Shortland Street

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The new Mini-Series (Spin-Off) Retribution started a couple of weeks ago and features Esther and Curtis!

it’s a bit darker than the main show but still so good. They already said that the events of „Retribution“ will be a part of Esther’s and Curtis new story in 2022 Shorty.

i’m so hyped.. Next year will be the big 30! Can’t wait to see what they will pull this year and it there will be a few guests from the past!

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

Calling bullsh!t on Michelle's exit. I don't care what spin the producers say, Michelle had one of the strangest and degrading exits I've ever seen on a soap.

They completely trashed her character for weeks before she left, becoming needy, not able to work with Chris because it was just too much (despite being a strong independent female ex Politian), having Chris and Vivienne gaslight Michelle whilst framing Michelle as a shrieking, paranoid over dramatic shrew, then they completely changed her character overnight by making her a hippy obsessed with crystals and dumping her off in a silent retreat.

Then after she left, TK trashed her by calling her a racist and Desi went on a tirade against her calling her all sorts and saying she never liked her (when Desi had always liked Michelle and they were friends). Not to mention Tess completely forgot about her despite being a mother figure and constant free babysitter. Not even one mention to visit or check in on Michelle off screen.

Everything seemed incredibly personal and vindictive.

• Members

Dear god, no thank you.

Esther is the biggest Mary Sue on this show. She constantly acts like a slapper and everyone still fawns over her. Though I have appreciated TK taking a tougher stance on her and rightfully calling her out more often on her selfishness.

Her M.O is routinely gets pregnant by some guy, then give mixed signals to a different guy, usually whilst pregnant to another guy and then lead him on whilst still saying Curtis is her number 1. She constantly uses and manipulates men Curtis, Eddie, Marty even her own uncle TK.

As for cuckold Curtis, he apparently is more than okay for her to get pregnant by any man and for her to screw around constantly because she's lonely and still she is the most beautiful flawless being in the world. I'm fine with open relationships, but they constantly say it isn't an open relationship and none of the issues are dealt with. I don't care how easy going some guys are all men would have to be a little jealous that their partner screws around so easily and routinely forgets they exist.

There is no realism in the Esther & Curtis pairing because the writers are so insistent that they are a fairytale couple despite Curtis rarely being on.

Also the Curtis actor is dreadful. He pauses mid sentence constantly and talks in a weird breathy mumble

I wish I could share your enthusiasm about the 30th anniversary next year but I don't. This year was horrible, probably one of the worst on record and Shortland Street has been crap for years now.

I don't think incorporating events in a spinoff that hardly anyone will see and making it an integral part of the shows 30th anniversary is very wise either, especially as Shorty isn't doing so great in the ratings anymore and because NZ is such a small country streaming numbers don't have the same monetary impact that they would from a more populated country. No need to alienate your viewers further.

Though I did greatly enjoy the final three episodes for the year.

• Members

@Slutty Shauna Fan

I get where you coming from with this about Esther. I always liked Esther since she joined. But the last 2-3 years were a bit rough with her. 
In that Spin-Off Curtis is Undercover and Esther still went there for him and got into trouble. That girl is all about herself

Please register in order to view this content

I don’t mind that acting of Curtis actor. I saw worse on Shorty. 

i don’t think that this was the worst year Shorty ever had. 2020/2021 had COVID issues and they still had great stuff.

one of my favorite things happened during the 2020/2021 seasons: Nicole and Maeve wedding! They have such a great run so far and I love their lovestory! I also liked Phoenix suicide story and Tess own story afterwards.

Only story I had my issues with was Dawn/Prince.. I will always side with Prince. Yes he cheated but that annoying girl Dawn has always been about HER plans, HER dreams, HER career, HER life. It was all about HER! Prince should‘ve dumped her a long time ago.

I have watched Shorty regulary since May 2004.. I watched a lot of 90‘s when it was on Sky over there in NZ. But no one seems to have recorded them  would love to rewatch the early years! 

i always try to see some positive about my soaps but get when people can’t be as positive about it as I am. But I do think they pull something great off for the BIG 30!

the big 20th is still my favorite anniversary of Shorty

• Members

Sorry I forgot how to tag you AmcCOLTLLover and I don't mean to be so negative but I feel as though I have to vent and I've tried to be optimistic about it because I did love it up until 2018 but ever since it feels like a chaotic, disjointed mess. Usually silly or awful with moments of brilliance.

I started watching during the Joey storyline, then as Maia was my favourite character I managed to go back and rewatch the show on yt from her first episode. So it's pretty cool we've seen the same episodes and eras. I wish more mid 90s episodes were available as I loved Carla from the episodes that were around and was thrilled to bits when I read she was coming back. 

I actually think they handled Covid extremely poorly. The Australian soaps were the gold standard, Neighbours in particular. The social distancing was just awful and the kisses were laughable. All the writers and directors had to do was tweak some things so they didn't look like crap. Reshoot some scenes so that everyone's hair didn't change from scene to scene in the same episode after filming resumed from lockdown. Don't have Nicole stand two meters away from Pele trying to awkwardly comfort him from a nightmare. All they needed to do was have Pele scream for Nicole and say he had a nightmare about Carla and have Nicole tend to him upstairs off screen. I mean c'mon you had people collapsing from a gas leak and everyone just standing around gawking at them two meters away like they had leprosy. Do better directors. 

I loved the Phoenix suicide storyline too because I absolutely hated Phoenix and the actor. Out of Chris' instakids he was by far the worst.

I HEAR YOU. I was team Prince too. I absolutely loathe Dawn, I only hate Desi more. Dawn was ridiculous this year. From her addiction to hoarding dogs, to her sex toy craze where she was gushing about her orgasms at the reception desk (not giving a crap that Prince could have to go to prison), then her becoming manic over the wedding and money saving, despite constantly having time off work to visit the farm and that awful influencer phase where she was hawking tea at the hospital that can cause kidney failure. Seriously why didn't Chris come down harder on her. She should have at least got a written warning.

It was no surprise Prince cheated given everything he had to put up with. Though he was a little ungrateful considering Dawn did buy him things. Still both were cheaters so it always bound to happen. I did like how Dawn owned her mistakes though and she was surprisingly mature about it until she started going after Samira. 

Why does Dawn never get seriously called out for her violence. She bites people, she pulls hair and she constantly threatens physical violence on people like how she threatened to bash Madonna's face in for judging her skanky ways.

I really like Nicole, despite her tendency to shriek, act paranoid and become extremely jealous. Maeve however I can't stand. Maeve always acts holier than thou and preachy and ever since they turned her into an egotistical bitch where she always knows best, always has to have her own way and is determined to harass and ruin Tom's happiness she's just become too much I'm afraid to say. She doesn't even give a shiiit about how Nicole could lose her job over the antics she pulls and she always dismisses Nicole's point of view. It hasn't helped that they have had issues since day one starting with Theo. So I don't think it's a very healthy relationship, which is a shame as I need a same sex relationship to invest in and Leanne & Ros or Tessa & Mariah from Y&R are not it.

I would love Maia to return and a love triangle to happen.

Hands down agree the 20th anniversary was such a great time. In fact the whole of 2012 was really great in a really fantastic period of Shorty. I can remember being impatient waiting for the next episode to air.

Shorty always does anniversaries well though. I loved the low key 15th and really loved the 25th.

Edited by Slutty Shauna Fan

• Members

Speaking  of Tom, I have rarely seen a soap  backpedal so much with a character.  In the space of two weeks or less, he went from isolating and manipulating Rico to have access to his money to being the noble-but-tortured true love for Tess. Even if one does not especially like Jack that much, how are we meant  to get over Tom drugging him, or Tom claiming that Jack sexually harassed him when none of this was ever addressed again? It doesn't help that Tess went through three love interests in a year. I like Tess, but that is mostly down to the actress, as the  character is paper-thin.

I also don't like Desi very much. I fully realized why in the recent wedding-mania story. Every  time they take  baby  steps to maturing the  character, they  go right back to the selfishness and callousness which  moves plot along and is good for  'comedy.' Damo's sister really showed her up in her brief stint, managing to be comedic while also having some heartbreaking dramatic moments. 

• Members

I'll address the Tom issue first and say that's just symptomatic of the Shorty writers, they have no clue and character's viewpoints and attitudes change episode by episode. Madonna and Vili apparently had sex one episode, then later saying they hadn't had sex yet.

I don't think they've backpedalled that much now on Tom either. He still cheated on Tess and is quick to judge and lash out but Maeve being so unlikable has definitely made Tom not seem so bad. Also Harper was an absolute bitch with how she handled cheating with Tom. She routinely encouraged him and then tried to guilt Drew and say get over it. Then she ends up pregnant despite Drew being unable to father more, but hey it's a miracle!

Though I agree there was a WTF period where the writers changed tack and tried to make Tom a hero, like when that woman showed up pregnant with his baby (since never been mentioned during wedding episodes) and he said he'd step up and have Tom suddenly change to yearn after Tess with no build up after wanting nothing to do with her and promise to treat her like a princess.

I actually like Tom. I still like Tom, I appreciate his flaws and like that he can be an arsehole and still somewhat likable and relatable.

I can't sympathise with the Rico character at all. First what an absolutely dreadful actor. Secondly Rico was told repeatedly that Tom wasn't gay or interested. He still persisted and chased after him repeatedly. Then whilst Tom was asleep was about to sexually assault him and then latched onto the homophobic slur and lied to Jack about what really happened. He was also leading on Jack whilst married to Nathan, so no sympathy that he OD. I do find it strange that Tom is still living in Rico's house though.

As for the character of Rico, what a negative, horrible walking gay cliché the character is. Self loathing, check, lusting after straight guy, check, buying gifts for straight guy, check, no self esteem, check, letting himself be used by straight guy, check and even the victim of self inflicted Gay Panic.

That's something else I want to address, Shortland Street is one of the most homophobic television shows around at the moment.

Desi routinely is homophobic and constantly demeans Leanne's sexuality by calling her dyke and lezzie.

Leanne actually said to Maeve that because she's never been screwed by a guy or been held by one she doesn't and will never understand men.

Then the Gay Panic fiasco.

Then for the second year running a previously straight character turning gay/bisexual out of nowhere.

Although Tess is a disgusting character herself. Literally cannot ever be alone for more than five minutes and jumps at the marriage proposals the first chance she gets. The lowest point was definitely dragging her baby daughter along so she could bang Louie in a garage. C'mon just gross. Also reinforces the ugly stereotypes that you need a man to be happy and that single mums are tramps always trying to provide the next father figure.

I really thought they were going to turn the Tess character around when she started going to therapy with Carla and realised that she is exactly like her mother. Always needy for a man and always relying on men. I'll never forgive the writers for trashing the Carla character beyond repair and making her a cartoon loony because all her advice was spot on, even regarding the Leanne and Nicole situation.

It was also ridiculous with how Tess got with Tom. She literally threw herself at him and told her that he could never push her away and that she'll always love him despite everything and has been routinely upset at him despite knowing how he is like and always distrustful. I also don't buy their love sorry either despite what the producer says. I'm more interested in TK and Cece & Vili and Madonna. 

The cop out of giving Tess the millions was pure BS, now she can say she doesn't rely on men and the writers don't have to do any character progression.

People may find this harsh but Desdemona is a pure C.U.N.T and no not Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent. There is nothing likable about her. She's always mean, ridiculing, jealous, judgemental, condescending, screaming at someone, selfish, immature, egotistical, overbearing, OTT, unnecessarily bitchy and cruel.

I don't mind different and deliberately unlikable characters, but Desi never gets called out on her crap. Almost everyone loves her despite her being a bitch to them, she can scream at someone and they end up apologising to her and she can never genuinely wish someone else well like crapping all over Tess & Tom's wedding. She routinely makes everything about herself and always has to be attention seeking. She's exhausting and the occasional witty one liner doesn't cut it.

She's clearly a production pet as she does PA work, works the reception desk, works in the cafe and behind the bar. Seriously the writers have given her four jobs so a reason to be around four times more often. Very rarely does she miss an episode. She just eats the show.

I didn't like Kellyann much either, though how Boyd used her was disgusting. Though I much preferred Kellyann to Desi even if they were very similar (OTT, pushy, aggressive comedy characters).

Though the problem is that the writers only know how to write three female archetypes. Sluts, victims or the ilk of OTT overbearing caricatures ( Carla, Desi, Leanne, Jojo). Females that don't fit those tropes or are a little more complex are either dumped or backburned (Theo, Michelle, Sophia, Zara, Rani [dumped], Cece, Vivienne, Harper [backburned]). The jury's still out on Francesca and Madonna has veered several times into OTT religious loon and skanky lady (Yes a deeply religious woman that has her knickers around her ankle in public after screwing. Also I thought the whole point over the sex toy storyline was to reduce stigma, have Dawn give Madonna a vibrator).

• Members

I agree with u on all accounts.

do u remember when they turned our beloved Kylie Brown from a sceptical non believer into a open minded person who kinda finds god? Or when she started to become a killing nurse? I will never forgive them for turning her into a serial killer out of nowhere 

some of the writting is inconsistent but the cast is doing their best. 

i Kinda like Maeve. She brought Nicole’s character back to life. I was never a fan of the Vinnie/Nicole pairing.

• Members

You're right Maeve did rejuvenate Nicole after a hideous 2018/2019. I want to like the Nicole & Maeve couple but ever since they got together the writers have given them non stop drama that always has them at loggerheads. Drew and Harper usually get conflicts that bring them together like dealing with Talia and adopting Marley. Maeve and Nicole couldn't even be on the same page about dealing with Leanne.

Why couldn't Maeve & Nicole go camping together in their van and help someone troubled or deal with a medical emergency? We didn't even get to see their delayed honeymoon.

I also don't think it helps that the child actors for Wilder & Pele are beyond awful. Romy, Remy, Marley even Billie & Amelie (the new one) are really good little actors. Wilder mumbles non stop and has weird jerky movements and Pele looks perpetually grumpy and like he doesn't want to be there. Sally & Jess don't seem the most maternal either when they share a scene with them.

I actually liked the Vinnie & Nicole pairing, thought they worked quite well together. 

Please don't remind me about Kylie. I adored Kylie. Kylie helping her mum to die still gets me a bit teary. Absolutely hated her being paired with TK. It was TK's worst pairing by a mile and made him look sleazy. Kylie was way out of his league.

Yes you're right again about the awful Killer Kylie arc (started okay [Well I could sort of see the reasons why] then quickly turned to crap) and then her god awful salvation. I must have tried to scrub the baptism from my brain because that was on the same hellish level as Nicole marrying herself in a ceremony to remain celibate. No, just no.

@AMCOLTLLover

So who have been your all time favourite characters? 

• Members

I definitely had no real sympathy for Rico. The actor was poor (he got better but he was still poor), had no chemistry with Jack, and his stories were just godawful. They were really throwing everything at him early on - leading Jack on and then telling him to stay away, all of Nathan's problems, that strange interlude where he was dismissive of the racism and hate crime against Esther before flying off the handle when  he got the same treatment. I assume the original idea was to have Jack   help him see through Tom, then that was thrown out the window. 

They should probably just pair Jack with Marty, although they seem content to  just have Marty pining and stuck in B-or-C  pairings. I kind of liked  Monique, in spite of everything,  but she was such an obvious plot device, to the point where they kept bringing her back multiple times in the year when that was clearly not intended because they had gotten sidetracked by things like 3 female cast members getting pregnant. 

I have heard about some of the homophobic material (a few years ago didn't they have some psycho evil gay guy stalker on the show, or trying to blackmail a straight man into sex, or something...I can't remember). The Lincoln story  managed to be biphobic and homophobic all at once, with Lincoln so needy and pathetic he strung along Nicole and  Jack, and so selfish that he got high and was locked up while his baby daughter was breathing her last breaths. I still can't believe they  even brought back Jack's drug addict ex just so that he and Lincoln could do drugs and have sex. And of course Jack also had to do drugs for a while...

The most confusing moment  for me was when that woman agreed to get pregnant for Jack and  Lincoln. She backed out because she was reminded  of her rape, but you had Jack on top of her, clearly getting into the moment, playing it romantically, even though he  is meant to be gay. Yes, I get the idea of trying to lighten the mood and not treat it as a misery, but that wasn't how the scene played. It was as if everyone forgot he was not going to be into it. Then afterward they had him say he was relieved to not have to try again because he didn't want to do that again - even though the scene showed no such hesitancy. 

Anyway, I do like the actress who plays  Vivienne...there's something very unique and subtle about her, and she has better chemistry with Chris than Michelle did. 

(I just realized for half of 2021, there were two McLeod's Daughter actresses on soaps)

• Members

That‘s a tough question. I have loved a lot of cast members and their characters but I try to come down with my ultimate favorites:

TONI Warner! Everyone is saying that Rachel was Chris real love but I disagree. Toni and Chris was the best pairing and Toni such an exciting character!
Kylie was one of my favorites and it broke my heart to see her go. But I can understand why she quit with that writing for her at the end lmao

Even TK‘s actor is bored with his character lately and said he was thinking about leaving. I hate losing long time cast members but there is nothing else to do for TK tbh.

My ultimate favorites are:

Rachel McKenna! 
Chris (even though they dumbed him down a lot which is a shame).

Nicole! I adore Sally Martin since her Power Rangers days. Vinnie was one of my favorites too.

Original Kirsty Knight! I saw half of her run and I adored her to pieces!

Rachel, Nicole, Vinnie, Chris, Kylie, Kirsty, Nick, Waverly, Damos, Drew (even though he has been dumbed down too.), Maia, Jonathon McKenna, Libby, Sophie, Brooke, Craig Valentine,   Claire (her being murdered came as a total shock to me), Ula, Phoenix, Tess

Donna Heka! When I started the show she became an instant favorite but she left a couple of weeks/months later and I was so upset. I saw some older stuff from her and I would‘ve loved her even more if I saw more!

Sarah of course! I was saddened when she died. Best pairing for TK!

Luke and Bella. I loved them so much!

Villains I loved were Dom, Callum and Kieran Mitchell. Those 3 really brought something to this show. 

i also liked Sass Warner! It’s a shame she left that show so soon again

Please register in order to view this content

I kinda liked all triplets 

• Members

Honestly I have no clue what the writers intended for Rico apart from having a sad gay character pining after losing his husband. The easy answer would be chuck at him Jack (although I don't think the Jack actor likes playing gay) but who knows. However I did expect Rico back by now. Hopefully he will never come back but I bet he will.

I have no idea why they brought Jack back either. Pointless return.

Hated Monique from the get go. Whiny, needy, selfish, vindictive and constantly making herself a victim. I was shocked at her road rage incident though. I thought she was faking for attention but that attack was very well done. Though as usual a vicious assault casually glossed over and forgotten about.

Not sure you can blame the actresses for getting pregnant throwing the writers room into chaos. It always seems in chaos even without pregnancies and covid. Stories are either dragged out or blink and you'll miss it. Characters change motivations at the drop of a hat episode to episode.

Out of Marty's pathetic romances I loved Waimarama. Great actress and so much potential as a character.

Was the gay stalker character the receptionist that lusted after Finn? I know Nicole had a lesbian stalker after she saved her from being electrocuted I think. 

I was trying to avoid mentioning the Lincoln story as much as possible because it was just so offensive (first time I actively hated Shorty and felt truly repulsed) and basically destroyed Nicole as a character. Jack was never a great character (honestly only Mo was any good from that sh!tfest family and maybe Margaret) but Jack sleeping with a woman was always going to happen. Remember Johnathan Rachel's gay brother and first regular gay character that come back in 2011 and became completely straight bonking Gabrielle. Then there was that rank dream Maia had where she fantasized about having sex with Mark. It's par for the course of Shorty's writers making gay characters turn Bi or Straight. Now they add further insult to injury by making straight characters gay (Leanne & Samira). 

Shortland Street likes to pat themselves on the back about diversity and inclusivity but they are shockingly awful about it when you look beneath the window dressing of a characters makeup. The writing is very backward and nearly always offensive.

Marty is such a useless sap. He would have been perfect for Tess. Two dull, mediocre wafer thin characters paired off in some 'fairytale' wedding living in Chris Warner's spare room.

Agree, I like the actress that plays Vivienne. However they've pretty much ruined Vivienne already. Seriously throwing herself at Dr. Love the first chance she got. I thought the writers were finally getting the message that Chris was no longer a lothario and that he needed to grow up. Then he doesn't even waste a minute after Michelle before chasing after Vivienne causing Liam's mental illness to be exacerbated and then glossing over the fact that he's dead. Vivienne was really disgusting when she walked away and laughed at Liam threatening suicide, especially as she works for a mental health charity, then casually walked out the door. Three minute guilt isn't going to cut it. It's also the second time Chris has treated someone struggling with their mental health in a judgmental dismissive way. Total hypocrite of a character. Always has been probably always will be. 

Edited by Slutty Shauna Fan

• Members

Some great choices.

A little bit shocked to hear TK's actor isn't happy. TK has been bearable for the first time since Sarah was axed. He's finally mature, isn't chasing around after sexy young nurses and has some real depth as a character. 

Luke & Bella were great together. Never much cared for Bella by herself.

I had a love/hate relationship with Rachel but I sorely miss her now. Such a complex character.

Agree Sarah was fantastic. Amanda Billing is very talented. I always thought Craig was better suited for Sarah. I thought Roimata was perfect for TK.

Do you mean Callum McKay? 

Yes I liked all of the triplets too.

Toni Warner was great. I loved her running off with Guy. Chris needed that kick to the ego.

Love Drew too but now he's just the butt of jokes and treated like a joke.

You loved Phoenix! 

I always thought Brooke would come back one day. I did like her sometimes but she was so inconsistently written. Sometimes she was pure bitch other times she was written as a heroine. 

My absolute favourites would have to be Maia, Carla, Justine, Vasa, Kylie, Drew, Sarah, Rani, Libby, Zac, Callum, Mona, Luke, Victoria, Hunter, Grace, Judy, Caroline, Mackenzie, Bree, Emma 

Really like/d Gabrielle, Rachel, Zara, Kirsty, Evan, Murray, Madonna, Vili, Cece, Finn, Frank, Sass, Toni, Craig, Lionel, Jay, Roimata, Stuart, Lana, Damo

Absolutely loathe/d DESI, Dawn, Harper, Jack, Phoenix, Kate, Tracey, Jasmine, Angel, Wendy, Alice, Chris, Leanne more often than not