Class BBC's Dr Who Spin-Off

EricMontreal22

• Members

Did anyone else watch season 1 of this?  (I understand that it is coming to BBC America next year--does that mean the nudity will be removed)?

We got it in Canada the same day it went online in the UK--but, due to grad work, I only watched the season 1 finale last night.  I *loved* it, but (without spoilers) it's not without some big problems.  Patrick Ness wrote every single episode (something I don't think has been true of a Who related series in a long time, unless you count the third "miniseries" of Torchwood) and I think he bit off more than he could chew.  The story he wanted to tell could have filled 16 episodes rather than 8 and too often characters became instant friends, or bitter enemies in an unrealistic fashion that WOULD have been realistic if they had had just another episode to establish those relationships.

Still--a lot of fun, and a good balance of classic Who elements (I particularly loved the cameo right at the end of a fave Who character) and more adult stuff.  Plus, well handled gay alien sex--what more could you ask for.

I am really kinda tired of Who at the moment and it would be amazing if Ness took over as showrunner--although he's a fairly well known name in fantasy lit and has a big movie coming out, so maybe he wouldn't want to.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah, I didn't realize Chibnall had been decided on.  i liked, mostly, his season 2 of Torchwood (season 1 was a mess)--but he seems a poor choice for Who.

I would be curious to hear what you think of Class.  If you watch when BBCAmerica airs it, I assume it will have a few swear words and butt shots removed, but nothing else.  The stand-out is Katherine Kelly, who I only knew from Selfridges's and, while I loved her on that, didn't even recognize for several episodes.

• Members

Yeah, Moffat is leaving after next year and they put Chibnall in quickly. I liked Season 1 of Broadchurch - I hear Season 2 is a mess, haven't watched it yet (the show is full of DW alumni, BTW) - but I agree he's leagues below Moffat and RTD.

I have liked what I've seen of it, to say nothing of Greg Austin and the other hunks. I'll be getting to it very shortly as I am wrapping some other shows. I'll be torrenting, I'm not waiting on BBCA or its terrible edits.

Archived