January 26-30, 2009

Toups

• Members

Coming out of lurkdom to point something out...

I've noticed some saying that people tuned in this week to see J&M. J&M last aired on 1/23 so their exit does not factor in to these ratings. This is Days first week without them so Days' numbers had nothing to do with J&M. They may still drop. Who knows. But it did not increase this week because of anything J&M related.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did anything happen at ATWT to cause a +2 increase?

Daytime as a whole has become so irrelevant in the eyes of much of the public, I'm glad, if there's one positive outcome to the awful economic problems and cold weather, that people may be willing to take a chance on soaps again. I hope they will continue to do so because some of the soaps are on the way to strong improvement and all they need is viewers.

• Members

WOW! Y&R is on fire!

The whole soap industry looks like they got a much needed boost due to snow storms and people getting laid off big time. The soaps are all actually watchable right now. I'm finding it very hard to take a break from any of them to save space on my DVR. I think all the soaps need is those viewers that don't get a chance to watch it regularly. The only bad thing about these types of weeks is the fact that these soaps can't keep these ratings and will probably go down next week.

This is the first huge gainer week of the season for soaps and Y&R has been on fire as the first soap since the 90s to move back up a full point after its decline. Y&R should've been on its way to a 3.0, but now its successfully gotten back 4.0 slowly over the last three months becoming a watchable show again. Wouldn't be surprised if it hit a 4.2 on one of those days.

B&B has had a great family oriented s/l with Rick and the Forresters. B&B fans have always appreciated those s/ls which is why when Phoebe died they saw huge gains in December.

DAYS is also on fire this year as NBC made the right decision renewing it big time.

P&G soaps ATWT and GL did a great job this week. ATWT had one of its best weeks quality wise in a long time. GL has been getting a lot of positive feedback from viewers with Olivia and Natalia. Natalia was always one of this show's bread and butter waiting to explode and she finally got her big role on the show. GL's ratings are pretty damn impressive considering it has the worst time slot on all of daytime in most markets. With Phillip returning the 1.8 is not far away and GL isn't that far from seventh place.

I know AMC and GH fans are happy to see the gains and they were way past due to see those type of ratings.

OLTL is probably the 3rd best soap on TV right now, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the ratings.

Cole's character on OLTL is probably the most promising young character on all the soaps that carry a show. His character development has been intriguing and great to watch.

I'll breakdown each soap in more detail in my column when the dailies are released and other demos.

• Members

All the arguing about Days and pointing fingers and it is the only show that didn't go up in HH's. To me that says a lot when all the other shows went up and some by as much as .2 and even Y&R by .3.

The good thing about Days is that they are the only ones up from last year in viewers and even with where they were in HH's at this time last year. So even without the gain they are in good shape.

Trying to point fingers at who went up and why they went up this week is a moot point to me. This rise seems to be from looking at the 18-49 rating to do a lot with kids being out of school due to the weather. To say it was this persons, this actors, or this ones fault on a week like this is especially ridiculous.

It is bad enough on a normal week but this week it is esp. hard to understand.

• Members

What I think would be interesting is to look at the daily ratings and cross-reference them with the path of the storm to see where the majority of our snow viewers came from. Arguably, that would help to explain why CBS got such a bump in viewers while the other networks only received a fairly modest increase.

Archived