Quality Slumps Druing Strong Periods

• Members

Is there a subsection of time where quality (writing, production, acting, etc) slumped during what was otherwise a show's strong period.

For example, The Wendy Riche era on GH (1993-2001) was especially strong. However there is a decline in quality after 1996 because of increased mob focus and the eventual departures of Brenda, Robin and Johnathan Jackson's Lucky. Some charachters like Tony, Bobby, and Felicia becan slipping into backburner status toward the end of the era. Overall though that entire period is some of the best soap in history.

Y&R was strong from about 1989-2001. There was however an inbetween period of 1994-97 where there felt like some drops in storytelling and production value. The camera work became more ornate after 1995 but the glamour factor especially in wardrobe was lost after 93. 

Edited by ironlion

• Planet Soap changed the title to Quality Slumps Druing Strong Periods
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What immediately came to mind was when AS left DAYS for the first time. So much of the show was about her and EJ at that point that it seem there was a bit of slump from what I remember because the writers did not bother to set up anyone to take people's attention from Sami leaving. 

• Members

Ooof, definitely. DAYS was surprisingly strong from fall 2012-fall 2014. I mean, there were duds -- the Jordan story, early Abigail/Ben, the weird disregard for John, Dannifer -- but there was a lot of good stuff going on. The Brady/Kristen and Nick umbrella stories were highlights in particular. Then Sami and EJ left, and we were left with a huge focus on Serena and that damn elephant statue, plus more of Jordan's crew. Things didn't improve until Josh Griffith took over the following summer, and we all know how that turned out...

• Members

That was my original impression, too. Aside from how long it took for anything concrete about Jordan's past to come out -- remember we had that whole interlude with her old roommate, Sheryl, too? -- the part that never worked for me was how Kate Roberts, who had gone through something so similar with Curtis, not only dated Clyde but took his side over Jordan. I know Jordan encroached on Kate's territory by getting with Rafe, but it made Kate seem both heartless and stupid to side with a man who had done to Jordan exactly what Curtis had done to Billie. One good thing Ron has done is address that dangling thread by having Kate own how awful it was of her.

Edited by Michael

• Members

Right. 

If anything, I definitely think it would've eventually led up to a Clyde Weston murder mystery (again like Curtis), and Kate being one of the suspects. 

Oh well, just another one to add to the massive list of dropped stories on DAYS