Passions Criticized for DOWN-LOW Storyline

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations, Mark. I believe you have written the MOST INTELLIGENT POST on SON in at least a week. At least, as it pertains to "Passions."

I agree with ALL the points you made.

The truth, is I'M FLATTERED that JER wrote this story. Because of the surprise element, that "shock" element, it's like the [!@#$%^&*] drama that happened here at SON. I loved SON's real life soap so much because I, like ALL OF US, were deceived by her. In essence, we BECAME a part of the Internet soap opera. Similarly, on "Passions," the story shocks not only the characters, but in a very realistic way, shocks the viewers. We almost become characters in this drama too because, like in real life, family members and friends are SHOCKED when they learn the down low status of someone. They NEVER see it coming. Not from a mile away.

Excellent post.

And EXCELLENT writing, JER.

• Members

See, that's what I don't get. I think, on the other hand, that JER plays out several, if not all of the beats of a story (as if anyone can determine just which beats constitute "all" of them).

I mean, we already know he's sleeping with a man; on Friday, we saw him in denial when he met the gay couple that Whitney sent Miles off with, for a playdate with their son. Then we saw the adversity between Chad and those men, since he turned belligerent toward them, in essence, what he could be. And with the night stalker drama, I'm almost positive, if it hasn't happened already (!!) that his secret will be found out and he too will be blackmailed.

I think the story's playing just fine..

• Members

Wow. I'm surprised anyone could be offended by this storyline. Because it's a tv show, and from my perspective the only thing tv shows have a mandate to do is entertain. I don't look for sensitivity and honest portrayals of social blahblahblah from my television. Especially not something like Passions that's slapped together in like 5 minutes purely to draw viewers and sell ads during the daytime.

If they wanted to make a stronger argument they should have mentioned the incest thing in the article. You could say that by making Chad the guy on the down-low they're equating incest and homosexuality.

I'm equally surprised that people think Chad is ruined. Homey was down to do his sister. That pretty much killed it for me, though I was never a fan of the character. This, for me, makes his previous behavior understandable. So desperate to not be gay he tried to stick with the only woman he'd truly loved, and the fact that she was his sister only increased that desperation until he just couldn't control the urges any longer. Damn, Passions writers. You may have stumbled into a complex character whose true motivations are being realized on-screen in a frontburner storyline. Rock on!

• Members

I agree with several points made by Mark and px780.

Chad's motivations make sense...and as for Passions being socially responsible, like it was said, Passions' job (and pretty much all of network tv) is to entertain, not educate. If you're looking for a socially responsible look at life on the down low, get a book.

Come on. This is Passions. The SWAT team battled hordes of demons from hell!

• Members

PLEASE do not compare all of network TV to PASSIONS. That would cripple the TV industry and our only sources of acting would be from theatre and films.

And I don't expect a series to, so much be socially responsible, but it should, AT LEAST be well written. Chad's lover should have been such a dangerous shock to the audience, but have totally made sense. That person should have been Ethan and he would make the most sense. Chad's lover shouldn't be a choice that the audience could shruf off without being surprised, outraged, and totally making sense. Without any combination of those three, the story falls FLAT! It becomes typical PASSIONS, which, may be fine for Cheetos-eaters who don't look for intelligent shows, but not so good for those who expect it in any genre of TV.

In fact, WATCH OVER ME'S storyline about "in the closet" Andre makes more sense than Chad's.

But I digress...anyway, there is no need for every storyline to have a social agenda. But every storyline does need to be well-written and as researched as possible. Without that, then that is when you get criticism.

• Members

I agree that the story can make sense, especially due to the sister angle.

If rape isn't a sexual crime, but violent and about power, then can't it be said that sexual addictions aren't about the person in bed with you, but the pleasure? Because that's part of what I see here. Also, let's take it one step further and say that sexual perversions aren't about the person, but the pleasure. And I'd say that someone who has an incest fetish has some kind of sexual perversion. Next, enter exhibit B: uncharacteristic sexual addiction with a man -- it's all part of that deviant behavior.

I think it all adds up -- but mostly, if not only, because JER wisely showed Chad's not "all there" by having him become obsessed with someone whom he believed to be his half-sister.

• Members

To keep it real I actually appluad JER for this type of story. Its new never been done before on daytime. It makes me angry that all these fans are tired of the same ol same ol but when somebody does something new, Like the transgeneder thing on AMC, the art storyline on Y&R and this siataion here. TRUE JER wont write it the way it needs to be written but he is touching upon a social issue and I am not surprised that Chad is fruit. I always knew he a lil too much sugar in his tank. Now he is sweet and low

• Members

See, I agree.

Some of us seem to be forgetting how gay Chad was in 1999. :lol:

He was OBSESSED with getting couples together and blabbing on about "true love" and "feelings." That's partly why a Theresa/Chad fanbase quietly developed. They thought those two would be good for each other, given their obsession with forever love and happy endings.

And let's not forget Chad's obsession with music. And he didn't listen to rap; well, mostly, that is, he listened and knew about top 40 pop radio, which back then, wasn't about hip-hop but alternative and rock songs. That was another smaller hint that just helped add everything up.

And let's not forget that choker he ALWAYS wore. A choker, people.

The signs were always there.

So it's not as far from left-field as some may suggest.

Archived