Gimme A Break

Dr Neil Curtis

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just started watching it because it's on TVOne on Friday's. Hilarious show. I haven't seen any episodes past season 5 yet. (TVOne is only on season 3, but I watched a couple of later episodes on YT as well.)

I love Nell. She's awesome. And, Simpson is dumber than a box o' rocks and I find that amusing.

• Members

They had a good cast. Some of the daughters were a little annoying but I always liked the oldest.

My favorite part was the relationship between Addie and Nell, even if Nell was horribly abusive toward her.

It wasn't the same after Dolph Sweet died.

I just love their theme song in the middle seasons. It fits the era perfectly and is very catchy. It should have been released as a single.

The episode I remember most is the one with Joey breakdancing. "My man, my man."

• Members

My memories of this show were from the Joey Lawrence years, so it was surprising for me to discover that this show originated with a single dad and three girls.

Nevertheless, watching this as an adult, I can see exactly why there was backlash against this show because I can't make out the difference between this and an episode of Beulah. No matter how Nell Carter tried to spin it and defend it, airing this tripe in that day and age was wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived