Mediaweek - "Soaps on the Ropes"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is total bull [!@#$%^&*]. If that were true, SN wouldn't have gotten rid of AW and cutting back on PC and RH. They would have came up with a way to fit those shows in their lineup with the addition of OTH and The OC. But what do I know. I am 31 so I am too old for SN and the ABC soaps. They only want college kids. :rolleyes:

• Members

I do think that the soaps have really hurt themselves by the lack of good quality and writing. They re-hire writers who have previously been fired several times, ie McTavish. They obviously were fired the first time for a reason and yet they continue to be used over and over again!! Makes sense to me. And the shows have focused too much on the newer, younger characters and backburnered the vets or fired them. There isn't enough balance.

I do think soap fans have been a very loyal audience but they can be pushed too far. And I think it takes a lot for them to reach their breaking point but when they do, it is very hard to gain them back. I also think that because they are aiming for the younger viewers with stunts, sweeps, big events, etc., they don't have the loyalty that they used to have. Once the stunt is over and the show doesn't have the quality to back it up, the viewers that tuned in for that little bit are going to leave in droves or switch over to the next show.

It is sad about what is happening to soaps. I wonder if in three years there will only be three or four shows left. Probably two CBS soaps and maybe two ABC. People's lifestyles have changed but the poor management (Frons) of the soaps has definitely contributed to their decline. Those idiots will never admit to that though.

Archived