Y&R: Week of April 27, 2009

• Members

Yeah, I agree. I also get the feeling that TPTB don't know what to do now that they've made them unrelated, and will have them hurl insults at one another they can come up with something concrete. I have a bad feeling by undoing the parentage will only go the same way of Jack Smith making them related.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They do seem to be at an impasse. There's only so much bitching Jill can do. i don't like it that in scenes where people are reaching out to Jill and Jill is so self-pitying in that "now everything is great cause I'm not Kay's daughter!" Hello, Jill! You made it your priority to do anything possible to keep Kay from reclaiming her name. Hurtling insult after insult and doing everything in her power to hurt Katherine. NO ONE BRINGS THIS UP! If Jill had done the right thing from the get go, they never would have found out that Kay/Jill are not related. It galls me that no one says this to her.

• Members

I think I figured out Heather--at least where Kevin is concerned. (And maybe even Adam, when she threw the book at him).

Heather looks at Kevin and says "This guy had a very similar upbringing as me. Kevin's dad slapped him around and threw him in the closet. My stepfather slapped my mother around--enough that she had to kill him to avoid our being killed. Kevin grew up without protective sibs or a father figure for much of his childhood...me too."

And then Heather looks at herself and says "But look at me. I worked through that. I channeled that into a drive to succeeed...I earned my way through Princeton. I became a law-and-order girl to right the injustices of the world".

In other words, Heather's hard shell is her defensive, self-protective layer...because she was so badly hurt as a girl. She has eshewed weakness, and her sanctimoniousness ("look at what I achieved") is an offshoot of how hard she pushed herself to get to this point.

So, she looks at Kevin, and she sees weakness. She feels he should have overcome his past, as she feels she did.

Of course what we, as viewers, can see, is that Heather has no more escaped her past than Kevin has. Maybe she is not catatonic or a firebug. But she is aloof, socially inept, judgmental, and (like her mother) she still makes bad choices where men are concerned. She's *JUST* as damaged as Kevin...just differently...and she doesn't know it.

• Members

Well, that's one way of putting it. (By the way, great analysis, Mark. It almost makes me wish Kevin and Heather had romantic chemistry. Almost.)

Nevertheless, a part of me does wonder what would happen if Heather faced the same bureaucratic brick wall as a victim (of a sexual assault, let's say) that others always face with her as a prosecutor. Would she become more sympathetic toward "the other side" and perhaps give up her high-profile job to become a public defender?

• Members

I'd be happy to recap the clues we've seen so far (teehee):

A. MJ's ears perk up when Victor tells MJ her assignment is regarding Jack Abbott.

B. She has brought up on many occasions Jack's 5 ex-wives.

C. She said she never flew in a jet before.

D. She has a baby-complex (flinched when Jack asked if she had children).

E. Ashley and Jack referenced his first marriage (without saying the name Patty).

F. MJ knew about John's portrait in the den.

These facts dismiss Mari Jo (she didn't have a baby complex), Diane (she's flown in jets), Sheila (Victor would never hire her), and Emma Gibson (she never has visited the Abbotts home (as far as we know).

P.S. - I know nothing of Lindsay Wells, but I can't see it being her, at all.

• Members

She lost her baby after finding out about Jack and Diane. She clearly has never moved on. Plus she's psycho. Look at how she stalks Jack. and Victor is paying her royally, I'm sure. Revenge and money mixed in with psycho-obscession is the perfect motivation for Patty. Plus, there's this scene posted on Y&R's youtube page labeling it a "classic scene" (i can post it again if you like), but Jack pretty much did the same exact thing to Patty when she was in love with him. He used her to get in good graces with John so he could be president or something at Jabot. It all fits, to me at least. But I could easily be eating my words when it's all revealed!! :)

• Members

But that's why Patty shot him! (Well, actually, she was going to shoot herself, but Jack begged her to shoot him instead.) And if memory serves me correct, Patty even hung around for awhile, and dated Danny.

I'm sorry, Cashton, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with you and MTSRocks here. I don't think Mary Jane is Patty. IMO, that's a reach.

• Members

Okay, who do YOU think she is? The plastic surgery strongly leads us to believe she is someone whom Jack knows.

Also, the name "Mary Jane Benson" shares at least a starting point with "Mary Williams" (Patty's mom)..one could imagine she had adopted her mother's maiden name.

• Members

I wish there was a thread for "Who Do YOu Think Mary Jane Is?" I'd be all over it! I didn't watch Y&R when Patty was on and khan's right - she did make some sort of peace and moved on to Danny then left. But I think Patty never could get over what Jack did to her. Perhaps she can't have a baby now cause of the mis-carriage (I'm pulling out all of the soap tricks now!), but MJ is playing Jack the same way he played her (from the scenes online and character bios). And she's clearly crazy so logic sort of goes out the window.

• Members

This, too, is a stretch, but...

If you recall, Jack's mother, and John's first wife, Dina, ran off years ago with another man to Paris; and the Abbott clan saw neither hair nor hide of her until they found out she, as CEO of her late second husband's company, was behind a takeover attempt at Jabot.

I think it's absolutely possible that Dina was pregnant again by John when she left, and that Mary Jane is her and John's daughter. (Ashley, you'll remember, is not John's daughter, but Brent Davis'.)

That would make her (Mary Jane) related not just to Jack, Ashley, Billy, and Traci, but to Colleen, Abby, Keemo, and Kyle; and, perhaps more importantly, another claimant to the Abbott family empire.

Archived