April 17-21, 2006

Toups

• Members

NBC is unique with it only having two soaps and both soaps are written by Reilly. Reilly has done a lot of damage, I don't see how he can turn things around. Thats why the opinions of Reilly being fired is so strong, this time next year NBC could be out of the soap biz! There is a lot more at stake at NBC. CBS and ABC could each cancel a soap and remain in the soap biz. If DAYS sinks, it goes, so does PSSNS. For some to assume NBC is happy with the current ratings..... don't you think NBC passing on the Emmy broadcast says something? NBC made that decision before the nominations were announced thats why the nominations were broadcast on ABC. I know some assumed it was because of the lack of NBC nominations. Not so, NBC made a decision before it knew what soaps were nominated to pass, why? I believe it's a telling sign of what's going on at NBC Daytime. If NBC was as committed to its soaps, a primetime DAYS episode followed by a 2-hour Emmy telecast would have been a smart move. No it goes to ABC instead.

One final thought..... the networks NEVER reveal how they truly feel in press releases. I found that out a long time ago when NBC said it was fully committed to "Santa Barbara" and praised their ratings gains only the next week to cancel it. So those weekly press releases are pure spin. We really don't know how they feel. Although they do give out signs, and I think passing the Emmys broadcast is one.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve, that´s because the cancelation is very real in the case of DAYS. Three years ago Drake Hogestyn openly admitted NBC had been fully prepared to cancel the show. At the last moment Kalouria somewhat convicted NBC´s management that if they hire Reilly again, he will be able to turn the ratings back up. It didn´t work and now the numbers are as bad or even worse as they were during the last negotiation. Of course, the questiont about cancelation is back on the table, especially with various mags and inside sources confirming the situation isn´t good.

Getting another all time low in the time so critical for the future of the show certainly doesn´t make any good for Corday´s position in the negotiation. And the show instead to try to unite and bring back as much DAYS fans as possible have been doing everything left and right to push them away. It´s very hard to not blame Reilly if it have been mostly his decisions and his story directions which have brought DAYS into this very hard position.

• Members

For the first part, PSNS has a history of extremely low ratings. The only thing that kept it from being the lowest-rated soap from 1999-2003 was "Port Charles." The PSNS people should be very nervous whenever their show comes up for renewal because it could honestly go either way any time.

DAYS is a different story. It has a deeper history and has had many ups and downs in the ratings, but the last time the show has been consistently high-rated for more than a few months at a time was when? DAYS is the only long-running soap, besides ATWT and GL, that has been close to cancellation several times in the recent past. Hell, it was nearly cancelled within its first year on the air.

AMC has seen up and down ratings over the last year, but the show has a more solid history of delivering as far as ratings are concerned. It's no doubt the second most successful show in ABC's history and it is almost always in the top half of the ratings every week.

And like when people say that DAYS dying would cause PSNS to die, I fully believe that AMC being cancelled would affect OLTL is a very negative way.

• Members

I'm not worried about Passions either, NBC owns the soap and it's seasonal demos are great.

#1 in 18-24

#2 in 18-34

#2 in 12-17

#7 in 18-49 (beating GL/ATWT)

Sure their dead last in older viewers, but that's not NBC's target audience

• Members

Oh, that is just ridiculous! Are the viewers MAD?! Dammit to HELL! It's like the same thing we all ALWAYS argue about every ratings post. The fans say they want traditional soap, they get it and the ratings suck. The gimmicks on the other hand, work, but make "Days" disrespected...oh wait, they don't work, that was just a fluke from the shock and awe...Blah, blah, BLAH.

Tell me about it! :lol:

• Members

I would love Sheffer too. He was so good at ATWT. The only problem I had with him at all was that he is the type of writer who has his favorites. He brought Craig back to the show (played by the wonderful Hunt Block) and made him pretty much the center of the show. Thankfully I liked the character and the actor. I would love him to bring his type of storytelling to Days, but be able to keep the balance of use of performers.

I just cannot figure out why some show has not grabbed him up. I just felt sure he would not be out of work long when I heard he was released from ATWT. It just seems fishy or something. He has such talent.

• Members

The Hogan Sheffer case is still unclear more than a year following his ouster...

Sheffer (whose brother, actor Craig Sheffer recently departed WB's "One Tree Hill") was what some would call obese. As a result, toward the end of his run his health began to falter. Whether the daily grind of coming up with stories for 200+ shows a year is uncertain.

Reportedly, Sheffer was due to take a six-week hiatus for "health reasons". His co-writer, Jean Passanante was then elevated to interim head writer. Almost immediately rumors began to swirl that this whole affair was a cover to get rid of Sheffer. Despite denials from the network and the producers at ATWT, Sheffer was indeed let go just days into his hiatus.

What remains unclear is whether Sheffer was fired or left voluntarily. Stories supporting each scenario have surfaced. Some claim Sheffer had grown tired and wanted to have major surgery - similar to the procedure on "Today" weatherman Al Roker.

Given his almost universally admired stint at ATWT, I'm sure other soaps have enquired about his services. There were rumors both before and after his departure that he would move to OLTL, which instead got ex-DAYS scribe Dena Higley. Perhaps Sheffer considers himself retired or is just waiting for the right moment to return.

• Members

You just made the argument for Reilly being fired! He fails at writing a traditional soap and when he uses gimmicks the slight success only last a while, thats why the serial killer ratings peaked at the revelation of Marlena and then came crashing down. because gimmicks doesnt get long-term ratings success. he can shock and awe the world into watching but if the show sucks, they won't stick around for long.

• Members

Well, it gives me chills to think the type of story he could craft for Steve and Kayla's return.

I know that for a while after he left ATWT he worked as a member of the writing team for ATWT. I have no idea if he is still doing it.

I can only assume that health problems have prevented him from taking a headwriter job elsewhere. He seems to be universally respected in the industry and has all those writing emmys to his credit. Selfishly, I have no doubt that he would love writing for a character like Jack - he has so many layers like Craig and Carly did. Now that JER's contract is set to expire soon, I am sure Corday would love to get Hogie on board.

Archived