Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

Alphanguy, thank you so much for sharing those wonderful photos. That took a lot of courage.

"Pretty Baby" sounds a lot more like a Shirelles song than a Motown record.

I really like "Where Did Our Love Go," but then again I am not a die-hard Supremes fan. I never realized that most Supremes fans don't like that song.

I never knew that Motown made such heavy use of non-musical instruments.

Despite her major talents, Diana Ross always came across to me as a bitchy diva. On the other hand, Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves seem like such nice people.

I actually think that Reeves has the better singing voice than Ross, and it is a shame that she and the Vandellas never had a number one hit. As much as I enjoy "Dancing in the Street," my two favorite songs by that group (in this order) are "Heat Wave" (#4, 1963) and "Jimmy Mack" (#10, 1967). Believe it or not, a man named Christopher Feldman wrote a book titled "The 'Billboard' Book of No. 2 Singles." He quoted Martha as saying that the Vandellas were so named because "I felt that the association with [actress and singer Della Reese's] name would bring us luck, so I decided to go for it. The 'Della' in Vandellas comes from her name. As for the 'Van,' I lived in my parents' house, which is still our home, near Van Dyke Street. It would always identify us with Detroit." (It should be noted that the group was originally named the Del-Phis, and then the Vels. When one of the members left early on, Gordy recommended another name change for legal reasons.)

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to have this GREAT book called "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?", which was all about the various girl groups/solo artists with the same sound starting from the 40s up to the late 80s (It was published in 1989), and I always loved reading the stories of Ellie Greenwich (RIP), given how many famous songs she wrote/co-wrote in her life, including (of course) The Shangri-La's "Leader of the Pack", which is one of my favorites (I generally love 80s music, but I have a HUGE weakness for 60s music, too). It was funny to read her quotes about how they were considered a cutting edge band at the time, when they're actually pretty innocent now. She also talked about how Mary Weiss (who sang lead on the song, as well as in the band itself), wound up crying when they recorded the song, as her mic was right in her face (actually, that may have been in the Billboard Book of Number One Hits; I can't remember now).

And Lesley Gore. I LOVE Lesley Gore. "It's My Party" is great, of course, having gone to number one, but "You Don't Own Me", which went to number two wub.png ...It's kind of crazy to think she recorded that song when she did (not to mention the irony in that she wound up being a lesbian--I don't think she really cared about "going out with other boys!" laugh.png ).

I also love Shelley Fabares' "Johnny Angel." That song was featured in the Cher movie Mermaids, a movie I've watched countless times over my lifetime. I think a lot of my 60s music obsession is chiefly due to that movie.

She actually was less than thrilled about recording music--less so than Paul Petersen (her onscreen brother on The Donna Reed Show)--but of course SHE wound up with the timeless, classic number one song! smile.png

Karen Carpenter did a short cover of that song in the 70s, too--beautiful as always.

I LOVE that book! It's nice to see the runners-up acknowledged, too. Did they ever have more than edition of that book, though? I don't think they did. sad.png

• Members

Bette has such a great sense of humor.

My memory could be mistaken on this, but I seem to recall reading an interview with Lesely. She was asked if it was akward to sing about boys and replied that it wasn't, because she didn't figure out she was a lesbian until her mid-20s.

Johnny Angel is indeed a timeless classic. MissLlanviewPA, I'd also like to mention that Carl doesn't care for Paul Petersen's songs, either (nor do I).

I'm almost certain that there was never a second edition. Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised, since the appeal of such a book would probably be limited to chart fanatics like us.

The Animals' only #1 single was "The House of the Rising Sun," which spent three weeks at the top: the weeks ended 9/5/64, 9/12/64, & 9/19/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zTNNDI-tgYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vocalist Eric Burdon was born on May 11, 1941 in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England. Though he loved music, his original goal in life was to find employment in the film and TV industries. When that didn't pan out, however, he formed a group with fellow locals Bryan "Chas" Chandler (on bass), Alan Price (keyboards), John Steel (drums), and Hilton Valentine (guitar). According to "The 'Billboard' Book of Number One Hits," the act got its moniker because "Burdon and Steel were on the fringes of a local gang led by a flipped-out army vet who called himself Animal Hog. He was a symbol of rebellion to the lads and they borrowed his name for the group."

The Animals' first American hit was "The House of the Rising Sun." It was a traditional folk song whose roots are believed to date back centuries. Nevertheless, the Animals' haunting version of the tune sounds much more like it was from 1966 or 67 than from 64. Following this classic, the group accumulated numerous additional top twenty hits:

"I'm Crying" (#19, 1964)

"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (#15, 1965)

"We Gotta Get Out of This Place" (#13, 1965)

"Don't Bring Me Down" (#12, 1966)

"See See Rider" (#10, 1966)

"When I Was Young" (#15, 1967)

"San Franciscan Nights" (#9, 1967)

"Monterey" (#15, 1968)

"Sky Pilot (Part One)" (#14, 1968)

The Animals disbanded in 1969, though they did re-form several times for reuions. Also note that there were several personnel changes during the glory years, beginning when Price was replaced by Dave Rowberry in May 1965. In 1994, the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Aside from being part of the Animals, Chandler is best known for being the manager of Jimi Hendrix. And after leaving the act in 1969, Burdon joined another group: War. The only hit Burdon had with them was the #3 recording "Spill the Wine" (1970). (However, War would have many more top 40 hits after Burdon left them.)

• Members

I did not realize it was a #1 in 1964. It does sound more like late 60's.

I have to admit I am not a fan of this song and never have been. It's very high on my overrated songs list (along with Hotel California, and anything by the Rolling Stones). I do appreciate it more as I get older, but it's never done a lot for me. I think it's a little drab and self-important. I prefer the Frijid Pink cover, where the echoing and that killer guitar add such authority.

I'm also not a fan of We Got To Get Out of Place. Perhaps it's just Burdon's voice which bothers me.

My favorite of his hits, mostly for the opening (the music and the "strobe lights..." section, not the blather at the start).

• Members

I think "House Of The Rising Sun" is ok... I have to say I like the song better than the Animals' version. My favorite version of this was done in 1967 by Ronnie Milsap:

The Frijid Pink version is certainly much more powerful and in your face... I like it better than the Animals' version as well. Here's a great clip of them performing it:

• Members

I've actually never heard Paul sing before, but I do admire him for his work with A Minor Consideration (to give child actors full protection under the law when they work--not to mention the emotional help he aims to provide as well).

The number one song in the US when I was born--February 28th, 1989--was Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes" (which, I um, happen to like a lot). I've always liked her because of how driven she was from the time she was a child--writing, producing, and singing her own songs before she was even 18!

"Electric Youth" is a favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDH-Xd1T9bQ

I've never heard her first number one, though,. "Foolish Beat." Not that I remember, anyway.

• Members

Which one is Price? They both sound a little like Tom Jones.

Since War apparently had no #1 hits on the big chart, I may as well post a few of my favorite, timeless songs from that group. The World is a Ghetto is a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqsOX4g99k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKMdmPBWRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQAlfyaKyc

• Members

Wow, this song is like the unofficial moving into the 60s song for this thread. I always loved this song and The Animals version of it. It is amazing how different the music is now that on the first pages and shows you what an explosive period in music this time frame was. Ten years ago the music of 2002 is not much different than what it is now in 2012, but 1964 and 1954 are two entirely different animals.

• Members

You're so right. The only difference in the last decade might be the autotuning, or the Europop influence. We don't really have trends or new phases in music now. It's mostly nostalgia and clinging to the past, because many, understandably, don't want to think of the future.

• Members

I really don't care for "Foolish Beat." My favorite Gibson song is "Shake Your Love" (#4, 1987).

These are great observations.

Roy Orbison's signature song--the magnificent "Oh, Pretty Woman"--spent three weeks at number one: the weeks ended 9/26/64, 10/3/64, & 10/10/64.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofPxPli5E1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Roy Orbison was perhaps even more popular in the U.K. than in the U.S. In 1963, while touring with the Beatles, he had forgotten to bring his regular glasses and was forced to wear sunglasses instead. Upon heavy circulation of the concert photographs, it suddenly occurred to Roy that these sunglasses could become a unique trademark. (Pictures of Orbision taken prior to this time usually show him not wearing glasses at all.)

In his home country, the rock legend from Texas had already scored eight top 10 hits (including the chart-topping "Running Scared") before the release of "Oh, Pretty Woman." This inspiration of this tune came when Orbison's wife, Claudette, was leaving home to go shopping. Roy asked her if she needed any cash, but Bill Dees (who co-wrote the song with Orbison) replied that "A pretty woman never needs any money."

Shortly after "Oh, Pretty Woman" fell from the top spot, Roy changed labels from Monument to MGM. Yet, in stark contrast to what one might think (given that he had just experienced the biggest hit of his career), Orbison never made the top 20 for the rest of his life. Much worse, however, were the terrible personal tragedies that would soon befall him. On June 7, 1966, he watched as Claudette was killed in a motorcycle accident. Two years later, Roy's two oldest sons died in a fire that also destroyed his Tennessee home.

Roy finally got a much needed career revival in the late-80s, beginning when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. That same year, he was signed to Virgin Records, and--in 1988--he formed the Traveling Wilburys with George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan. Sadly, his heralded comeback was short-lived, as he died of a heart attack (at age 52) on December 6, 1988.

Posthumously, Orbison's nearly 25-year absence from the top ten came to an end when "You Got It" reached #9 in 1989. IMO, this song is one of his very best and deserved to go to #1.

• Members

Here's a newer topic here: Southern rock!

http://en.wikipedia....i/Southern_rock

A lot of my family is from Arkansas, so I have a special appreciation for it (as well as older country like Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash--modern country? Not so much.).

Georgia Satellites went to number two with "Keep Your Hands to Yourself."

The Allman Brothers also charted at number two with "Ramblin' Man."

In fact, I can't think right now of any Southern rock song that actually went to number one. Anyone know if there was one?

One of my favorites is actually "Don't Misunderstand Me" by the Rossington-Collins Band, which was formed after Lynyrd Skynyrd's infamous plane crash in 1977 (it disbanded after two years).

The original LK's last big hit, though, was "What's Your Name."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SSeACInqw

• Members

Pretty Woman is a great song. I think my favorite song from him is Cryin'.

I never knew why he wore the sunglasses. Good story.

I never understood why Roy Orbison fell so out of favor in the US for so many years. Between that and his personal tragedies I'm not sure how he managed to live through it.

You Got It is a wonderful song, and deserved even more success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpgtbcP8-ig

Archived