DAYS: Is the emotional connection gone?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the emotional connection were even somewhat declining, fans wouldn't have continued to complain about having their fav characters return to the show! In today's episode (U.S.), fans including myself were ecstatic to see so many long-term faces, like John, Marlena, Bo, and Hope, all gathering together. With that, many people have already titled it to be one of the best episodes in a while. With that being said, if the emotional connection had declined even somewhat, fans wouldn't have been thrilled with this episode and prior few, particularly focussing on the return of John, Tony, and Stefano.

The rest also takes into consideration which groups of fans were speaking about. As someone already mentioned, there are many groups of fans, that don't care much more for the veterans, and devote more of their attention to the current and younger characters.

In my opinon, the average fan that once loved the characters that have been off-screen for a while, will once again feel the connection, when their character(s) returns on-screen. It's a connection that can't be diminished in a minimal amout of time.

• Members

For me, at this moment, it is.

When I started watching 11 years ago, I watched the whole show. Granted, I was 12 and not into the internet yet, but I loved it all.

Then it slowly diminished to only watching John and Marlena, but occasionally watching Bo/Hope, Carrie/Austin/Sami. Then it went to only John and Marlena; then only Marlena; then only select scenes;

Now, especialy with clips/previews/recaps online, I've probably only watched a whole hour combined in the last six months of new shows. I'm done hoping that the show will get better. I didn't even tape Johns awakening because I wasn't that attached anymore to the show anymore.

If they wanted me to be invested in new characters, they would shown my faves in good stories with them (or at least in the same episode) so I had a reason to watch the show.

And don't shove heroine Sami Brady down my throat. It's more annoying than evil Sami. Balance should have been the key, but for me it's too late.

• Members

ICAM! Although for me it has been EJ/Sami that were about the only things that interested me. I'm not against Steve and Kayla but feel like I've been given next to no reason to care about them based on how they've been written since they returned to the show and I missed their original run.

• Members

Kenny, I think those viewers probably won't come back. I know from experience. I got into DAYS in the 80s and especially the 90s, so when Sussman left and a lot of my favorite characters left, I was willing to keep watching. Of course, then Langan came on and totally changed the show to "Salem High." I lost interest and stopped watching (gradually... I went through the "I'll FF what I don't like" phase, then the "I'll only watch Mondays and Fridays" phase, and finally the "I don't care about the God Damn Ghoul Girl!" moment.) Since then, DAYS got better a few times and I watched the show from time to time. "This is good," I said. But I never said, "This is just like the good ol' DAYS." It may very well have been, but with the connection severed between DAYS and me I found I could never get back into it totally.

You can't go home again.

• Members

It's probably too late for a ratings rebound, but I think that's a genre-wide thing and Days is slightly ahead of the curve in terms of collapse.

At the same time, though, I kind of believe that if they got these four actors out there (well, at least three of them), they could pull back a few lost fans. Those actors have undeniable charisma, something much of the rest of the cast lacks, and if they were out there in the more mainstream media they could use it to revitalize a connection with people. I mean, they lasted for decades, despite years of bad writing and weird shifts in character. 6 months away will diminish their drawing power but not kill it. TPTB just have to exploit it better so people, y'know, know that they're in a major storyline now.

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't felt connected to the show in a long time, and the stupid neverending kidnapping crap was pretty much my breaking point. I still watch occasionally and follow through spoilers & summaries, but I don't feel anything about most of the characters. I like Sami, because I like the actress, and I really enjoy seeing Maggie and Celeste. I hate Willow and Tony. The rest of them, though- whatever I felt has turned to meh.

• Members

OK this is a very good point. To the viewers that quit watching when John was gone, they don't know he's back and alive again because they couldn't bother showing that in any of the promos. That was a mistake. Because Days was pretty great this last week and those viewers missed out on a good week for their faves.

• Members

I agree writing was excrutiating for the first 3 months of this year. Whereas, in the past, we were inundated with flashbacks, Days just rehashed the SAME scenes over and over. I kept thinking...didnt we see that same crap yesterday?

It also felt like a weird actors strike, and we were watching scrubs(coughs, Gabby, willow) for 60% of the show. Sami and EJ got me thru it, but even their scenes were repetitive and ridiculous, at some point.

I loved the Bo and John scenes this week. They made me laugh...on purpose. The whole Jarlena toungue sucking thing kind of squicks me, but, hey, to each his own. I hear tomorrow we get a "rack" attack by doug and Julie...please make that stop! All in all, I thought the pacing and stories were really improving as of last week. Here's hoping the uptrend continues.

Archived