Smash: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"While the pilot of Smash was universally praised, there have been some qualms about the creative direction of the series, chronicling the creation of a Marilyn Monroe Broadway musical, which became increasingly soapy."

I always laugh when a show is described as "soapy." That's never a good thing.

• Members

It should be MORE soapy. But Theresa Rebeck, who is an overated but talented commercial playwright (her play Seminar is right now onw of the few non musical hits on Broadway) proved IMHO she was not a TV writer, and I've wanted her replaced for a long time. I've started to truly love this show, but the beats of the stories she creates are all wrong for TV and she's been the show's biggest problem. To be fair, the characters and concept were forced on her so she's not the creator the way many past showrunners have been but she did refine them and do the early scripts (which were IMHo the weakest). I am worried about who they'll replace her with--or maybe they'll promote from the writing team with someone like David Marshall Grant who wrote one of the better episodes, wrote some of the best episodes of Brothers and Sisters early years and at least has a long history of theatre (he seemed to originate many famous gay roles on stage, like opposite Richard Gere in Bent, and the original Angels and America as well as playing the token gay on thirtysomething...)

• Members

lot of playwrights have had trouble with TV--playwrights I think who are much better than her. Alan Ball has had pretty good success. But on network TV Baitz, who is brilliant in his stage work, left Brothers and Sisters early on due to ABC forcing story ideas on him, and the show fell apart, and Craig Wright, who is also an award winning playwright had similarly unhappy experiences at ABC with Dirty, Sexy, Money.

I still think Smash should have really stuck to its initial plan of airing on Showtime, but...

• Members

It'll never come to that.

Speaking of Broadway one of the people getting the best reviews in Mike Nicholl's current revival of Death of a Salesman is... Zip Riprock (I mean Finn Wittrock) from AMC. I guess he was smart to apparently turn down working on AMC long in ABC (though many seem to still think he was fired--either way).

• Members

Really? Good for him. I didn't like Damon's origin story but I enjoyed his performances. Way to go, Fjord Spitball!

I'll be interested to see who replaces Rebeck. I'm not as familiar with her work as you are. (Honestly, I doubt her mother is as familiar with her work as you are. tongue.png ) but the writing on this show has been all over the map.

• Members

I really like Meryl Streep's daughter and am glad they casted her.

I am enjoying the show more and more as it goes on and still find Ivy completely unrootable.

Also, that Touch Me sequence was BY FAR the best moment this show has had.

And that annoying fake gay guy assistant plot point needs to go.

• Members

ITA on points 1 and 4. I completely disagree with 2 and 3. LOL!

I like the concept behind the Touch Me number but once again I found Karen to be downright comical. I guess I should stop saying that though or else I will be forced to endure yet another scene of an audience or onlooker staring awestruck at Karen as she passably sings some warmed-over pop tune just to let me know how AMAZING she is. (Did you know she's AMAZING?!)

The confrontation between Tom and Derrick was interesting. That was one converstation about Marilyn that didn't bore me.

I agree that Ellis needs to leave with the quickness. He's not even "love to hate" material. He's "why is this guy on my screen?" material.

What a spectacular trainwreck this show is.

Archived