What would you do to save GL?

• Members

Needless to say we need a new headwriter and a new executive producer.

How about Lorraine Broderick and Hogan Sheffer as headwriters?

Millie Taggart would make a good addition to the writing team while someone from Bill Bell's Y&R team could serve as executive producer. Bill Bell taught them the importance of continuity and these people are not fans of constant drastic change with no reason/.

The new format should be dropped. ATWT makes a much better use of it, only in scenes when it is needed. GL should go this way too.

We need ANOTHER new opening. New music, new logo, new images. Something new. And classy for a change.

Now as far as the stories are concerned...

Since the show is such a mess these days, my first episode would begin with a "Six Months Later".

Rick and Beth have renovated the Bauer home and we have a family reunion. SORAS Jude Bauer into a teenager. Recast Leah with an actress who could play a 15-year old. SORAS Jamie Spaulding and introduce African American Brandon Spaulding, Victoria's teenaged grandson. All you need is a blue-collar teen vixen and you have a very interesting teen scene.

Bring back Michelle Bauer with her children. Michelle is a doctor now and she treats Philip. Philip has amnesia and he believes that he is still married to Beth. Philip and Michelle? Hmm...

Reva now lives with Daisy and they share several scenes together. Drop the movie storyline. Why would someone make a movie out of Reva, who lives in a village as we see these days?

Have Cyrus stay married to Alex. Alex could work fine as a Kay Chancellor like character. Alex would be very jealous of Cyrus.

Bring back Hope as an alcoholic loser who wants to get her hands on Alan's money. Bring back Alan Michael.

Have Lizzie and Remy get married in order to raise Sarah.

Don't change storylines and relationships every week. I no longer watch GL because I cannot invest on this show. Make it a show about the Bauers and the Spauldings. Turn it into a soap opera again. PLEASE.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drop Kriezman and bring on a writer who gets the idea of building up suspense and playing out story arcs over 2-3 months or 2-3 weeks rather than 2-3 scenes.

Stop trying to do primetime-esque episodes where some stories begin and end within an episode.

Pick couplings and stick to them. People didnt like it when GH did musical beds so they sure as hell wont like it on GL.

Rebuild the Spaulding family. Bring back Alan Michael (Michael Dempsey was really good in the role despite the fact he was way too yung) and also perhaps India and establish the wealthier side to Springfield to contrast with what we see just now (whilst keeping the more blue collar aspects as part of the show as a nice contrast).

Get rid of that amateurish opening and theme song. Rework the opening that aired in 2005 and bring back that theme song.

Since BE is leaving, ditch that permanently unfinished house that Harley lives in and build a proper set for Cross Creek.

Get rid of Ava, Daisy and Rafe and bring back Reva and Josh's kids and center the younger storylines around them. Have Marah Lewis open a clothing boutique in Springfield (a la Brooke on OTH, as wasn't Marah a fashion designer when she left) and build a friendship between her and Lizzie, and a relationship with Remy, while having Shayne go into the police and build his relationship with Marina.

Play out every beat of the stories. Let us see how peoples' families react to each other's actions. Did we ever see Vanessa warn/blast Dinah about her plan to bring down the Spauldings?

Finally, if you want to bring on new characters, make them interesting. Connect them to existing characters in a way that establishes their personalities and characters as characters in their own rights before throwing them into frontburner storylines.

Simple.

• Members

All they can do is get a new writer and maybe EP (All though were stuck with the new filming( and writethe best stories they can hope that AMC keeps on dropping below GL.

If they can get the ratings up they may be another year.

GL is going to be gone soon it's just a matter of putting it off.

• Members

I still am of the belief any one of daytime's current 8 soaps can be salvaged.... GL unfortunately being the exception. Too many things are working against it. Stars jumping ship like no tomrorow and all signs are pointing to more exits in the coming months, and its budget is a joke. Its sad that daytime's most storied show has been reduced to this.....

I am afraid its all over for Springfield.

• Members

Fire Wheeler and Kreizman first and then bring on someone that actually knows what the hell they are doing.

I would have Phillip awaken from a nightmare so we can erase the past four years of the show.

Marina and Remy would elope to Mexico never to be seen or heard from again. Ava decides to follow them but she ends up getting killed along with Jeffrey by some drug lords in Mexico.

Tammy and Jon would have left town together and Lizzie would never have gotten pregnant.

Alex and Alan would be fighting over control of Spaulding

I would bring Mike and Hope Bauer back to Springfield if I could not get Peter Simon back as Ed Bauer.

I would bring back the Grant family and get rid of the Boudreaux family.

The kids would all be their correct ages and Leah would follow her uncle Remy to Mexico and disappear.

• Members

I just got done watching todays show. The sound on it was horrible! Wheeler should be embarassed that after all these months, they still have not worked out the sound kinks. I agree with the others here - this show is dead and there is no hope of saving it.

• Members

You know, a couple months ago I had a long list of step by step changes.

But at this point? With this film style and this budget? With Beth Ehlers gone?

I have no. [!@#$%^&*]. idea.

I will say, Dan, that I think "six months later" is BRILLIANT. You couldn't and shouldn't get away with it on other soaps, but here it works because the show is so crazy right now AND because, that "time gap" technique is VERY popular in primetime these days. That's the way to go. Except for me, I'd use it to dump some characters but mostly prep for the departure of others, or fill in gaps slowly from the missing time to further new stories.

And for God's sake, get the Bauers and their kitchen back.

• Members

In my opinion, it's better than OLTL. That is not unexpected. OLTL is about as overrated as any soap can be.

I personally think GL ought to beat Frons and ABC at their own game. Frons and ABC have been canning popular actors like Dan G., REG, and Forbes March just because they want to do that. In return they have not been doing anything original. Instead, they have been trying to build off the reputation of couples or characters created on other shows. Take for example, Gus and Harley. I think GL should pick up REG and give her a contract that allows her to continue to explore Broadway. I think they ought to pick up Dan G. and Forbes and give them roles on GL. I think GL would be far more successful than ABC. GL has been signed through 2009. Take some chances and stuff it up Frons' butt.

Archived