Best Soap of Each Decade?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

GL just couldn't keep its momentum going for more than a half decade. 1980-85, 90-97, 2002-04 and finally 04-06.  

Objectively I would say: 

1970s: Days of Our Lives, with Bill Bell generating momentum and honing his signature style.  Young and Restless as runner-up.

1980s: General Hospital. Fantastic blend of romance and adventure. A formula that most others would try to emulate.  I gather 80s Days (and mid-80s AW) came the closest to.

1990s. Young and the Restless started the decade really strong with the Sheila and Phyllis stuff and Jack leaving Victor for dead.  GH would also be a contender which is amazing cause it was a much different tone than it was in the 80s or 2000s as it was more grounded with Labine's refocus on (GASP!) the hospital.

2000s.  I heard that One Life to Live was excellent during this decade so I'll give it to them. I'd say As the World Turns with Chris Goutman was actually the best until sometime around '06 or so when the wheels started to come off.  B&B was also kinda strong during this decade, I'm sad to say.

2010s.  General Hospital with nods to the Ice Princess.  Frank and company tried to revisit the big adventure era the best they could with modern financial realities.

2020s. Days of Our Lives are actually trying while Y&R is basically ASMR at this point.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

good lord 20s Y&R is BORING!

B&B was pretty strong from 2000-2002 with Deacon/Brooke/Bridget, Thorne/Macy/Brooke and Rick & Amber.

The wheels started coming off by 2003, but the show was still watchable. Things really fell apart in the next decade when the show shifted focus to Liam Steffy and Hope.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Anyone who's watched a decent amount of 50s or 60s episodes (most likely online) have a ranking on the early years? I know ATWT and TGL were highly reguarded. On the other hand OLTL brought some new flair in the 60s with stories like Carla white passing. 

Edited by ironlion