As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Was pairing Sarah with Paul yet another attempt to try and make the Kasnoffs work? Because if so, it was another failed attempt. I never cared for Mark or Mike, but I didn't mind Sarah though as many did; however, in the era (the 90s) when bad girls reigned supreme, saccharine characters like Sarah were bound to be flops. 

And EAS? I don't remember this story as a child. Maybe I used to tune Paul and Sarah out during those scene. Well hell, if you weren't the Hughes, Jack, Rosanna, Ben, John or Carly, I really didn't give a f-ck about you during this time....

Didn't Diego rape or violate Emily? If so, was this before that incident? I always thought of Emily around this time being one of many P&G's Vicky Hudson clones (my girl, Carly being another). I feel like they didn't know what route to go with Emily after Marland died. 

Ben is another character that they didn't know what to do with him. Peter Parros was a joy to watch. So glad that he is getting shine on Tyler Perry's Have and Have Nots even though that show can be a mess at times. 

And Jane Powell felt more like Penny recast than she did a Lisa recast. 

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sarah and Paul were cute together but yet so boring. I liked Mark and I enjoyed Mark Collier's version of Mike better than the previous actor. 

Yes, it was during that time …right before Behr and Broderick turned up on ATWT. It was her motive for being a suspect in his murder. The last decent storyline Emily had was with Royce. I think the lack or poor writing came from the fact that the actress wasn't as great as Melanie Smith. Her scenes with Roger Howarth were atrocious!!!

• Members

Sarah and Paul weren't around long - 6 months, maybe a little longer for her. EAS was Paul's shopping channel. 

Diego raped Emily several months after this episode. I don't think Valente or Black and Stern knew exactly where to take Diego (as you saw with all the "I don't like violence" woo-woo type stuff). Behr made him a clear-cut villain. I think they also raped Emily to "redeem" her after she'd behaved horribly for a year. (of course when Broderick came in she threw that out the window...)

KMH just wasn't suited to play Emily. After a few years they began writing her as heavy on the neuroses, likely because KMH was so tic-laden, and it just further degraded the character. I found that my opinion of KMH mostly rose or fell based on the man Emily was paired with, which is sad, IMO, when you remember that Melanie Smith gave the character such integrity even when Marland used her as a great big whore for most of Smith's run.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Mark Collier's Mike was OK but he was just eye candy. Mike never popped as a standalone character. He only excelled because he had spunky female characters like Carly, Rosanna, Molly, and Katie beside his side. Mike was a dull drip all alone.

Yeah after the Royce story, Emily went downhill. She remained in limbo for years. I did think that Emily found her niche when became a reporter but that was nixed the final years of the show when she became obsessed with Paul and suffered from baby rabies. 

Thanks! Thank God they nixed EAS b/c shopping channels would become moot by the time Paul returned in the form of Scott Holroyd. 

KMH was OK as Emily. Yeah, she'll never be Melanie Smith's Emily but she was passable. I just feel that the writers never knew what to do with her. Yes, she was always slutty but she was a savvy slut with redeeming qualities. 

• Members

At least Shawn Christian's version had a little bit of personality. Yes, SC was more pretty to look at than an actor who could emote.., but at least he had some fire in him at the time. Mark Collier portrayed Mike as an idiot---the male equivalent of Lily. My hatred of him will never, ever die.^_^

• Members

Was this the last episode of Meg/Josh in Oakdale until their return in the early 90s? Or is there a bit more of them? I loved how the credits rehashed Josh/Meg's romance from start to finish with Luther Vandross playing in the background. LV's music was like the 'go to' music for soap supercouples in the 80s. I wish soaps still had the budget for music rights because the right slow jam with a supercouple could help put them over with the audience. 

I wish I would've gotten to see the episodes of Meg finding out that Tonio was in cahoots with James and using that to get out the marriage with him. 

I can't wait to see where Kirk/Iva/Lenore goes next too. 

Might I ask who is pestering Lisa & why? And I didn't know that Grant has returned for a short stint in '89. I wonder why the show never tried to bring Grant back for Lisa. Especially in the end. 

And I am assuming that Duke Kramer is about to come on the scene. Was Rosemary Kramer a retcon or was she an actual character on ATWT during the time Dr. Michael Shea was on the show? 

• Members

I think that was it, yes.

If you want to see a few more episodes between that large November/December and February gap, Munecojim has a few others. There are also two unlisted episodes in this playlist.

patc2000 has the Christmas episode for that year.

I believe Rosemary was a retcon.

The person who is after Lisa is

Edited by DRW50