the sinking of the RMS Titanic

MarlandRulez

• Members

This is one of the most engrossing obsessions I've ever had! I think for me, its both the visual scale and the operatic drama and the fact that it took place in the Edwardian era, which i love and was like a harbinger of doom, a foreshadowing of the awful violence in the 20th century to come due to imperialists.

The stories that took place are a soap fans dream. It almost makes me wish that a great soap writer had written the big Jim Cameron movie, then we could have had a lot of big storylines take place on the ship and crossing over on the dreadful night the ship went down.

The 1997 movie, despite its predictable main story is one of my favorite movies, i also love A Night to Remember which features a pedigree British cast and is more insightful to the human stories on board.

One of the events on the Titanic i always found very operatic and heartbreaking was the story of the Allison family. The family had a nanny called Alice Cleaver. When the ship was going down, Alice took the youngest Allison child, baby Trevor to a lifeboat without his parents Hudson and Bess knowing, who were with the other child, little Lorraine. Lorraine was on a lifeboat ready to go with her mother when they realised Trevor wasn't there and the family took off into the ship in search of the baby. By the time they realised the maid had Trevor, they found out there were no lifeboats left and the ship was about to go on its final plunge. So, the Allisons perished, little Lorraine being the only 1st class child to die.

There are so many compelling stories of what happened, its become such a myth in itself.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a huge fan of anything to do with the Titanic. I saw the 1997 movie 6 times in the theatre, and am always reading books, magazines about the Titanic and its survivors and those lost.

And I totally agree with you that the sinking of the ship itself & the stories that went with it IS almost mythical.

• Members

When I was little this was my BIG thing. I loved/was obssessed with the Titanic (you have NO idea how dissappointed I was in that movie, though the sinking was great).

I really want to see the other movie about the Titanic, I heard it's a lot better.

• Members

Most definitely. I've always had a strange obsession/affinity for the history of this maritime cataclysmia. The wreckage was discvovered in 1985, my birth year, and my dad worked on the original touring Titanic museum that debute din Boston. It was positively incredible. They had a piece of the wreckage, several artoifacts and models of the wreckage and ship. Oh man, I'd love to see that again.

As for the 1997 film, I love Leonardo DiCaprio, but most days I'd prefer to watch it from the sinking onward. The cinematography alone...damn! And the score....makes me orgasm!

Archived