Daytime's Master Headwriters: Their Strongest and Weakest Work

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was also surprised that Marland would make such harsh comments about Hulswit. he was usually so respectful in interviews. I thought the Dobsons' TGL was very strong, and I was not happy with everything that happened during Marland's reign, but I generally enjoyed his work there. He did use most of the characters, and did not sideline all of the vets, which so many incoming headwriters tend to do. I think his stints at GH and ATWT were stronger, however.

I was fortunate enough to enjoy Nixon's work on TGL, AW, OLTL, and AMC, and I would say that her style basically remain the same. She was very good at creating a sense of community among various characters from different socio-economic backgrounds. She excelled at three-dimensional characters, interpersonal-relationship drama, young romance, and family conflict. She could use comedy without it deteriorating into moronic camp. Her teen characters, like Johnny Fletcher and Peggy Scott on TGL and Tara Martin and Phil Brent on AMC, were not sappy and cloying, which is so often the case with teenagers on soaps. I would say that the only aspect of her writing that changed (or perhaps "evolved") over the years, was her ability to be forthright in presenting social issues. On the conservative P&G soaps, she had to be more careful about the material she dealt with, but once she went over to ABC, she had more freedom to present frank situations and dialogue. She is the epitome of a Master Writer. :)

• Members

Yes, many producers are good with the aesthetics, which certainly is a plus, but fail if they do not have strong headwriters to work with. I'd put John Conboy, Gloria Monty and Paul Rauch in this category along with Phelps.

Indeed, Peggy O'Shea and Henry Slesar were by far the show's best headwriters. The Karpfs, who created the series, were quite weak, and some of the original cast was dreadful. I thought Bill Beyers as Wally was adorable and talented, but others among the younger set of actors were painful to watch.

• Members

I actually did find Hulswit cute as a button, even though some folks complained about his supposed pudginess and thin hair. What TPTB don't understand is, the audience loves certain actors and characters regardless of their sex appeal. I've always found Tony Geary of GH to be homely, but he certainly captivated the interest of countless young women in the audience, even with his weak chin and dreadful hairdo. The audience loved Judith Light on OLTL, even though she was carrying extra weight during her time on that show, and her hair often looked fried and in need of a good conditioner. TPTB should not delude themselves into thinking that we are all so shallow that only perfect-looking mannequins will lure us in. I watched TGL for the likes of Papa Bauer, Bert Bauer, and Aunt Meta; shirtless muscles hunks would not have kept me tuned in for 40 years! Losing Mart Hulswit, and his familiar, comforting presence as Ed Bauer, really hurt the show.

• Members

Re: Capitol. I felt that it was a time-filler/placeholder until Bill Bell had a second show ready for CBS. I remember reading a Bill Bell interview where he mentioned CBS approached him as early as 1977 about creating a second show for the network's daytime lineup, but for whatever reason that didn't happen until a decade later.

• Members

Papa Bell probably didn't want anything to distract him from his "baby," Y&R.  However, creating and producing B&B allowed him (that is, his company) an opportunity to own 100% of a series as well as the chance to train his family in the family business.

• Members

I never warmed up to Dolan in either role. I always found her somewhat aloof and distant. Ellen Parker was was a much better Maureen Bauer, IMHO, exuding a warmth, kindness, and compassion that had been lacking in the character until Parker took over the role.

As for ATWT, let's just say that Dolan was my...third favorite Margo Hughes; better suited for the role than the dreadful Glynnis O'Connor, but lacking the charm of Hillary Bailey Smith and Margaret Colin.

Oh, absolutely. Bell and Nixon were both masters of their craft, but had completely different writing styles.

• Members

Agreed, also. Hulswit was comforting as Ed, but he also had a temper and would fight back if pushed. Some of those scenes between Roger and Ed from the mid-to late 1970's - when they came to fisticuffs - were great, especially because Hulswit's Ed was clearly outmatched by Roger. But, it didn't matter - Ed was (usually) defending his family and wouldn't back down. I could never imagine Simon's Ed having enough emotion to come to fisticuffs with Roger Thorpe.

Plus, I thought Hulswit and Don Stewart really acted like true brothers onscreen, even though they didn't look a thing alike :-)

Archived