I missed it. Any other acknowledged May-December romances I am not thinking of? Dee had an inappropriate crush on Cass and I think Cheryl had an inappropriate crush on John.   

• Members

I think if the show had not been wrapping up they would have gone further down that path. Where they left it Felicia seemed to have affection for Sergei even though he was frequently maddening, and Sergei I think at least once tried to suggest that perhaps they should kiss, although I don't remember if Felicia reciprocated.

That does remind me that when Felicia came into town wasn't she sleeping with Gil, her driver? He was young enough that he dated Julia but I am not sure if the story made anything of the age difference.

Dee (Deirdre Evans; played by Katie Rich) was the uncouth niece of loan shark Tony "the Tuna" Jones. Tony wanted Dee to attend Bay City's debutante ball which required her to be accepted by snooty society matron Enid Royer, so he demanded that Cass prepare Dee for the interview. Dee would have been supposed to be about 18, like Nancy and Marley, who were both also making their debuts that season. (It was absolutely expected for Marley and a bit of a social climb for Nancy.) Kathleen did not fully trust Cass at the time and there was an incident where Dee kissed Cass, Kathleen misinterpreted the situation and broke up with him (or if they were broken up at the time refused to reconcile with him) even though nothing had actually happened and Cass did not instigate it or pursue it any further.

Depending on how you measure time, although Anne Heche was 19 when she started on AW in 1987, Victoria had turned 18 in 1985 on the show and could therefore have been considered 21 in 1988 when she seduced Jamie. I don't think there was any acknowledgement in the storyline at the time that Vicky or Lisa was "too young" for Jamie in any way, which is sort of what I was getting at generally -- they don't consider age differences to be significant in most cases even if objectively there must be a significant gap. And it seems to be more likely for it to be an issue plot-wise if the woman is older than the man.

The sinister lookalike Rex Allingham came a couple of years later, after Kathleen was presumed dead in a plane crash. Unless you mean Krystle Lake, Cass' disguise that he started using when he returned from Majorca in order to hide from Tony -- but that was exposed pre-Dee at New Year's Eve.

• Members

So, there are three things that you may be conflating

The reason Cass had to tutor Dee to become a debutante was because he owed money to Tony the Tony.  In order to hide from Tony, Cass dressed in drag as Krystal Lake.

Then, years later, Rex Alingham, a Cass look alike, took over his life for awhile in Bay City while Cass was kidnapped.

Then, years after that, Jake owed money to a gambling ring, and he went in drag as Bunny Eberhardt.  And when Jake had a brain injury and got amnesia, he went by the alias Bunny

• Members

Uh, problem. Bunny Eberhardt was the name of the hit person that Marcia McCabe played. Was it a character name that did double duty? Maybe did Jake pick up the name from her? Just mentally stretching here ... I thought Jake's drag name was something else. 

Other Aliases: Jake Thomas McKinnon (full name). Bunny Eberhardt (alias). Doris Pepperdine (female identity. AKA Doris Schmedlap). (From Eddie's page)

So, yes, double duty character name but Jake's drag name was Doris!

Edited by Donna L. Bridges