All: No More Mimi Torchin

• Members

Love her opinions (as that was what she was paid to give), ALL soap viewers lose by her firing because it was one less INDEPENDENT voice in the sea of soap publication *ahem* "journalism" (AKA a mouthpiece for the nets).

Carolyn Hinsey's AMC opinions have gotten on my nerves more often than not since I've been watching AMC (end of 2000) but she does speak her mind pretty freely (she did back track a bit from her initial criticism a bit sitting beside Fronsie that day on The View but that's kind of understandable, she still made her point and a good one) and she's been giving AMC and ABCD deserved HELL for a good while now. Keep on Rockin' It!

Losing her, too would be a loss to us all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's like a personal blow for me, because she was one of the few people in the soap world who never waivered on her hatered for the fetus. Never. She made her opinion known and stuck to her guns. She was one of the few who was willing to be the voice of the fans. :( I'm gonna miss her.

I always thought she told it it like it was. And those who critizied her most (about AMC) were those who wanted to believe the best in our show. But Mimi never once said anything about AMC that hasn't proven to be true, unfortunately. :(

Thanks for always speaking your mind Mimi. We're gonna miss ya.

• Members

I love Mimi!! She was very outspoken about what she didn't like especially about ABC and AMC. She made it clear how horrible a writer she thought McTavish is. I will miss her. And I am not sure that I believe that she was fired for budget reasons. It sounds like ABC is trying to get rid of anyone who actually has an accurate opinion of them.

I don't like or agree with Carloyn 95% of the time but I am glad she is speaking out against AMC too. How long will it be before she is fired??

Everyone must bow down to Frons! ABC is the greatest! There is nothing wrong with their soaps! Excuse me while I go puke.

• Members

One thing I will miss about Soaptalk being cancelled is not having Carolyn Hinsley as a guest. I always loved when she showed up as she was one of their best guests and I love how outspoken she was. I really could care less for Mimi and found her to be very biased

• Members

Just because you agree with another columnist opinions does NOT mean they are any less biased. They are all opinion-makers, commentators...Hinsey, Torchin...BOTH are biased and are paid to be so in that they are paid to give their opinion.

Carolyn may have kept closer tabs on all soaps, especially in her roles as SOW Editor and SOD Whateverthellshedoesforthem.

But MiMi was transparent, imo. She never misrepresented her opinions as having more insider knowledge than she did or have intimate storyline details than she did if she wasn't a regular watcher.

It blows my mind that the most criticism folks can come up with is that an opinion column is biased. Jeez. So are all of them, you just didn't agree with Mimi. Big Picture, people...big picture.

Independent voices are neeeded. *fist raised* Fight the real enemy [/sinead]. Fronsie! :lol:

• Members

How can any of you NOT believe they have budget issues?

What's happening with television in general, and with soaps in particular, is not a secret.

They ALL have major budget issues. TV is falling apart. Soaps are dying out. From the tone on some threads here I have to think some people are either in major denial or are incredibly naive.

People are turning to the internet, video games, dvds, anything other than tv viewing.

Personally I cannot believe some of the ABC pimping that Carolyn Hinsey person does. ABC STINKS. Their shows have been abysmal for a couple of years now. GH has stunk hideously for 4 or 5 years now. Ever since Angela Shapiro made the huge mistake of bringing back Guza & Pratt to wreck GH, ABC has been on the fast track to nasty darkness.

But I'm sure I'd agree with some things Carolyn said. I'm sure I disagreed with some things Mimi said. The fact is I respect Mimi a lot. She had a lot to say and a lot that needs to be heard.

This is not good.

But nothing that's been going on has been good except Days hiring Hogan. And even that has had some side effects. Nothing is perfect.

Archived