2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oooh, Edward's John F. Kennedy speech was originally written for Alan's death episode, but they couldn't fit it in for the Metro Count event, so Jill and Guza promised Karen that they would find an episode where she could fit that in. It happened to happen during Emily's death.

Nice to know Jill and Guza appreciate those scriptwriters, the very best on daytime and GH's saving grace.

• Members

If I remember correctly, they were the first two to return to the show a few weeks before the entire crew was back. It was Josh Griffith followed by Maria Arena Bell followed by Bennett/Gottesfeld, and then occasionally Paula Cwikly.

• Members

That was VERY cool to hear.

Just proves that the people most of us think are "the devil" are a lot more three dimensional than that. SOme of our favs can be jackasses sometimes, and some who we universally loathe can be very considerate.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 18 2008, 06:44 PM)
I haven't done the podcast yet, but I was very interested to read over the weekend her referring to learning about daytime from Claire Labine. Yeah, babee.

She never spoke about Claire. All she said was she got a call from Wendy Riche, who took over GH as EP in 1992 and asked her if she wanted to join the writing team. She said at the time, primetime television was concentrated mostly on sitcoms, and dramas weren't a main priority, so she was happy Riche called her and she accepted the offer to join GH.

Wendy Riche sure knows talent, and it's a shame she's not working in the industry anymore. :(

• Members

Yes, the bit about primetime turning to comedy & sitcoms being king or something like that was in what I read also. Amen about Wendy. I thought the Riche/Labine GH was a soapfan's dream. Riche was the best, ever, anywhere, at keeping a huge stable of talent under one roof, and that included bringing people in as well as keeping them there!

• Members

Oh, I agree, Riche and Labine made me fall in love with GH, and even Riche's work with Guza was superb. She knew how to bring out the best in his writing, but of course those two hated one another. Needless to say, Guza without Riche has been one huge mess.

Riche is hands-down the best soap opera Executive Producer of the 90's. She knew how to produce the hell out of emotional relationship based drama, and she was very respectful to fans and the historical integrity of GH.

I'd love to wake up tomorrow and read Riche is the new EP hired at Y&R, she's basically one of the only people from outside the Bell universe I'd trust at that show. When she inherited GH in 1992 the show was in ruins, but somehow she managed to rebuild the show and it became a creative powerhouse in the mid to late 90's. Hell, I wish she was back at GH too.

Riche also didn't take crap from her writers. Patrick Mulcahey said she was a very honest woman, she'd tell you what she liked and didn't like about your writing. He said he respected her a lot, because other producers in daytime tend to give writer's the runaround and say something to them, but do something else.

I hear in the 90's during GH Fan Club weekend, Riche would stay overtime to talk to the fans, she was really interested in what they had to say. You don't find that in daytime anymore.

Archived