ATWT: Friday August 17 Discussion

• Members

To stenbeck: I didn't mean to sound rude or anything when I made my comments regarding yours. I read what you said as one way when I first made my post, but now I don't really see how I even interpreted it that way anymore. Sorry about that, really.

In regards to the whole notion that people are so obsessed with Noah and Luke (I *refuse* to use the name Nuke lol) that they wouldn't mind having them on everyday and that the only reason people care so much is because they're gay...well...I sorta agree and disagree. I can only speak for myself, though, so keep that in mind. As far as wanting them on everyday? Hells no. I loved Will and Gwen...but then they became victims of overkill. It's not necessarily being on everyday...because you can take a soap like "Dark Shadows," where many characters actually did appear everyday, literally. There was constant story progression, though. Everyday, the stories moved, the characters developed. The way they do it at ATWT nowadays, the story stays so stiff and stagnant, only moving every couple of days or every couple of weeks. If Jean P. and company could feature every storyline everyday, but with constant moving and progress, well then, that would be great. I'd fuckin love it. I'd gladly take Will and Gwen on everyday if they weren't doing the same thing everyday (whining about Barbara, whining about Iris, whining about Jade and Cleo, God rest their souls). Same thing with Meg and Craig and everyone else I'm not liking too much right now. Fortunately, Will and Gwen haven't been on as much since the Branson trip. That's a fortunate thing as long as we have the type of writers we have. If we could have some amazingly talented people at the helm, I'd actually be upset about the storylines I like being featured so little each week. I'd rather have Luke and Noah and Will and Gwen and Susan on two or three days a week because then I know their stories wouldn't be damaged so quickly. Also, ATWT has been a part of my life since the very beginning. I don't watch it (or any soap) for just one character or couple. I want to see everybody. I want to see the characters interact. That's the fun of soaps, seeing so many different personalities interacting with each other.

As far as Noah and Luke only getting so much attention from fans because they're gay...well...actually, that's the truth and I'm not ashamed to admit that if Luke and Noah were Luke and Nadine or whatever, I'd probably be only half as interested. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be interested. This is a once-major Will and Gwen fan and still a big Aaron and Alison fan speaking here. The thing with Noah and Luke, though, is that this is something new, something fresh, and something that has never been done in daytime before. With Will and Gwen, yes, I loved them together in the beginning, and I still love them now, but part of the reason why I loved them in the beginning was because I wasn't so sure they would get together or not. Once they did, I still loved them, but I was no longer waiting on the edge of my seat, watching their every reaction to each other. They were together, and from then on out, they became just like almost any teenage couple when they could have been so much more than that. With Noah and Luke, I don't know how things can turn out. It's a guarantee that they won't just get together and be happy. It's different, so it's going to attract attention. It's also a verrrry important thing to people like me and others who have been in this situation before or are actually in a situation like it right now (ahem, yours truly). I love soap opera couples, love them TO. DEATH. But, if they end up together in the end, this is the first soap relationship that I could truly, honestly say that I wish I could have.

Enough with the deep stuff. Time to get a little shallow, but observantly so lol. I'm not the biggest fan of Jake Silbermann's acting, but he does indeed shine, I think, when he's with Van. Absolutely loved the look on Noah's face as Luke began to fix his tie...the intoxicated look in his eyes...*sigh*. When Luke told him to let him know if he tied the tie too tight...Noah's almost breathless answer of "Okay." THAT had me. [!@#$%^&*], the scene could have stopped after the whole "What's wrong?" "Nothing" exchange and I still would have been happy as hell with it. The kiss was just the very, very, very sweet icing on the cake. And that Noah instigated it? Surprise to me!

And on another note...whoever mentioned AMC's Lianca kiss of 2003? I definitely agree. The Lianca kiss was nice...but I just never got all of the hype around it. I mean, yeah, it was an extremely important moment in daytime, but as far as kisses go...it was pretty cold if you ask me. I was expecting sizzle and I barely got a crackle.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great post AMS. You said it perfectly. The Lianca kiss did get a lot of press too. They were featured on ET too. It's just sad that some people(I wont mention any names) who thought the kiss between Luke and Noah wasnt all that. I got a nasty/cruel PM to prove it!! I was shocked at it. It insulted the story and me. I guess there are some cruel people out there.

• Members

Well, while I don't want to see Luke and Noah on 24/7 like Gwen and Will; I do want to see Van Hansis get a storyline that he so greatly deserved for quite some time....It's about time, to be honest; considering that each storyline he was supposed to have faded out or got dropped completely.

While some may not like the storyline itself; it's their right; but it is also the right of those who do like it, not to have another person/s try to ruin the enjoyment for them with harsh words.

With that said, let's focus on what we liked about Friday's episode. Weather it be t hat of Luke and Noah or that of any other part of the Friday's episode. :)

• Members

I also think part of me had higher than average expectations for a storyline involving a romance between Luke and another man. They hyped his coming out to death and eventually fizzled out his original storyline. The least I expected of them was to create a gradual romance for Luke, in a realistic way. I especially HATED how Luke was automatically "falling in love" with Noah after like one meeting. Remember when he was telling Jade about falling for the wrong guy again, when he hadn't even really known Noah then? That's an AWFUL set-up to any kind of relationship. That alone left me cold for the remainder of Nuke's romance. Also, Noah's father's in town and he's extremely intimidated by him, yet this is the set up for the famous kiss? Again, horrible set-up, Noah being afraid of his father and the whole idea of his sexuality should be enough to prevent him crossing that boundary.

The way I would've written it, would be entirely different. I'd start Noah and Luke off as co-workers who were never originally interested in one another. Luke certainly wouldn't be "falling for the wrong guy" after one friggin' meeting! Eventually, they'd grow as friends, but Noah secretly hides his sexuality. The whole back story for Noah would be an abusive father who is extremely intolerant, and one who Noah obviously keeps his true sexuality from. Noah would feel as if he had no one to turn to, but he gets to know Luke and all the struggles Luke faced in order to come out. Soon, Noah would confide his secret to Luke and Luke would morph into his shoulder to cry on. Eventually, they'd both harbor feelings for one another, but Noah's insecurity and his father's ignorance would be the main obstacles. I wouldn't even have the Maddie debacle thrown in there, that was a horrible step.

As I've said before, Passante and her crew created a horrible set-up and follow-thought littered with horrendous plot-holes, that's just unforgivable to me. I especially hate how some are acting like this storyline is ATWT's saving grace, because it really isn't. Why are so many willing to overlook horrible writing for this storyline, yet they aren't willing to overlook the horrible writing for the rest of the storylines on this show? It really doesn't make sense to me.

• Members

Because that's all we have left to root for. I probably would not be watching if it wasnt for Luke and Noah. And yes the writing has been bad but all of Jean's stories have. It is nothing new.

I am sorry you arent enjoying the storyline. I know why you are not.

And keep your comments coming not only about Nuke but about all the other stories on the show. Venting is good for the heart. :)

• Members

But why is this the only thing left rooting for? What separates the horrible writing in this storyline, from the horrible writing of the other storylines on ATWT? I don't get it. Also, Noah's a new character, why should I/the audience care for him?

Personally, the only bright spot I see in the show is Lucinda being used a lot more than usual. It's nice to see someone over 50 on this show, and I'm only 24. I never really got the assumption that if you're young, you'll hate older characters. TPTB really need to reevaluate their plans, because whatever they're doing isn't working.

Honestly, I'm not bashing the Nuke storyline because I want to. I'm bashing it simply because I had higher expectation for it, and so far it's been an utter flop in my eyes. The whole show is pretty much a whole flop. Just because this storyline is something different, that doesn't mean it's horrible writing should be excused. I'm not trying to ignite a war here. :lol:

• Members

You'll know soon enough. ;) Whether it makes sense to you I am not sure. :lol: We can go back and forth on this but I will tell you the writing for the storyline has not been great. But really which ones of Jean's has???

• Members

Well, I gotta say I thought the kiss was short, but *HAWT*! I enjoyed much of the show today. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed Lily & Dusty's scenes. That was refreshing. Holden lost the cool card for me because it only seems like he treats Lily right when they're fighting to be together or when she's drifting towards somebody else. He just really pissed me off during the Julia storyline, and lately he has reverted back to that--everything revolving around him, making Lily feel like she's such a horrible wife. It seems like she has enough guilt for the both of them, he doesn't need to twist the knife any further. UGH. Cheri, man I wish she was like a regular because I find her to be highly entertaining. What a great b*tch she plays! With all that said, I must agree with your thoughts on Nuke here. I mean, while I am excited about this gay teen romance or triangle, I do notice how rushed everything feels. And no matter how hot that kiss was (and it was *HAWT*) it come completely out of nowhere, to be real. While it does bother me, I will most definitely be watching to see how this all plays out, quite honestly. I guess I am just used to soaps not being how they used to be nowadays, so I became acclimated to this 'hit or miss' writing. I wouldn't call it this "great gay romance" with all the plot holes and deep emotions forming out of thin air, but I am indeed watching for sheer entertainment at this point. Just my two cents! :-D

• Members

No offense taken. Yes, there is a HUGE disconnect because daytime sees the inner psychology of its characters as an inconvenience. Margo should be a role model for Maddie, not Vienna. They were both raped, and her son was the girl's boyfriend. They lived together too. They should have had conversations about whether it was a good decision to move on after Casey. There doesn't seem to be a concept of how interconnected everyone is. Daniel's father and stepmother work in the criminal justice system, when his mother and aunt are engaged in criminal and scandalous sexual acts. Why haven't these families clashed yet? The actions of a few should have ripple effects that influence others. That way you don't see the same 10 people for 6 months. When you expand into stories about family drama and business affairs, you can achieve that. I just hate how everything is motivated by a convoluted sense of romance on ATWT. There are THREE quadrangles right now - Carly/Jack/Brad/Katie, Meg/Paul/Craig/Rosanna and Dusty/Emily/Alison/Aaron. For what? Kidnapping JJ only served as a prop to Jack and Carly's reconciliation, by way of child abuse! As if having her play hero now excuses the way she abandoned her children. The second triangle just shows how dumb people that old are, to be carrying on the way they do. The third one should have turned into a rally around Susan during her fall off the wagon and to join her daughters in intense group therapy with Dr. Michaels.

The reason why I can't get too excited about Luke and Noah 's kiss is that condensing their story to one moment just doesn't work. Bianca and Lena were written so well up to theirs, and Bianca's coming out before that was WAY better than Luke's.

Well, it's misguided venom like that which keeps Passanante employed. Shouldn't they be venting at her? Silly.

It's been an incredibly one-sided story where these 2 are concerned. Luke talks to Aaron. Luke talks to Jade. Luke gets his real feelings off his chest to several people, and we get the notion that only his experience matters because he's the one babbling about Noah all the time. Meanwhile, Noah isn't having flashbacks about Luke. All he talks about is being an army brat. So much of soap opera is about what goes on beneath the surface, but all Noah shows is surface until there's time for one scene each week that suggests HE'S HIDING HIS TRUE SEXUALITY. :rolleyes:

That's just it. You don't know why you should care about Noah. When he said "I'm not gay" to Luke, I really believed him! Nothing in his story before that could change that impression. Elizabeth Hubbard had better be glad she's such a scenery chewing thrill for the fans. The lesser actors of her age group (and even younger) are a mere memory on this show. I don't even recall what Lisa looks like. Very silly. Intergenerational storytelling done in a realistic fashion appeals to all viewers. I started watching this show when I was 14, and I didn't stick around just because of Hutch, Tess and Rosanna. Getting to be a fly on the wall watching adult problems is the fun part of getting hooked at a young age. Now I guess you're supposed to hate your old age and wish you were a spry newbie like Katie again. :rolleyes:

• Members

If I were you Stenbeck I would send those same thoughts you posted here to the mags/CBS or whoever will listen. You make a lot of great points. They are very valid and true. I would even email it for you to the Magazines....LOL.

Archived