Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Cady doesn't seem to want to work in L.A. full time.  She's the artistic director of a theater in New York and is fully committed to that. When she decided to do that, it seemed that Missy Reeves might return to Days eventually on an ongoing basis. (I don't know what's happening with Missy now.)  Cady's LinkedIn profile says she started that at the theater in January 2022. 
Edit to clarify, Missy had come back to Days for an arc at that time.

Cady and Jon Lindstrom (her husband) have residences in New York and Calif.  She can work on Days sometimes because Jon's on GH, but from their instagrams you can see they periodically spend time in New York.  Jon plays two major characters on GH and he's been there for decades, but he's not on contract, so I guess he likes flexibility, too. 

The Cady situation is different from that of Ali Sweeney, but there are some similarities.  Sweeney's focus is that she acts in and produces lots of Hallmark movies, which are usually filmed in Canada. She's willing to stop by Days between movies.

The six-month tape-to-air gap allows for some flexibility for shortterm returns, or if someone has to reschedule their scenes due to COVID exposure, or if they are using a special set for a story arc.

I doubt they could write invested longterm story for Jennifer or Sami - if the characters are in a pairing or pairings because they'd have to write around the actresses' schedules - even with the flexibility of the tape/air gap.  It would make romances seem disjointed. I think they can allow pop-ins if someone's not in a pairing.  But if someone is in a pairing but unavailable, it's hard to give the couple airtime.

They tried to accommodate Chandler working fulltime in Georgia, by arranging for him to tape a Days arc when he had a few days off from work. He said he had a workaround where he sometimes brought work with him to LA - in that he got up very early in the morning and worked remotely from LA on his laptop, and then went to the studio to film all day, but it made for very long days working both jobs. When he did that, it allowed his taping arcs to be a little longer - to squeeze in a few more episodes. But he couldn't work both jobs the same day for extended periods of time.  I'm glad they tried find ways to accommodate Chandler but it still made it difficult to do a full WilSon storyline.

Back to Cady.  I'm glad she's available sometimes, but I just don't know what the show can do with the character of Jennifer in larger storylines.  

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Same.

They've done a lot of damage to Jack with the Abby vs. Gwen stuff (though I love Gwen when she's unapologetically nasty) and I think Valley would be kind of a refresh of the character.

I agree he'd have chemistry with Cady. He'd have chemistry with everyone, really. He was always a charismatic actor.

I know Matt's most notable in the role but Mark's always been "my" Jack. It's his Jack who has history with Peter too so it'd be beneficial if they decided to bring him back.

...and they should. It's a shame to waste a ripe villain.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Cady McClain has always stated she's open to playing when they need her to. Daytime has not always been kind to McClain, either, but her experience at Days of Our Lives seems to be a positive one for her. And, she told TV Fanatic she did a lot of research when she first stepped into the role, so she took it seriously.

And Melissa Reeves' arc around that time was filmed six-months prior to January 2022. But, at that point, McClain was already released from the role. I don't think Ken Corday thought McClain would be as well-received in the role as she was, and I know Ron Carlivati has continued to joke about "two Jennifers" and swapping out both McClain & Reeves, depending on availability.

But Reeves seems content on remaining in Tennessee with her family at this point.

Based on scenes I've watched on YouTube, I adore Valley's take on Jack, and would warmly welcome him back to the role! But, at this point, I don't think Carlivati has an investment in Jack & Jennifer, so I'm okay with Matthew Ashford & McClain popping in every now and again.

Casting McClain as Jennifer missed the opportunity to return the role of Peter Blake. And, if Jason Brooks is unavailable, I've always suggested William deVry for a Peter recast!

• Members

Well, personally I can't see Peter Hermann but yes yes yes to either Tuc Watkins or to Wm. DeVry!!! And, I think Cady can be taken at her word at being available when & if DOOL needs her. And, I know she has other irons in the fire. She's really a daytime girl, traditionally, after Dixie on AMC & Rosanna on ATWT, it's in her blood. 

@JosephI know some people have missed Missy. I just haven't had the experience myself. 

@janea4oldThanks for looking things up, as always! 

Edited by Tonksadora
more info

• Members

I just wanted to give you the right date, I don't think I missed Missy especially since I wasn't watching much of the show then, it's just that I would've liked To see her Jennifer loose her temper a bit, Missy's Jennifer is always so sedate, it takes a real lot to piss that Woman!