OLTL: Has anyone else given up watching this show?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I enjoyed the show tremendously under Carlivati's pen up through Nash's funeral. Shortly thereafter the wheels started to come off, and I became very bored.

I liked Rex and Gigi until they became IMO the center of Llanview. Now I don't care if Brody kills Rex, Gigi and Shane. I just don't care.

I NEVER cared about Marty ever. I was always Marty neutral. Didn't hate her. Didn't love her. I've tried to approach this current story with an open mind and treat it like the psychological thriller that it is. But day after day of Todd and Marty in one room and him lying to her has become boring for me. There hasn't been sufficient progression to keep me engaged, and what progression there has been, their sexual relationship, has gone too far and I find it repugnant.

I think Tess is the most ridiculous villainess ever and I can't bear to watch her anymore. Natalie stuck in a room throwing pillows and talking to herself (or the monitor) is boring. Jared stupidly stumbling into Tess's web makes him very unappealing to me. Tina's participation, although under duress, is not the least interesting or endearing to me. The best part of that story is the dog.

I don't care about Starr and Cole or what happens to their baby.

There are many other parts of the show that I enjoy, just not enough to suffer the above. I think many viewers and posters suffer the delusion that what they think represents the majority position. I don't know why they believe that, but it seems almost everyone does. I don't claim to know what the AUDIENCE wants and I really don't care what anyone else wants. I only know what I've wanted and what I was enjoying before this. I endured the summer from hell with aid of my FF button, and when I started fastforwarding the majority of the show, I realized it was a senseless exercise. I am waiting for the resurrection of the BE storyline and the Buchanan quest to restore their legacy. I am waiting for Viki to return and rebuild her relationship with Charlie, and rescue her daughters. I am waiting for Marty to be discovered (but I don't care that much). I am waiting for Dorian to get her comeuppance. When I start seeing these stories elevated, I'll be ready to tune back in. I will be invested in these storylines, and there are others that I will find peripherally entertaining.

I completely agree. But I argue that their opinions are as valid as anyone's. All that matters is are they being entertained? If they're not, no matter the underlying elements, the show sucks. This isn't a committed monogamous relationship. There is no infidelity or betrayal. If you're no longer entertained, stop watching. It doesn't make you wrong. If you're being entertained, enjoy, but don't think that makes you right. You're just one of the lucky ones who is being entertained.

Where differing opinions become so polarizing IMO is when any of us presumes that WE KNOW what the AUDIENCE wants to see. That we as individuals are representative of something larger than ourselves. That one poster has the definitive finger on the pulse of the larger viewership. I just don't believe that any single one of us has that clarity. We only know what entertains us personally.

• Members

Going back a few pages, bc I've stayed out of this thread for the past few days...

Isn’t that what RC sort of did during his first few months?

If Ron has done anything during his tenure so far I think it’s been giving Todd his comeuppance. Just look at where he was while looking for Marcy, and where he is now. Looking back at that, I pretty much have faith that RC will have Todd get what’s coming to him. Whether Todd will understand what he has done is wrong, well that's another story, and rooted in the character.

And if I might add it was an example, IMO, of how good his stuff was earlier this year for people to compare him to Marland and others. His stories connected like some of the soap greats had once done, also while captivating the viewers. You didn’t know which story would branch out into another one. Of course we know now he isn’t like Marland or any of the greats, but IMO he’s still quite talented.

• Members

I always get bored during the summer. It doesn't matter who is writing the show or what stories are featured, I always get bored. My main reason for watching the show is on a long 3 month vacation every summer. It is a testament to my love for this show that I still tune in even when she's off on a stupid trip to Africa. This summer seems worse to me than previous summers, but I can reckon anyone go back to what I've written last summer and I've said the same thing. I just am frigging bored because my reason to watch isn't here. There are stories that still entertain me. It pretty much depends on who is featured on any given day as to if I watch or not. Charlie, Clint, Dorian, Dallas, and Tina are pretty much the only reason I'm watching. I don't watch anything with Rex/Gigi or Todd/Marty or Starr so I ff all their scenes. I'm waiting very impatiently for Viki to return and for the Viki/Charlie love story to pick up. I loved RC from the moment he started penning the show until after the anniversary show. It feels like the life went out, but that is just my perspective on what I'm seeing on the screen right now. I am getting excited about what is coming up so I'm cautiously optimistic that things will pick back up and I'll get into the show again.

Archived