FCC moves forward with plans to privatize Internet

DRW50

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More. Most of those who voted for it don't even like it. It's being rammed through with excuses like, "Well we have to have some sort of rules..." And the chairman keeps talking about all this oversight they're sure to have, when he likely knows that won't happen. They even give leeway that would allow the big companies to charge and gouge and then say things like, "but this is reasonable."

Money talks. As always.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/15/fcc-approves-plan-to-allow-for-paid-priority-on-internet/?tid=pm_pop

• Members

Ever since I read that this was a possibility, my reaction has been like all of yours, sheer disappointment, foreboding and hoping that it will be derailed. I don't care what Wheeler says, this will most likely result in ISPs maneuvering to slyly slow down the speeds of downloading and streaming of data, creating certain frustration among customers while the same ISPs will be slyly nudging customers to 'upgrade' to a higher tier of service, at a higher cost.

If the FCC insists on doing this (I hope it gets derailed), I think they need to change the Internet's status from an Information Service to a Utility/Telecommunications Service so that it could be...*wait for it*...lightly regulated. If they are going in this direction, it will need to be regulated to prevent abuses by the likes of Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner & AT&T.

I also think the FCC needs to do more than make a show of encouraging entrepreneurs and start ups and small business and start actively courting and promoting start up ISPs to compete against these big behemoths that act like a cartel and keep service standards low and fares high.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, try going to any industrialized country in Europe, try going to South Korea or Japan and you'll know what I'm talking about. The broadband and high speed services there are more advanced while prices tend to be competitive unlike in the U.S. where there is a borderline monopoly and sevice that underwhelms for the rates.

AT&T and Verizon ought to have to compete with lots of local, regional and start up companies, the way they must in the U.K. I bet then you'd see a universal 'upgrade' of quality of service (without the large price tag) and unreasonable monthly fees. Hmph!

• Members

We definitely need MORE competition. I like the idea of Internet being a utility and some slight regulation applied. A couple of articles on the US' failings:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/02/06/272480919/when-it-comes-to-high-speed-internet-u-s-falling-way-behind

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/us-broadband-speed-cost-infographic/

Archived