Y&R: CANADIANS SPEAK THE TRUTH!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jack Smith hated the Winters family, Latham loves Dru, but she's a bad writer. The *only* reason Dru looks crazy is because of the writing for the other characters. Nothing Dru has done is out of character, IMO. What makes no sense is that one minute Carmen is a man-stealing predator, the next a poor victim being picked on. One minute Neil is carrying on an affair, the next he 100% isn't, which makes Dru look crazy.

The same thing is happening with Jack right now. He looks like an evil ass because they were acknowledging what GLORIA has done, nor were they writing Ashley in character.

• Members

I still disagree with the Jack Smith hated the Winters family arguement. They were constantly frontburner. I remember the family was on the frontburner for the entire month of February in 2004 I believe it was. Jack Smith did good for Dru. He gave her a fun rival (Phyllis), a frontburner story (Foster Care), and a beautiful Japanese themed wedding. Towards the end he didn't write too much for Dru, but her prescence was always felt.

• Members

During Jack Smith's run...

- Mamie and Olivia (after being destroyed by the affair with Brad) were written off without an exit scene or even mentions! Mamie had been ont he show for over 20 years, Olivia for about 15.

- Kristoff St. John was window dressing.

- Malcolm's return was a DISASTER. No good Olivia/Malcolm drama, or Nate (who they promised would be back). Then it was left open with Neil (window dressing) not knowing Lily was Malcolm's daughter. They KNEW this was Shemar's swan song, but didn't give a damn.

- We've all discussing the contract negotiations with St. John and Rowell.

- Everything involving the Winters seemed centered around Lily! If they weren't her parents, they wouldn;t be on the show.

Sure they threw a bone ocassionally with the wedding (which had to be done), the rivalry and foster care story, but the Winters family were very supporting an isolated. They had become the token blacks.

• Members

During Jack Smith's run...

Yeah, that bugged me because the Dru/Olivia sister relationship id one of the many things which made me fall in love with these two. Mamie should have been heavly involved in the Gloria story.

Not really, he was very much Supporting, but his character was still written with some integrity.

It was a disaster, but as I've mentioned it allowed Victoria Rowell to do some of her best work ever. Kristoff was REALLY good as well.

I think it was just a misconception blown out of proportion.

Not really. Dru/Neil were heavily involved in the business aspect.

• Members

So when Americans have said it, they were lieing?

I have heard the same things here in the USA...why does it only ring true when a Canadian says it? Or is that just yet another way to slam the US? Either way, it is correct, but the people here in the states are not lieing when they said it...the same way...and first?

• Members

^^I just had to drop by and add a tee hee hee! LOL!

Two weeks 100% Y&R and soap free! And I'm not missing them one bit. Well, actually, I still read Darn's "The WrecK Center" but that's all. And I'm still perusing SON but I have to fight the temptation to join in on soap related discussions so I won't jump off the wagon.

Archived