Who was your show's Charity Rahmer?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My mom tends to be way too tolerant of bad acting on soaps--or at least it takes a lot for her to comment on someone being bad, but I remember her turning to me one of the times Carlos was on and saying "Is it just me or is he one of the worst actors to ever be on TV? Maybe it's on purpose?"

• Members

My mother did the EXACT same thing with Farah Fath. We hardly ever talked about the acting on soaps, just the ridiculous plots but she made a point to comment on FF's acting, "She's really not very good.".

• Members

It felt like weeks--lol I literally remember like one scene with him (in the hospital) and then poof. But yes, he was bad.

With Carlos they seemed to try to make him work for ages. Those secret letters to Greenlee that led to some woman's apartment and made nop sense, then McTavish came on and I assume Frons was a big Carlos fan because she tried to save him by giving him a family and more of a past--with Juan Pablo.

Juan was far from great, and borderline incomprehensible when he talked but next to Carlos he looked like Monty Clift.

• Members

Juan Pablo was basically Take 2. They heavily promoted the [!@#$%^&*] out of him too just like Carlos before him - "he's a big star on telenovelas!" Or something. But I could not understand a [!@#$%^&*] word Juan Pablo said.

I thought it was kind of bizarrely hilarious that they spent the last six months of that storyline, or so it seemed, with Carlos literally comatose as opposed to simply figuratively so until he finally died.

• Members

Thank you! I don't get why people were so wet for Heather Lindell. She wasn't good at all. I will say though that I think the direction she was given is partially to blame in some of her performances. Keep in mind, this was during Reilly's disastrous second round as DAYS' headwriter and campy soap opera cliches were running rampant. Anytime Jan would have a flashback to something (usually the previous day's episode... or something that happened 15 minutes earlier in the same episode), the actress would literally do a 90-degree turn, facing the camera, while looking ominously into the distance. If this were real life, the person she's speaking to would wave their arm and say, "Jan? What the f-ck are you doing? I'm standing over here!" That whole era and that whole Jan/Shawn/Belle/Phillip story was just a disaster and all the actors involved were either terrible or had given up (Jason Cook).

• Members

I found the lengthy voiceover explanations funny. When Katherine Kelly Lang returned from maternity leave in 1997 after Sandra Ferguson subbed, the announcer literally said something along the lines of, "We are pleased to annouce that Katherine Kelly Lang has returned from maternity leave and will now resume the role of Brooke Logan Chambers".

And when GL recast Michelle from Rebecca Budig to Joie Lenz, it was the same time that Amy Carlson was subbing for a pregnant Beth Ehlers, so the announcer got to do double-duty in one day.

Randomness that I remember. smile.png

Through the years, DAYS doesn't seem to be big on announcing recasts. They just establish right off the bat through dialogue that Charity is Belle; Lisa Linde is Nurse Ali; etc. The only time I remember seeing an actual acknowledgement of a recast was when they abruptly had to recast Jennifer from Melissa Reeves to Stephanie Cameron, and they had it written at the bottom of the screen in DAYS' usual yellow letters that the role was recast.

Archived