ALL: New Daytime Emmys Procedure

• Members

You know what? I enjoyed the 2001 nominations, because I think AMC and ATWT deserved them. They were the best shows in 2000 (at least IMO), and all the actors nominated did some splendid work. It isn't like "WTF were they nominated?"

I don't think the Emmys have any obligation whatsoever to "spread the wealth." If actors from one or two shows deliver and aren't sleepwalking through their roles during the year, then bring them the nominations. (Before ATWT and AMC dominated, Y&R dominated absurdly. The Primetime Emmys always have a few shows that dominate, think The West Wing or The Sopranos in their heydays).

It wasn't cast size that got them those nominations -- it's not like the shows suddenly added a whole bunch of people between 2000 and 2001 that would've gotten them nods. It was because their casts were unified and they had industry support, to boot. ATWT was on fire with Hogan Sheffer during that time, and AMC benefited from a whole year of Agnes Nixon as HW, complete with strong storylines and the most buzzed story of the year (Bianca's coming out). Yeah, Libidozone was a stinker and the Brooke/Elliot story was weak (although Julia Barr was amazing), but 2000, IMO, was a really solid year for AMC, and I wouldn't disagree with any actor's nomination.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure how this would keep CBS from dominating. It will be actors on the panels who judge the submissions. Even if Days submitted 10 lead actresses and CBS submitted 10 in total for four shows, which 10 will the CBS actors on the panel vote for? They will say they are voting fairly but they still have the same advantage as before. Maybe I'm not understanding how things have changed. Actors voting for actors just like every year. Whichever shows get their actors to show for the panel wins.

• Members

I'm not understanding the idea that DOOL would be left out because of its cast size when the merit of performances is the main consideration. Each show can submit as many people as it wants to, and a lead actor for only half the year could be complemented by another one who's story was hot at other times. If I haven't watched the show all year, how would I know TPTB are pulling the wool over my eyes to nominate people who were phenomenal for 2 episodes and underutilized otherwise? Without an answer to that, I don't see how any show is the loser here. Let's not for get how these "bigger casts" are comprised of vets who are barely more than day players for months on end.

Archived