OLTL bringing back next day previews

• Members

Sorry if this was already posted

From NY Daily News Article:

Tune in tomorrow: "One Life to Live" will go back to promoting the next day's episodes next week. "We have an amazing story coming in November, and we want the audience to get a sneak preview every day," says executive producer Frank Valentini.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm all for the EP credit at the end. I *love* those things, and not just on Y&R. I love how the 80s primetime soaps would end with a freeze frame, with the EP credits superimposed. The current Degrassi show does the exact same thing. And then lots of 90s shows did the awesome fade to black with the EP credits.

I'd love either doing an EP credit at the end or maybe even just the show's title card. Or they could even do a quick thing where they tell viewers that if they missed a part of the episode or just want to see it again, they can tune in to SOAPnet to catch an encore.

• Members

I absolutely love that, too. MELROSE used to do it, GILMORE GIRLS, THE OC and ONE TREE HILL still does it... but other than that the EP card is obsolete and it's a shame, because it's always wonderful how it fades to black and the music continues from the scene before (MP and Y&R did that especially well). I actually prefer the fade to black thing than the superimposed credits (I feel they are a little too 80s, but then again I haven't seen how DEGRASSI does it), but either would be great.

• Members

The way Degrassi does it is a very daytime-style of doing it, I think. The frame freezes usually on a tight, tight close-up shot of one of the characters, usually with a very angsty look on their face.

And yes, the music for the fade to blacks is always great. That quintessential MP guitar riff did wonders (wonders) for its cliffhangers. Just thinking about it makes me hate SOAPnet even more for dropping the show! I think most (if not all) of the CW shows still do it. It's such a small, small detail, but it adds so much. Compare the ending of one of those shows to the ending of a "Desperate Housewives" episode, with the ridiculous cut to black and that's it. That's way choppy and fugly, IMO.

• Members

Is it just me or is the timing kinda fishy, esp

I think instead of showing previews of the next day, they should show a promo of what's to come like how all primetime shows have done it. A promo basically sumarizing the entire week stuffed with some of the most juicy moments of that week.

I gotta say the only time I didn't like it, on a soap other than Y&R, was GL. Other than having a bad taste in choosing an opening for the soap he was producing, the text John Conboy used for the credits and EP card were not all that great.

Archived