HW & EP from 1972-1976

• Members

Am I mistaken, or did Doris Quinlan not produce One Life to Live from its beginning in 1968. You had her list as starting in 1969, after the show had already been on the air. Also, I am not sure what Bud Kloss was doing during the first several months of All My Children, but Doris Quinlan was the producer of All My Children during its early times. (I am not sure if this was more than one year, but I suspect that it was.)

John Conboy, after leaving As the World Turns, was the original producer of Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.  He later left the show.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Concerning Ryan's Hope, Claire Labine and Paul Avilla Mayer were the original owners.

They were sometimes listed as the producers, just as Agnes Nixon and her husband were sometimes listed as producers of All My Children and One Life to Live.

The original producer of Ryan's Hope, though, was George Leferts.  He produced the show for probably three months or less.   He was replaced by the wonderful Robert Costello.   I feel that Mr. Costello brought the quality and prestige to the show.   Mr. Costello left after a long time, and Eileen Barrett replaced him.    The quality dropped immediately, I felt.

• Members

I believe Don Wallace was the original executive producer of OLTL. A 1970 episode of AMC does show Doris Quinlan as executive producer. 

John Conboy produced Love is a Many Splendored Thing for most of its run. He was replaced by Linda Wendell in January 1973. A month later, CBS cancelled the show and aired for the final time in March 1973.

• Members

Thanks for all the info ! It is so confusing sometimes to get it straight.

Doris Quinlan must have produced both OLTL and AMC at the same time as I found an article from Feb 1969 in which she was talking about Michael Storm taking over the role of Larry Wolek from his brother Jim Storm. And in a Feb 1971 episode of AMC, she was still listed as EP.

Edited by FrenchFan

• Members

That's my assumption too. I remember reading an interview with Wendell and she had some interesting plans. Mia Elliott was slated to return, Betsy Chernak was going to be involved in a lesbian storyline, and Inga Swenson had been cast to play the protagonist in a storyline inspired by "The Children's Hour."

• Members

I do know that Richard and Suzanne Holland, after A World Apart was cancelled, wrote for All My Children.

I have seen credits on which they were the only writers listed.    Agnes Nixon, many years later, did allow her name on the credits as a writer of All My Children.   However, for a long time she did not have her name on the credits, and that is probably what happened when the Holland pair was listed.

They later were writers for General Hospital.   Their son, Neil, appeared on One Life to Live as Danny Woleck.   I assume that they were New York-based when they were writing General Hospital.

I imagine that Don Wallace left One Life to Live in order to form a partnership with James Lipton (who had left Love Is a Many Splendored Thing) to produce The Best of Everything (which was written by Mr. Lipton).   After the cancellation of that show, they again teamed on Return to Peyton Place (and took Kathy Glass with them to play Allison McKenzie).

I am sorry.   I looked again at the original post, and Mr. Lipton wrote Love Is a Many Splendored Thing after the cancellation of The Best of Everything.  He then reteamed with Mr. Wallace on Return to Peyton Place.

• Members

2004 ATLANTA: Kiki McCabe, writer for TV soap operas

By DERRICK HENRY

Kiki McCabe's soap opera scripts kept a generation of daytime television viewers glued to their sets. She kept her music-loving friends entranced with her piano renditions of classical standards and show tunes.

In the early 1960s, soap opera maven Agnes Nixon, creator of the popular shows "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" and a head writer for many others, asked her friend Mrs. McCabe to be her secretary. Ms. Nixon dictated the stories to her and before long, Mrs. McCabe knew the characters intimately.

Ms. Nixon gave her a chance at writing for the soaps and discovered Mrs. McCabe --- who never had a writing class --- was good at it. "I'd create the plot, and she would fill in the dialogue," said Ms. Nixon of Rosemont, Pa.

For the next 20 years, Mrs. McCabe wrote dialogue for leading soap operas. Her scripts appeared on CBS' "Guiding Light," NBC's "Another World" and, from 1970 to 1983, ABC's "All My Children" starring Susan Lucci.

Mrs. McCabe received an Emmy for her writing on "All My Children."

Mary Catherine Priester McCabe, 75, died Sunday of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at her Atlanta residence. The body was cremated. Memorial service plans will be announced by Wages & Sons Funeral Home, Stone Mountain.

Mrs. McCabe, who moved to metro Atlanta in 1973 and went by the nickname Kiki, was "a free spirit, interested in everything," said her daughter, Cathy Gonzalez of Atlanta. "She did a lot of exploring spiritually and psychologically."

"Kiki went to a million workshops and elder hostels," said her friend Jim Sacco of Atlanta.

The Iowa native tired of writing about scoundrels and scandals and in 1986 earned a master's degree in social work from the University of Georgia. "She had outgrown soap opera," said her friend Helen Harvey of Brookhaven.

Mrs. McCabe became a counselor with Ms. Harvey at DeKalb Mental Health Center. She also worked as a secretary at the Shepherd Center and as a volunteer with Hospice Atlanta.

A cultured woman, Mrs. McCabe was "a fantastic pianist" --- good enough to play with the University of Notre Dame orchestra when she was in college, said Ms. Nixon. "She could play anything."

"She was classically trained, but when the boogie-woogie came out, that's what she wanted to play," said her daughter. "I hear it created a scandal in the family."

Survivors include a son, Michael Joseph McCabe of San Jose, Calif.; a sister, Eda Priester Hofmann of Pleasant Valley, Iowa; two brothers, Patrick Priester of Bettendorf, Iowa, and John Priester of Denver; and five grandchildren.

Edited by Paul Raven

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't know if the show (Love Is a Many Splendored Thing changed when Mr. Conboy left the show as producer, or it he left when the show's timeslot and empahsis) changed.    However it seemed very different after he left and the timeslot changed.

Edited by danfling

• 1 month later...