Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yup, this a LOL moment but not surprising considering how awful Sam and John really are. John didn't deserve making the year end championship with the horrible year he had. John always loses to the worse players.

Now Sock has a chance to make the year end championship and his year was pretty bad too considering his ranking up until the tournament was #24 in the world and for him to end up in the top 10 is the world if he wins this tournament is beyond ridiculous!

• Members

Many people try to make fun of the WTA while forgetting how wildly unpredictable many of the ATP Tour events (minus the Slams) have been, especially the second half of the season.

Like almost have of last year's Top 30 has shut down their season because their bodies are too injured to keep playing.

Paris decided to go ahead and make their indoor hardcourts as slow as they possibly could. Even Nadal wanted no more of it. As bad as Singapore's slow courts.

Who the hell wants to play grinding tennis on a slow hard court where you have to slug it out, hitting like 30 shots for each point before someone can finally put the ball away??!

Please register in order to view this content

And all those grinding points played at the end of a long season, no less?

I just don't see how either the ATP or WTA can sustain their model when they make such stupid decisions like these?  A shot-clock between points is not the answer either. Speed the "fast" hardcourts the hell up!  

I cannot believe there was a time in my memory of when the Australian Open had the wonkiest courts that had a weird bounce and was somewhat slow and sticky.  Now they're among the fastest with the truest bounce.

WTH happened?

• Members

Also #ATPFail, the organization is in hot water for how the draw ceremony was conducted, with many labeling it sexist.

Why Amazon Prime?? That's so stupid.

By the way, I'm not watching either and from what I understand from other tennis fans online, I'm far from the only one.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I've heard a lot of tennis bloggers say they were turned off and are claiming not to care about the NextGenFinals at this point.

It's weird that I was looking forward to seeing it months ago but found myself being indifferent to the entire tournament. I mean, I have no idea who is winning what, at this point.

Others are pissed that they have TennisTV and Tennis Channel yet still can't see it.

Here is the criticism of the draw ceremony that the ATP strangely denies knowing about yet apologized for later.

Also weird, there was more social media chatter about Andy Murray's Glasgow exo and Roger Federer wearing a kilt than about the NextGenFinals.

• Members

The tournament should have been on Tennis Channel considering how much they were pimping it. Even Bozo Justin Gimbletob was already there watching the matches. Why not send someone else too with the crew?

The draw...yikes...that is awful. What moron came up with that idea?

As for the tourney....

They are playing 4 game sets...hate that.....

There are no linemen....all calls are being made electronically

Yes, there is a umpire...don't know why...he isn't needed IMO

There is a time clock between points....love that

Real closeups of players during change overs....yumm looking at Borna close up...teehee

No doubles alley on court...just singles court being used....

Coaching allowed during change overs with headsets and you can hear everything the coach is telling the player.

The court is blue

I can't tell if its a fast court or not

As for winners...eh...when you play a 4 game set it kind of doesn't matter...LOL.....some weird results in winners though and so far Borna is 1-0 in matches won.

• Members

WTF is wrong with Sloane Stephens? She loses in Fed Cup to friggin' Sabalenka? She's had a Mladenovic-like plummet since the USO.

Sounds like the ATP Next Gen tournament was a disaster. They had a third-place match as they do in the Olympics. Coric pulled out, was Shapovalov, who subsequently pulled out himself, and the match was cancelled.

Happy for Hyeon Chung, who won the final against Rublev and went undefeated. There were no ranking points at stake, which is BS, but he's the real deal. I'm always thrilled when players of color succeed in this very bigoted sport.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Seems like Chung kept his head, self-belief and focus. I'm happy for him too. The finals was basically the only match I saw out of the entire tournament.

Please register in order to view this content

The NextGenATP even didn't get much chatter online overall.

It seemed like Coric threw in the towel once he lost that semifinal but I had heard that Shapovalov had injured himself.   I'm not sure whether that is true or not though.

Sloane's gonna Sloane. 

I didn't see any of today's Fed Cup rubbers but I saw some pictures of Sloane with a wrapped thigh or knee.

I know that lots of other players have won matches, even tournaments while their thighs or arms were wrapped, so I'm getting the same feeling about Sloane that I had when she was in Asia-- that basically she was ready to shut down her season after the the U.S. Open.

• Members

I sort of understand. Sloane had the Herculean task of coming back from injury so to win the USO must have taken a lot out of her mentally. And she's certainly in good company given the other flops we've seen from players with big WTA titles this year (including Miss Thang herself Jo Konta, who started the year so strong). But maybe I'd pinned too many hopes on Sloane.

Yeah, the ATP Next Gen was totally buzz-free aside from that opening draw debacle. I suppose the ATP simply wanted to test out the new rules and tech innovations. You'd think they would have licensed it to TC at least if they wanted it to be bigger.