Are Daytime Soaps Doomed - Yahoo.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How come there has been no discussion on troubled soaps moving to a second tier network, or first run syndication?? Networks such as ION, CW, etc... all these local independent stations would probabaly kill for the numbers that DOOL and GL pulls. Might be good for struggling soaps to move to a different pool, and be a big fish in a small pond. The Passions idea of going to sattelite subscription was BAD. You need local affiliates in EVERY major market in the country (and many older viewers watch Over the air.. and not on cable.). Syndicated shows can be hugely successful, I mean, look at the Muppet show!!! That was a show ABC, CBS, and NBC all turned down, and ITC just sold it to all local station, like they did 2 years before with Space:1999.... and everyone made a BUNDLE, while the networks were biting their knuckles with jealousy.

• Members

That's exactly what I was referring to. That and Tori suggesting Emma Samms for Fallon. Of course Joan "made" Dynasty, and we're only talking about one show here opposed to an entire industry, but my point is I wish there were more influential people with eyes and hearts for the industry in high places like that (i.e., the bedroom or Daddie's heart).

Archived