Y&R: Major November Sweeps Spoiler

• Members

The promo looks really good and I hope that the aftermath is good also. If it's a one or two days of drama like the ice storm where nothing really happened and was just done for shock value then I don't want any part of it. But the production looks good and I'm glad Y&R actually spent money on this stunt unlike they did for the *shudders* cliff waterfall.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^^The production value of this s/l looks AMAZING! You have to admit that that fire looks real. I mean it's nothing like the crappy ass waterfall that was done on a green screen and SCREAMED cheesy. I guess they learned from the cliff fall that they needed to step it up if they were gonna do a stunt like this and actually spent the money to film this at another location.

• Members

I don't watch Y&R as consistently as I used to but I will tune in for this. The production really does look amazing and I am interested to see who survives!! Maybe this will bring Victor and Nicki back together too. I am surprised they are doing this before sweeps start so I wonder what they have planned for November. I am hoping that this gives the show the boost that it needs.

• Members

Yeah but the ratings will go up and the viewers will be entertained.

Most "Y&R" fans seem to be hooked on the show, maintaining a strong 4.0.

When people trash "Days", I can agree, because they've lost 1 million viewers in only 1 year, which

means the majority of their viewers aren't happy.

But "Y&R" has only pissed off the "purists" and for the most part is holding its audience and

attracting new viewers.

If soaps are to survive, they've got to not only reincorporate "tradition" and respect the "vets",

they've also got to become more exciting and more competitive as entertainment vehicles.

The old days are gone forever.

Soap fans have to get more realistic if we want our shows to exist, in all honestly.

• Members

This is exactly the reasoning of a network honcho. I disagree with your arguments strongly. I can list you a bunch of arguments against Nielsen, not those by the usual media critics of the company, but scientific ones, since I had a few statistics courses over the years...

I don't judge the soaps the way most fans do - to me soaps are, of course, dramas, and they have to be in accordance with basic principles of quality dramatic literature. Y&R does not obey any of those, and it is just such unbelievable sh!t, I am amazed why are people still watching it. I know people who watched it from the beginning and even though the feel a strong dislike and disgust with the way things are now - they just keep watching it hoping that a new, brighter dawn will come one day. And it won't. At least not in the foreseeable future.

I am all for the modernisation of soaps, and there is a very good post by JamesF here somewhere on the issue. There is nothing I would add to it. So find it and read it.

• Members

SYLPH:

This is exactly the reasoning of a network honcho. I disagree with your arguments strongly. I can list you a bunch of arguments against Nielsen, not those by the usual media critics of the company, but scientific ones, since I had a few statistics courses over the years...

I don't judge the soaps the way most fans do - to me soaps are, of course, dramas, and they have to be in accordance with basic principles of quality dramatic literature. Y&R does not obey any of those, and it is just such unbelievable sh!t, I am amazed why are people still watching it.

SYLPH...I agree with you 100% ALL THE SHOWS are now crap.

But honestly, when there's 160 cable channels and the attention spans of today's viewers have been

zapped by Video Games, Reality TV and such, where do they find Intelligent/Sophisticated viewers

who will loyally watch long enough to get a payoff going?

They're in a Catch 22 situation and I think "fans", especially the ones like you, should be more realistic

about how they can react to it.

I don't disagree with you at all.

I personally know that one thing destroying the soaps is the "IN-House Clan" system that keeps young,

hungry new writers from entering the mix. They hire ONLY their friends, people they went to school with

and because of this, only 10% of the Producers and Writers have any real talent.

There is a HUGE lack of talent and imagination on these staffs, I promise you.

There's also a sick obsession with "MONEY"--and when you place finance and politics IN FRONT of the "Fans"

and the "Artistic Composition"--then you're bound to flop.

Most of these people running these shows lack "heart"---or---they have heart but no idea how to orchestrate

their instincts into watchable, compelling drama.

I agree with you.

But thinking realistically....I also highly doubt that injecting quality/tradition/the vets will be enough on its own

to save these shows from cancellation.

I know people who watched it from the beginning and even though the feel a strong dislike and disgust with the way things are now - they just keep watching it hoping that a new, brighter dawn will come

Well, I have two nieces, four aunts and two firefighters who have been watching for over a decade and they think the show

is more exciting and addictive than it's ever been.

You do realize that there are many people who don't care about "quality" in the way that YOU AND I do?

There's a HUGE group of people, Sylph, who just want to be "entertained" for an hour. A lot of "stupid" people

watch daytime t.v. just like a lot of dummies watch nighttime. All they want is to relate to the characters and

enjoy the action. Many of them don't even pay attention to the plot.

I am all for the modernisation of soaps, and there is a very good post by JamesF here somewhere on the issue. There is nothing I would add to it. So find it and read it.

Well, until JamesF helms and commandeers a soap to steady ratings, his opinion is just another a-hole like ours.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you about the lack of quality and intelligence in today's soaps.

But I also know as a die-hard fan of "Black & White" films, that they had to move to "Color" and that they had to accept "Change" and that they had to allow NEW LIFE to come in and make the movies relevant to their perspective

eras.

It's a faster, remote-control driven world right now, often populated by AIRHEADS :lol:

Those airheads have to be served.

• Members

Well this looks good. It great that they actually went to a location to do this instead of being in a building and looking cheap.

People are saying this is like GH but I have to disagree because this was a year in the making with this explosion not one month which Guza is known for. They are also not doing it in the sweeps which is November but October. I also have to give Y&R huge props because the set looks real and not fake.

I think the acting, directing and possably the writing will be on point. I cant wait maybe Y&R can teach GH a few things on how a disater is suppose to truely look.

Archived