DAYS: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

With ED what it is, is what she does want to do. I believe in the past she once did work for both shows at the same time. In the recent past she's said she doesn't want to work full-time long tenure for either show. So, unless something has changed she is into short runs. 

The reason Wally can do so is because he's not on contract. 

Good to know! 

Please register in order to view this content

Isn't that the truth?!!! Really, you have to ask yourself why Chris Kositchek is dishing chowder at the pub?!!

Yes, that's my take on it, too. And, if anyone knows what is is like to be overworked on daytime, it is ED! I know her time with her family is very important to  her. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know at some point I honestly think they should have killed off Roman.  Once it was too late to give the character back to Drake, and the weak John/Marlena/Roman 3.0 triangle was done, Roman should have been killed off and JT could just reappear as Chris Kositcheck.  The show does this all the time and I think it would be much easier to take.  

Sami would have one less person defending her horrible behavior, but what has JT contributed to Roman really in 25 years?

Edited by carolineg

• Members

For me, Kristen, Susan, and the others are characters who work best in short arcs. Eileen’s Kristen should come in, stir the pot, leave, then return again 6-12 months later. Susan should be used every couple of months for scenes with her son and grandson. Sister Mary Moira should pop in every once in a while to reprimand the sinners of Salem. Thomas has been used effectively. I consider Eileen’s Kristen to be the best villainess in the history of Days. She and Deidre have impeccable rivalry chemistry. 

I thought NL was the better Taylor as well. Her portrayal was much more in line with the original Taylor played by Katherine Ellis.

Eileen is not on contract with Y&R. I’m here for short arcs. Villains work best in short arcs these days.

They did kill off Roman in 2004 but Corday forced JER to bring back all of Marlena’s victims unfortunately. I loved that story and was pleased to see all of those particular characters exit. I’ve never liked Maggie, Caroline, Abe, Doug, Josh’s Roman, or Thaao’s characters.

• Members

I agree with you there and, as far as I know, Haiduk hasn’t filmed in months. The recast version of both of Eileen’s roles are written wildly out of character so I’d even be down for Haiduk’s roles to turn out to be someone else entirely. Of course, they could also just fix it with some dialogue when Eileen returns. For example, OOC Kristen can be explained by a traumatic brain injury from falling out that window in 2015. OOC Susan can be explained due to the drugs she was put on in the psych ward in 2017. 

Would love for Eileen to come back in a “Return to Aremid” story as the Woman in Black.

• Members

Of course, I think they should have brought Wayne back & really written for him. But if they weren't going to do that, then second choice would be to have him be in the ISA & bring Wayne back for short arcs & a world spy out of sight the rest of the time. What they have done with Josh, I would call NO CHOICE. 

• Members

Well, Wayne was fired to begin with in the 90's and I suspect Wayne being unavailable when they finally decided to bring Roman back was on purpose.   I think we all know JT and Ken Corday are tight.  I would never want Alex North back though.  I agree it's too bad there was no way to work things out with Wayne because so many stories that were told with Josh's Roman would have actually been good with Wayne.

• Members

The Alex North story needs to be revisited so they can retcon his and Marlena’s marriage. Their marriage was confirmed to John by Marlena’s parents so I would love it if Marlena found a letter from her deceased parents where they inform her Alex threatened them into confirming the marriage.

I would argue that Roman hasn’t had a story since 1998!

I definitely could not see Wayne’s Roman with Lauren’s skanky version of Kate. Maybe Deborah’s Kate.

• Members

I don't ever want to hear the name Alex North again and pretend it doesn't exist.

Roman has had story.  Impregnating a 60 year old Marlena while they were presumed dead was unfortunately a pretty big story.

And I mean, Roman was married to Anna who is more like Kate than Marlena.  It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.  Why Kate wants to be with him is more perplexing.

• Members

Roman with Anna has never made much sense either. That’s one of the reasons why I consider Marlena and John to be Carrie’s true parents.

I’ve never cared for Wayne’s Roman because of how poorly he treated Marlena in the 80s and then again in the 90s. He psychologically abused Marlena in their very first meeting! After her twin sister was murdered, Roman slapped her! Later, the way he treated baby Belle after learning the truth about her paternity was despicable. 

I’m not sure if I consider the pregnancy to be an actual story. It was more of a plot point to set up the Alex story. Again I am a Marlena fan so I’d like to see the marriage aspect of that story revisited and retconned. It taints everything about Marlena’s history. 

• Members

I am a huge Marlena fan too and I don't need it to be retconned.  It's mostly forgotten at this point and she's legally married to John.  To rehash it would remind everyone it happened in the first place.

As far as Wayne's Roman (and this is more a post for the Classic Days thread)-I don't think some of his 80's stuff ages well, but I did find early Roman/Marlena mostly delightful.  In the 90's I thought a lot of his actions were misogynistic and it was clearly slanted writing toward John-and I am 100% a John/Marlena fan.  I guess I just think how it would feel to have your wife and family mistake you for another man while you were being captive-and liked him more!.  I'd be kind of cranky and a butthead too.

• Members

I'm doing a personal project, character analysis, 1991. I call it Roman, a Jerk or Not a Jerk? I'm on Day 15 which corresponds to 12-2-91 and so far Roman has not even been close to being a jerk, much less a male chauvinist pig or a misogynist. I can't imagine what in his 80s stuff is bad. Historically the cop & the doc were the most popular couple when Luke & Laura were off. Now when Dee & Wayne returned in '91 some people say Wayne got some really poor writing. I think you can't go by clips so I am watching full episodes. 

I didn't like John for a long time but I do like him now & I consider him the best parent & grandparent of all. And he did a great job with Carrie, Eric & Sami when they weren't really his responsibility. Of course, Carrie's parents are Roman & Anna. 

I didn't know there was a Classic DAYS thread! Oh, I bet you mean the BTS & articles thread. Okay. I can see where this goes there. Moving this there. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typo