SB: Fifteen years ago today, it ended!

• Members

Hard to believe it has now been fifteen years (January 15, 1993) since NBC axed Santa Barbara. Admittedly, the last year sucked and did not "feel" like SB, but when it was good, it was fantastic. And the actors, from Jed Allan to Justin Deas to Lane Davies to A Martinez as well as Marcy Walker, Nancy Lee Grahn, a then-unknown named Robin Wright...all terrific.

I loved the Mason/Julia romance. It was not "sweet" more than it was witty and intelligent and had some bite. But Cruz and Eden's fairy tale romance balanced it out.

The production values were killer, and the writing was so smart. And I loved the in jokes it would use, including the Emmys all over the sets after a win or three. :)

Anyone else have any memories of the late-great Santa Barbara to share?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Truthfully, SaBa was one of those shows that was at its creative height during the mid-point of its run. The last 3 years or so were horrible, but by today's standards, they look very much passable. Also, like it or not, Satan, I mean JFP was really the one who kept this show from falling to pieces, after she left, the show wasn't itself anymore.

I love how off-beat the show could be at times and how it never really seemed to take itself too seriously, it pioneered a special brand of soap opera that others (Yes, Sunset Beach and even GH) have failed miserably at trying to recreate.

• Members

Toups, thanks for posting those articles! What a way to look back. I adored SB. I was so shocked when the Big C killed Mary, I laughed and cried. I loved Mason and Julia more though. I really wish that Santa Barbara would show up on Soapnet

• Members

I keep reading the reason why SB will probably never make its way to Soapnet is the annoying music rights and clearances. Rick Rhodes, who was SB's musical director, had stated he would be willing to rescore, but he then since developed a brain tumor and has passed away.

If any soap should be on Soapnet, Santa Barbara is it, IMO.

• Members

Thanks for posting those, Toups. I *loved* Santa Barbara so much. It was the first soap I remember waiting all weekend to watch Monday's show because sometimes the Friday cliffhangers were so good. And though not always perfect, there was writing and acting of such stellar quality that I actually got goosebumps.

Mason & Julia were my favorites although, of course, who can forget Cruz & Eden? And I had a fondness for Kelly & Jeffrey?

Also the actor who played Robert Barr. And Gordon Thomson as Mason? He was replacing the irreplaceable but I still think it was one of the best recasts ever.

Sigh. I wonder what SB would be like it if were still around today. Perhaps it is better to remember it in the context of its glory days. NBC had one of the best line-ups EVER (Days/AW/SB) and they just ruined it.

• Members
590TITLE.jpg

Thanks Toups for posting those articles. I only watched Santa Barbara when GL was pre-empted, but everytime I saw it, it seemed like a pretty good show. I also watched SB when Kim Zimmer was on there as Jodie Walker I believe?

Who could forget the final episode? The final shot had executive producer Paul Rauch standing in front of the camera, smashing a cigar under his shoe, and walking away. Crassness I tell you.

• Members

AMEN, Tishy! Santa Barbara was in a class by itself. You couldn't pigeonhole it, and you certainly never knew what to expect. They screwed up so much offstage, though, that the show was doomed. Harley Kozak's exit was memorable but ultimately stupid... God, I loved Stacy Edwards on SB and I still love her as an actress when she pops up on primetime or in commercials... that show just had so much to offer and it was sad to see it go downhill in its final couple years.

Archived