Please Like Me (Aussie/"American" gay comedy)

EricMontreal22

• Members

We're mid-way through season two of this show (which Pivot, a channel I don't think I know any American who gets, is now co-funding,) And I think I'm enjoying it more than ever. Is anyone else watching? The limited US press it's gotten has been full of praise, but trying to describe it as a male "Girls," seems to miss the point completely. Josh Thomas, the out comedian who stars and writes it is someone I would find pretty infuriating to be friends with in real life, but on screen I find him oddly charming, and I look forward to the show every week even as nothing much happens.

Any other fans?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just looked it up to remind me, but I first heard about this show when one of my favourites from Home and Away (Charles Cottier), was cast on this show soon after he left. I have yet to take the time to watch it myself. Cottier apparently plays a charactner named Patrick. What's his role like on the show? Do you like him?

• Members

Yeah, he's a bit of an enigmatic character, but comes off as appealing (and has some rear nudity.) The season 2 episodes seem to be uploaded--not sure for how long--on youtube... His role has become more prominent in the past two episodes.

I *think* you can get the feel for the show from watching them--it's lightly serialized (a few characters who left in season 1 come back this year,) but... There was a time jump between seasons, and the only thing you really need to know is Josh is living with his best (straight) friend Thomas, still, and Patrick moved in -- and his father had a baby with his Thai wife, and his mom's mental issues have grown since season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0h6_4QUjZ4

• Members

Apparently it was their only "hit," which is why they are co-funding this season (and bumped the episode order to 10) and next year. But from what I gather about the "network," it also seems to be their only original scripted show so... It has started getting a lot more love from various TV sites and some magazines (The New Yorker, randomly, and one of the new Ent Weekly critics picked it as a top ten series.) It trades in a lot of the awkward/uncomfortable humour which is popular right now, but the show lacks any mean spiritedness, which I find refreshing--as I do the casual way they treat things like (some) male nudity and the gay stuff.

Archived