Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

I remember the song being used in Western Union commercials in the 90s.

The first of an amazing twelve chart-toppers for the Supremes was "Where Did Our Love Go," a song which was number one for two weeks: the weeks ended 8/22/64 & 8/29/64.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kSFTj-7Orhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

America's most successful vocal group was formed in 1959 as the Primettes and originally consisted of four girls from the Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects in Detroit: Diana Ross (born 3/26/44), Mary Wilson (born 3/6/44), Florence Ballard (born 6/30/43, and cousin of R&B legend Hand Ballard), and Betty McGlown (born in 1943). (The Primettes were so named because they were a sister group to a male trio known as the Primes; two of its members--Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams--would later become part of the Temptations.) Though Smokey Robinson arranged for an audition with Motown in 1960, Berry Gordy, Jr. rejected the Primettes at that time. They did, however, record the double sided "Tears of Sorrow" (with Ross on lead) and "Pretty Baby" (with Wilson on lead, although Ballard was co-lead during the tune's introduction) on Lu Pine Records. Shortly after this record was made, McGlown left the group and was replaced by Barbara Martin (born in 1944).

Thanks in part to their persistence, Gordy changed his mind and signed the girls to his label in 1961. Prior to releasing their first single on Motown, Berry asked the group to change its name (as the Primes had since disbanded): it was Florence Ballard who came up with the Supremes moniker, which Diana Ross hated (because she believed it sounded too masculine). The group's first two Motown singles--"I Want a Guy" and "Buttered Popcorn"--failed to chart. ("Buttered Popcorn" featured the lead vocals of Ballard.) The Supremes' third single on Motown, 1962's "Your Heart Belongs to Me," fizzled at #95. Despite that tunes's low chart position, however, "Your Heart Belongs to Me" marked an important turning point in the group's history for two reasons: (1) Martin then left the Supremes, thus making them a trio, and (2) after that record charted, the decision was made to designate Ross as the permanent lead singer.

While other artists at Motown were racking up chart successes, the Supremes were ridiculed by company employees as the "No-Hit Supremes." Though a glimmer of hope came when "When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" peaked at #23 in early 1964, the group's fortunes still looked bleak. Months later, the legendary songwriting team of Lamont Dozier and brothers Brian and Eddie Holland composed a tune titled "Where Did Our Love Go," which was intended for the Marvelettes. According to Dozier: "Gladys Horton, their lead singer, was not that fond of the song. I played a little bit of it for her--we had the track already cut--but she just couldn't get into the 'baby, baby' and said 'no way am I gonna sing any junk like that!' [The Supremes, however,] were low on the totem pole and they wouldn't give us any lip because they couldn't afford to...But Gladys had told Diane, 'Hey, I wouldn't do that, girl, we turned it down.' They said, 'Wait a minute, what are we doing, getting rejects of the Marvelettes?' It was just one headache after another, but they did the song and they were quite disappointed with the outcome."

Needless to say, Motown Records' golden era arrived the moment "Where Did Our Love Go" became #1.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... I'll have plenty to say on all these Supremes songs, since I've always been a big fan, and pretty much know every bit of minutiae about them :). I don't like "Where Did Our Love Go", and most Supremes fans don't, either... it was mainly the average joe public that liked it, I suppose, especially because all three Supremes HATED it as well, and I don't use that term lightly. They felt it was juvenile and repetetive. Mary Wilson recalls crying with dissapointment when they played it for her the first time. Holland Dozier Holland seemed to think it sexy and kittenish, and they felt that was it's appeal, and it's simplicity. Here they are singing it live on the Steve Allen show in dresses that Diana and Mary made on Ernestine Ross' sewing machine.

• Members

Yep.. she really cried. Especially since the Marvellettes rejected the song, and they were giving Martha and the Vandellas their best compositions at the time. They hadn't had any hits to speak of at the time, so this was seen as them being given the leftovers everyone else refused. Flo just gave a half hearted performance, and you can't really hear her on the recording... for years, most fans thought Flo was out sick and Mary was signing the backgrounds by herself... it certainly sounded like it. One thing that made Motown songs unique is the use of Non-musical instruments on the records. This experimentation gave quite a cutting edge sound, with sounds that people had never heard on record. the CLAP CLAP CLAP on "Where Did Our Love Go" is made by a couple of 2X4's being smacked together. "Dancing In the Street features a crowbar and "Nowhere To Run" uses tire chains rattling in place of tambourine, which producer Ivy Joe Hunter shook during the session until his hands were bloody.

• Members

I saw Diana Ross twice. Once in Central Park where she put on a tremendous show, and that impressed me so much I went to see her at Radio City. There however the show was awful. The entire set was a mere 45 minutes long and the tickets weren't cheap. Since that highway robbery I have been anti-Ross and don't think I would even go see her for free.

• Members

That type of thing is probably why the Supremes "comeback" concert flopped.

Mary is rocking the cleavage!

I'm surprised she disliked that song so much, as she had more to do on it than she did for many songs in the Diana era of the Supremes. I don't think it's a great song, it just seems light and then ends abruptly, but it's a good song nonetheless.

• Members

Carl.. as far as length of show and setlist, that concert tour was great, it's just that nobody in an arena size show wanted to see Diana Ross and the 70's Supremes, one of which was just a stand in for Cindy Birdsong while she was on maternity leave. But charge 100-300$ for a ticket and then not have onstage who is SUPPOSED to be there, and have Ross in poor voice and forget the lyrics to her songs right and left in EVERY show... word of mouth got around, and it flopped. Mary then went on the offensive and pretty much sunk the whole thing, which is hilarious to me. So many people said to me at the time that Mary should have just taken the money and shut up, but then I always counter with this.. would YOU go back to your old job where you used to be paid a percentage of 33 percent, and go back when you are offered basically 10 percent? Especially when your old partner hadn't had a top 40 hit in over 15 years at the time? that smacks of USING to me.

• Members

I'm going to bring out another #2 feature. this one, Motown oriented as well. By 1964, Martha and the Vandellas already had several hits under their belt, with "Heat Wave", "Quicksand", and "Come And Get These Memories".. but "Dancing In the Street" became what is to be their signature song, and many feel, the song that most epitomizes the Motown sound. It was released in July 31, 1964, and climbed the charts in August, peaking at #2, but also staying in the top 40 for a long time, selling every bit as many as most of the #1 Motown hits of the 60's. Very few songs go from being hit records to iconic cultural fixtures, and this song is one. That clanking metallic sound accentuating the drum beats is, as I mentioned, a crowbar striking a piece of metal... something totally unorthadox. This song was considred by some in the conservative establishment as a call to riot, and Martha was watched and Followed by the FBI all the way up until late 1971, considering her later anti-war song, "I Should Be Proud", they kept her under surviellance. She told me she didn't care, in her words, "Let em follow me around, they ain't gonna see nothin". Martha was performing as Martha Lavaille in a local detroit club, when she was approached by Mickey Stevenson to come to Motown. she ended up being an A&R secretary for a few months before getting her chance to record. She formed a group, because she didn't like to be alone on the road, and Annette Sterling and Roz Ashford joined her to form Martha and the Vandellas. Annette left in early 64, and was replaced at this time by Betty Kelley for "Dancing In the Street", and then later replaced by Martha's sister Lois.

• Members

I love a lot of the Martha and the Vandellas songs and I'm sorry they were eclipsed by the Supremes. Martha's voice is gone now but the rasp and vibrancy were essential to Motown and to the era.

Many of my favorite songs of theirs probably aren't their best known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khL89e42ljE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVrZmTj_rw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7seTvtKUU1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYlAJKv-hRo

This was a song they did around the time Vietnam was heating up. It's beautifully done, and yet, compared to the superb I Should Be Proud, also shows just how much would change in America in only about 2-4 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2inQGbY4zw

• Members

BTW.... Carl, Martha is CURRENTLY on the billboard dance chart at #33 with her collaboration with Crystal Method. She's really jazzed about it, so nice for her to be getting some attention, she appeared on Jimmy Kimmell a couple weeks ago, and Dancing with the Stars last week.

• Members

I actually really LIKE it, and I usually hate modern music! Yes, I loved that KLF Tammy Wynette collaboration, too. Martha's best album, IMO, is 1972's "Black Magic", the song you posted "Bless You" is from that album, great cover shot... and AWESOME songs:

• Members

Max mentioned that The Supremes were originally the Primettes, they DID record two songs that were released briefly on the Lu-pine label, and these are the only two songs that Betty McGlown appear on. This is "Pretty Baby", the first song they ever recorded, Florence Ballard signing the intro to the verses and Mary Wilson singing lead:

Archived