Morgan Freeman on Soaps

• Members

Actor's foot and mouth disease

Morgan Freeman exclusive on death of soaps: "After 100 years, I think it was time to go." More in @SoapUncensored

BTW: I prefaced my Morgan Freeman question with: U starred on Another World.... And the genre spotlighted minorities long before film...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand what that means about long before film. Soaps began having black characters in the 60's - that was after, or around the time, Sidney Poitier became a star. Minorities in soaps had supporting roles for many years even during stronger periods for black actors in film. Ultimately both have failed minorities, but soaps have done so in a shocking and regressive manner.

• Members

Exactly. I don't understand why Freeman or any minority actor is supposed to terribly sad about the death of soaps. It's the same question I have for people who wanted Oprah to save these shows. Why should Oprah save shows where should wouldn't be allowed to exist as a character and that considered her worthless as a consumer? Morgan Freeman can look at soaps in the larger context of his years in the entertainment industry. He can see how out of date they are.

Archived