Moonlighting Screen Test for David Addison: Bruce Willis versus Harley Venton, former GL actor!

• Members

Found this gem on YT last night. Apparently, it was screen tests from September 1984 for the role of David Addison. Glenn Gordon Caron, Moonlighting creator, was sold on Willis, but the network wasn't sure.

An actor named Harley Venton was also considered. It says he played lawyer Derek Colby on Guiding Light from 1980 to 1982. No idea who was testing for Maddie Hayes here, but it is another actress.

Here are the tests for both, which was apparently some bonus feature on the pilot episode DVD/VHS:

As a comparison, here is another screen test of the first scene from above, this time with Cybill Shepherd, and filmed in the style of the show (probably to give the network a sample of the overall look?):

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Great find @Wendy . I am very fond of Harley's work on GL (he was Derek, the long, long-suffering stick in the mud boyfriend of Hillary Bauer while she pined for Kelly and Tony - I would have chosen Derek any day), and I can see why he was liked by the network, but Glenn Gordon Caron was right to press for Bruce Willis. Bruce had more of a unique appeal which overcame how offputting the writing for David could have been. 

Harley reminds me of the late, lamented Charles Rocket, who ended up playing David's brother.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

At least Venton played a role that was memorable, then! I did read that he ended up in an episode of Shepherd's next series, Cybill, so she really must have liked the guy.

But, as perverse as it sounds, I am thinking the animosity between Shepherd/Willis helped add a spark to their chemistry, so...

• Members

As much as Hudson Hawk and his music career got lampooned, I think he had talent as a song and dance man. With more musical vehicles like the revival ones we have now he could've done better work in romantic comedy than he often got in film.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Speaking of song and dance, here is a dream sequence Maddie had from the Season 3 episode, "Big Man on Mulberry Street". Still remember this scene well!

When the show sucked, it was sewer level, but at its peak, it was electric.

Edited by Wendy