How badly did I screw up?

Danni

• Members

So, I've been in the interviewing process for a small advertising company. It's a job I really want, so I've been really trying to cover my bases. Now, the HR recruiter emailed me for the phone numbers of some references (preferably previous supervisors). In both instances, I was off by one number (the last number of their extensions). I received an email from her later tonight stating that the numbers weren't the right ones. Of course I freaked, apologized profusely, and sent her the correct numbers. However, since it is Friday night, she won't get them until Monday. Now I'm worried that they'll reject me because of that. Any advice? Did I really mess things up?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, if it's one thing I've learned, it's that life is easier without thinking about the worst case scenarios. I hope you do get the job (as someone who has interviewed applicants for a job, I might just chalk a similar error up to nervousness or something, and think about your 'whole' picture; how you presented yourself at the interview, how well your communication skills were, etc). So the phone number faux pas may not be an instant execution order. Of course, if the company decides to go another way, you have to try another place. And that's why I like the 'philosophical' approach. That, coupled with refusing to think of worst-case scenarios, will help to keep your mind at ease and think about the big picture: 1) you need a job; 2) if this one doesn't pan out, that's okay, 3) cold call for interviews at other places, and 4) never give up.

• Members

Oh, I agree about people lying about their references. A potential employer called my office about a week ago checking a reference for a guy whose employment was terminated at least four months ago. Evidently, he claimed he still worked with us. Also, the woman whose position I replaced, whom he WOULD be getting the reference from, was gone, so no one could vouch for him. I was placed in a rather sticky situation so I just forwarded the kill to higher management. I didn't want to be responsible for saying he was a liar, even though his work ethic left much to be desired.

Archived