AS THE WORLD TURNS Casting Director Workshop

• Members

Look what I found on Craigslist:

The Network Studio East is so happy to welcome KATE MARTINEAU — Assistant Casting director for AS THE WORLD TURNS. At this Emmy-winning office for five years now, Kate assists Mary Clay Boland and Lamont Craig in casting contract roles, dayplayers, and U/5’s. She’s open to meeting both fresh, new talent as well as experienced actors-All Types-All Ethnicities (18+). Kate has booked actors from previous workshops so don't miss this great opportunity to learn from and perform for her! After an intro and Q & A she’ll give each actor a scene to work on for her. NO BEGINNERS PLEASE. This is an inexpensive and very informative workshop that will allow you to meet, learn from and perform for a casting director for this great Soap! For rates and more info please e-mail [email protected]

Having done this sort of thing before as an actor(and meeting Kate Martineau at that), I wonder why they even go through with InTurn. The soaps obviously continue their normal methods of casting, and ATWT could put the money to better use. On top of that, it's sickening having to pay for an audition. That's why I'm surprised to see this ad out in the open, as it's a dirty little secret actors aren't told about. You can always send a headshot and hope, but a little fee to grease the wheel, and you come face to face with decision makers. I'd be shocked to find out that anyone who has done so landed even a recurring role since this practice began.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think InTurn is really about casting anybody. Sure they get a 13 week contract out of it, but it's actually more of an online reality show than really looking for an actor. Watching InTurn, it's clear they chose characters and are trying to create drama in the show. It would be an added bonus if they found somebody really good but it's not a 3 year contract they are offered and instead just a 13 week recurring role. It's not going to make or break the show. I think InTurn is really more of a promotional gimick to hopefully attract some new viewers to the show.

• Members

Well this workshop isn't all about auditioning since their is a Q&A and other things involved. You are getting possible information so yes I don't see anything wrong with whatever the fee may be. Just like most actors take acting classes and other things that aren't free this is the same thing AND you get to talk to and perform in front of someone within a casting office who can hopefully give helpful tips and whatnot to further the person's career.

With the Inturn thing they are really just trying to get viewers to tune in to that show online and maybe watch the show. Last years winner was considered under contract for 13 weeks and then was dropped to recurring. The same will be true for whoever wins this season's InTurn same goes for "I Wanna Be A Soap Star" they will be considered under contract for at least 13 weeks then will probably be dropped since that is normally how it goes. Actually even with a contract every 13 weeks they can choose to drop someone.

• Members

WorldTurner, I agree totally with your post. Except...this is a 13 week contract role. Although it's obvious from this last go-round that the actor won't appear as much as most contract-er's.

Jcar, actually...the guy, Alex Charak, that won the first InTurn is still with the show today in a recurring capacity. I believe that he hit off well with fans, they waited until the end of his 13 week contract, and asked him to stay as a recurring character....AND he still has a recurring role with the show to this day. And it's been almost a year since the last InTurn. :)

• Members

I think Alex actually appeared more after his contract was up than during the 13 weeks. He maybe appeared 5 times during the initial 13 weeks. It's clear the show doesn't make any big commitment to use the winner in a story. Of course if a hunky guy wins, you can bet we will see more of him :rolleyes:

Archived