Ratings from the 80's

• Members

@GLATWT88

Looking back and it's worse than I thought for GL. Their cliffhanger for the week before is Josh and Reva's wedding. The following week GL dropped during the wedding. 

I've never seen a soap drop when a start of wedding was a cliffhanger.

Here's the promo for that week. Apparently the announcer wasn't right? People weren't waiting for it.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It might have been the combination of those three factors that damaged GL in the mid- and late-'80's.  Now, I'll admit that I'm in the minority when it comes to my opinion of that era; I loved watching every minute of it!  But, I can see how someone who'd watched GL longer than I had at that point (for the record, I was born in '79) might feel resentful toward the show, because the Bauers had long been eclipsed by other families.  As a matter of fact, I KNOW I would have felt the same as they did, lol.

• Members

Guiding Light this week Sherry Stringfield debut.

What is happening w/ supercouple Days? A year earlier they were challenging Y&R and General Hospital for #1 and now its middle of the pack. There's the factors of its new lead in Generations being weak plus time slot rivals Y&R being a killer show destroying everything in its path and B&B showing growth. Was there something else behind the scenes or were viewers getting tired of the supercouple craze? I know there's only a little over a year left of supercouple Days.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

ATWT doing very well.

All episodes for the last week of July are on YouTube.

Duke finds out about the devious plan Julie and Lucinda had for him.

Susan was about to tell John about Lucinda's devious plan to get Duke out of town.

Oakdale citizens start receiving mysterious phone calls.

James returns to Oakdale as a disguised gardner Mr. Chavez. His last return under Marland. 

Pam K. Long brought back a lot of fan favorites and did some better recast but the writing was still flat. That's why GL was still struggling in the ratings. They were at #8.

YR had the Rawlins murder mystery. GL has a promo of it on its episode the last week of July.

• Members

Yes, and January 8, 1990 which Soap Weekly did not have.

The only weeks we are missing since 1979 are 8/24/81, 10/19/87 and 12/14/87. The two weeks from 1987 were verified both from the VR post in 2019 and someone just said they had the Daytime TV scans of those weeks as well, but I have yet to receive those.

From the Soap Opera Weekly era from 1989-1991, there are 4 weeks still pending to get the additional data (affiliates, clearance and preemptions). And two weeks (5/20/91 and 5/27/91) are not yet available, but the main data is available from Soap Opera Weekly.

• Members

Anne Howard Baily had a difficult task -Patch/Kayla and Shane/Kim the last 2 big supercouples had been married off, so she had to come up with some stories that kept them frontburner.

She chose the old presumed dead/amnesia trope for Shane and Kim. and Gideon/Emily for the Johnsons.

In addition Roman/Diana had ended and Roman needed a new supercoupling.

And there were no new Bradys or Hortons to be the next adventure based supercouple.