What soap opera "mansion" had the most rooms?

• Members

In regard to Dynasty and the Carrington Mansion, it was actually modeled after a real mansion right outside of San Francisco, called Filoli. The pilot was shot at Filoli. Every room on the first floor of the Carrington mansion including the staircase and the transverse hall are actual rooms in the house, ABC replicated them into a set. After the first season or maybe sometime later in the first season (I don't remember), the staircase became center, right past the oval vestibule. However, in the first episode (which was filmed on location at the house), the staircase is not in the center of the house, its where it actually is, down the transverse hall on your right, just before the ballroom. Also, the breakfast room you see in the show is not a real room at Filoli. The location change of the staircase is never mentioned in the show.

In regard to the Colby Mansion, it was an actual mansion, owned by a member of the Hilton family. I don't know if the entire series filmed on location or not, but I know the Colby's had a bigger budget than Dynasty.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also, for a time in the 1980s Old Westbury Gardens was used as the exterior to both Phoebe's estate and the Chandler Mansion.

When Wildwind was first introduced, FMB used exterior shots of Coe Hall on Long Island as the exterior. JHC did the same. However, I also remember Lyndhurst being used as the exterior at times as well for Wildwind.

On Guiding Light, this house currently for sale in Scarsdale was used as the exterior of the Spaulding Mansion:

http://www.houlihanlawrence.com/property/25677744/2-cooper-road-scarsdale-ny-10583

• Members

I remember that they used this as the exterior during the JFP days (she was the first era that would show the outside exteriors correct? ) and it always looked like a funeral home to me and not what the Spauldings would live in. It looks much more regal in these pics but then the inside looks like the 80s never left.

I liked the last mansion they used for the Spauldings during the Peapack era. It was cool to be able to see Phillip and Beth having a discussion on the front steps, etc...too bad they didnt have a budget for a real inside set at that time.

How do soaps find their location shots? I always wondered who owned the house that Company the Boardinhouse used as their exterior from the Kobe era up to the McLaiby time. That looked like a nice house.

• Members

Did GL redo Company around late '96-early '97? I remember getting into the show in the summer of '96 where there was a door on the left side (with a couple steps leading up to it) and then once I started watching full- time in '97 it was the set seen until the end. I assume what I'm remembering is Company and not some other set that they stopped using by the Rauch era.

• Members

I think this house was more appropriate than the house they used in the Peapack years.

As for the first time exterior shots were done, I don't this the JFP era was the fist time. I recall them doing exterior shots in the 80s of Cedars and of Company. You actually see a lot of this in the opening of My Guiding Light.

Archived