2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

I knew she was coming and now I couldn't care less. As a matter of fact, I'm this close to wishing these people destroy the show beyond belief just so that I can have some sort of "closure" (not an appropriate word, but the right one keeps evaporating from my mind). At least then I'll know where I/the show stand(s).

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... Your wish has been fulfilled. Because she is very, very much preoccupied with history and has the habit of calling the studio if she spots a line or something that isn't in accordance with history. So there you go.

Not that that will help the show, but hey...

• Members

I don't know if it's Brad, but I definetly think someone else is handling the production aspect of Y&R these days. I saw a promo earlier for yet another Y&R "stunt" :rolleyes: and Nikki was on an ACTUAL BEACH. Meaning, we're getting a location shoot, something Y&R probably hasn't really done since 2005. I refuse to give Griffith any credit for this, as he's shown how bad he can be with production.

ETA: Here's the promo, it's pretty bad quality though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmgoWnAm0Ck

• Members

Oh, I'll believe you :-). I'm not encouraged by this, but I'll believe you :-).

I really do think it will help the show Sylph. Right now, the show has only a superficial sense of itself. As has been discussed here, there is an extra layer to the Daniel and Colleen relationship that is not being plumbed (the fact that their parents were once married; the fact that they were both sent away to grow up far from a parent). This is true for most of the relationships on the show these days.

Thus, I think giving the show a better sense of where it came from can help the show have deeper emotional roots going forward. That matters! Esser, for example, could have helped the show avoid that awful vasectomy debacle.

• Members

While it may matter to the fans, it certainly doesn't matter to TPTB. From my understanding, the only show remotely in tune with its history is OLTL. I think that Y&R is just going through this now because of the relative stability it's seen in its staff over the years. I don't know, maybe the Bells think differently, but the rest of the industry seems to view their history as a burden.

Anyway, to make a real difference, wouldn't this "historian" have to be in the headwriter position. Look at ATWT (because that's the show I know best ;) ): Susan Dansby has been with the show a relatively long time, but she still has to write the stupid crap that's given to her.

• Members

I am delighted that JFE is returning to Y&R. Always enjoyed her writing and if her role is as historian, wonderful, the show needs it.

I will not be surprised, or all that disappointed, if Brad Bell is named EP. If someone has to kill his father's legacy it might as well be his son.

• Administrator

The last couple of scenes are good - the ending is classic Y&R (at least I thought it was). :) They even played an old(?) score at the end.......it was music I haven't heard in a while.

If he is the new EP, he better no implement B&B's new production style. <_<

Archived