Soap Exteriors

• Members

So I thought this was really cool. I love it when a soap would show the exterior of someone's house or a building, etc. It wasn't always so frequent but it was a nice little treat. I'll always remember the facade to the Spaulding Mansion on Guiding Light. You can see it here below in this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VE2guwpT2Y

What makes it even cooler is that the house they used for the Spaulding Mansion's facade is now for sale. its in Scarsdale, NY. Check it out.

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/localimagereader.ashx?IDClient=180&IDListing=180-l-732-21477889&H=600&W=800&ImageURL=http%3A//m.sothebysrealty.com/236i0/bwq71475xbtz4ht4vm8hvn35v3i&Option=N

Does anyone have a "soap exterior" that really stands out to them?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Coe Hall on Long Island was used as the exterior for Wildwind. However, under JHC toward the end of the series, Lyndhurst was shot as the exterior of Wildwind.

Waveny Manor in Connecticut was used as the exterior to Cortland Manor. Old Westbury House was used as the exterior to the Chandler Mansion originally. I don't know what house was used in the past 5 years for exterior shots but it wasn't Old Westbury House at that point.

• Members

I always liked Passions exteriors, especially during the first couple months when they really showed them, probably because when it started the show really took advantage of shooting outside on location, so it made everything more appealing.....

• Members

I don't think AMC ever used an exterior for the Chandler mansion in the 12 years I watched. The Cortlandt Manor exterior, of course, was even used as the backdrop of the 2013 series' title card, which I loved. Pine Valley Hospital's exterior was Stamford Hospital for over 30 years. Is there a clip/photo somewhere with Linden House's exterior? That was before I started watching.

IDK why soaps gradually phased establishing shots out. I like getting a glimpse of soap towns outside of actual sets and being able to stalk locations like I can for other shows/movies.

• Members

Yes, they did use Waveny Manor in the main title for the online series.

They did show the exterior of Chandler Mansion a few times in the mid to late 80s using Old Westbury House. They also begin showing the exterior again around 2009/2010 and also in the final opening sequence in the television version. However, they were not using Westbury House.

Also in the 80s, they did use an exterior for the Tyler Estate, it had a white facade with four columns IIRC.

• Members

In the 90s (which is the earliest I have first had experience of) Y&R would show a combination of exteriors for some things and exteriors of the fake set that were very well done. They would be shots from outside the stained glass windows or from the room through the inside of the set they were featuring. The way Y&R looked back then made it worth it.

• Members

I had to Google image search Old Westbury House to see if that is the Chandler mansion I remember, and it is. The last time I recall seeing an establishing shot was sometime in the '00s. Of course, once the show moved to California, they did quite a few exterior sequences in the rear of the home, in and around the pool. I don't remember if they showed the facade of the California property.

Linden is my favorite. I love modern architecture. I would like to know where in the tristate area that home can be found. AMS, I linked a video with a shot of Linden in the classic AMC thread several months ago, I'll link you later.

I do remember the establishing shots of the Spauldings' "house on the hill" from the original post in the '90s, and was reminded of them when the house was recast with the mansion in Peapack.

Capitol did a lot of establishing shots, and the Denning, McCandless, and Clegg estates were all very nice. The Cleggs' gray stone beaux arts mansion was my favorite.

• Members

Some assumed it was Dorian's house because it appeared under her picture in the opening (though it looked nothing like the set version), but I really like the beaux arts home in the "blue" OLTL credits from the late '90s.

When Daytime to Remember aired, my mom commented, "This is when they started showin' the houses" as we watched a longish sequence of Langley driving up to Phoebe's white Georgian colonial.

I mean, it was a pretty non-descript apartment building, but I can't talk exterior establishing shots without mentioning the sweeping shot up to Alexis' penthouse with the Alexis theme playing.

• Members

Loved the Reardon Boardinghouse and would love to know whose house that was...(this was during the Long/Kobe years and they would show the front of it during the intro and Nola ran down the driveway when she was left behind on her wedding day. I thought it was cool that the show kept up the exterior shots through different regimes, JFP used it during her time and I dont know if they used it much after that....(hated "Company," during the Wheeler Peapack years.)

• Members

The first US soap I watched was Sunset Beach and they used to always show exterior shots of Ben and Meg's beach house, Bette's beach house and a few more of the homes and other locations, it was nice and gave a real feel for what the town looked like. Of course they shot a lot on location, which meant the town was just as much a character in the show.

I think exterior shots are something soaps should bring back, look at those sweeping shots of Grayson Manor on Revenge or even the establishing shots of the homes on any of the Real Housewives series, it's a nice touch.

Archived